PDA

View Full Version : Foot in mouth

ase engineer
7th Jun 2006, 22:19
From today's Herald - True story, apochryphal story, or just made up?
Anyone know?

On a junket
General Sir Michael Walker, the chief of the defence staff and the country's most senior military commander, below, visited Iraq two weeks ago for a whistle-stop tour aimed at boosting morale among troops stuck in "the Sandpit".
As a line of sweating soldiers was wheeled out to be presented to him in 110º heat, the Great Man asked an RAF flight-lieutenant what his job was.
"I'm a Merlin helicopter pilot, sir." Seizing the moment for a bit of top-brass banter, General Walker pointed to an ageing and woebegone Sea King helicopter languishing by the edge of the runway. "You'll count yourself lucky, then, that you're not flying that piece of junk over there," he quipped.
Moving on to the next pilot in line, he repeated the what-do-you-do question. "I fly that piece of junk over there, sir." Cue embarrassed silence and swift retreat by general.

Archimedes
7th Jun 2006, 22:42
Probably plagiarised from this very site...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226049

(Post no.20)

ase engineer
7th Jun 2006, 22:47
Journalists, plagiarism, oh surely not!

thanks.

diginagain
7th Jun 2006, 22:49
Yep, great sense of humour and irony. They try to teach it at Shrivenham, but few can carry it orf.

Always_broken_in_wilts
8th Jun 2006, 08:15
So not a case of scruffy and ill informed then digger:ugh:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

mitsubishi
10th Jun 2006, 08:27
Lee Jung's version was far funnier to read in the first place anyway!

buoy15
10th Jun 2006, 21:32
As posted on the telegraph thread, the Air Commode (ed sic) CIO, visted 201 Sqn (Nimrod) in 1975 on a morale and recruitment drive, and, after entering the crew room, asked his PSO "What are all these SNCO's doing here?"
Piss poor briefing or what?
After that, it got much better - he learned a lot in a short space of time
Love many, Trust a few, Always paddle your own canoe!

Flap62
11th Jun 2006, 16:37
To be fair, even if he had been briefed, it was still a fair question!

Pontius Navigator
11th Jun 2006, 17:49
Buoy 15, that narrows it down a bit. I was on crew 7 then.