PDA

View Full Version : Thunder City to launchn 4 Leccy Lightnings

XL391
8th Jun 2006, 09:54
Thundercity to launch 4 Lightnings

Thundercity are planning another record attempt, this time to be the first ever civilian organisation to launch 4 supersonic Lightning interceptor jets simultaneously. This will take place at Africa's largest aerospace exhibition and air show which will be held in the heart of Cape Town from 20-24 September 2006 at the South African Air Force base at Ysterplaat.

The Africa Aerospace & Defence (AAD) is the premier showcase for African aviation and will include many foreign and local exhibitors keen to get a slice in the burgeoning African aviation market. See www.aadexpo.co.za

"We will launch all four of our supersonic English Electric Lightnings in what will be one of the most spectacular formation displays since the end of the Cold War" said Thundercity CEO Mike Beachy Head. "It will also be a chance for our fourth Lightning (Royal Air Force serial number XP693) to make her public debut" said Mike.

Mike's plan is for the Lightning formation to end its display with a spectacular 'bomb-burst' when all four machines will light their afterburners and separate at high speed. "Spectators are advised to wear ear protectors" warns Mike. When the Lightnings go into full power each aircraft will be burning 500 litres of Shell fuel per minute "that's the equivalent of 34 car tanks of petrol per minute" mused Mike.

The Thundercity Lightnings are ZU BBD (XS452), ZU BEX (XS451), ZU BEW (XR773) and XP693 (ZU ?)

I'd love to see this... :E

Gainesy
8th Jun 2006, 10:00
all four machines will light their afterburners and separate at high speed.:uhoh:

One hopes not.

Anyone know what Mr Beachyhead does for a living? And do his mates call him Cliff?

Argonautical
8th Jun 2006, 10:05
I have heard that Mike flies his Lightnings with only a PPL, can anyone confirm?

XL391
8th Jun 2006, 10:07
:D Not bad at all!!

Pontius Navigator
8th Jun 2006, 10:10
500 litres a minute. That is far more economical than the Tomb. Is he right?

Conan the Librarian
8th Jun 2006, 11:02
I do hope that somebody films it and makes same available on the net.

Conan

A2QFI
8th Jun 2006, 11:07
Interesting article here
http://www.africanexplorer.co.za/thundercity/thundercity.htm
Is seems that Mr Head made his money running a courier firm in South Africa. Good luck to him!

GeeRam
8th Jun 2006, 13:44
Hmmm......I remember reading an article some time ago, just after they got XR773 back in the air, that they only had spares support to fly 3 of the 4 at any one time....lifed jet pipes being a particular problem IIRC:confused:

Will certainley be a sight not seen since April 1988.....as I don't think the post RAF use 4 x F.6's that were used at Warton ever got in the air at the same time before one of them was permantly grounded.

And I do believe Mike Beachyhead does fly his Hunter's, Bucc's and Frightning's on a PPL.:D

ORAC
8th Jun 2006, 14:23
IIRC the book figure for the Lightning was 600lbs a minute in full reheat.

Pontius Navigator
8th Jun 2006, 16:54
ORAC, thanks, my brain cells suggest 2000 lb/min on the F4M and it could empty the fuselage before the wings could cross feed allowing a flameout with 4000lb of fuel remaining.

Beagle can you comment?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
8th Jun 2006, 19:12
500 litres of Shell fuel per minute "that's the equivalent of 34 car tanks of petrol per minute" mused Mike
500 divided by 34 is ...

erm ...

... hang on a minute carry three is seven minus thingy..

litres? :confused:

Pontius Navigator
9th Jun 2006, 07:48
Our Xo was Bob Rose. His posting after 228 OCU was as a ground FAC. He said he needed dust on his boots.

We had plenty of burner work. First flight was a burner climb to about 30k. Another, possibly also first, was a low level high speed run, I have no idea what speed we got up to followed by a high gee horizontal turn back.

Exhillarating.

Zoom
9th Jun 2006, 07:58
Pontius
I would agree with your figures. It was entertaining telling people that, despite the huge amount of fuel on board (8 tons or thereabouts and enough to power...etc, etc) one could use it all up in the time it takes to boil an egg. And you're right about being able to flame out with plenty of fuel remaining. Never tried that particular one.