PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow Concorde

777fly
7th Jun 2006, 22:16
I arrived at LHR this morning 7th June after another far east tour. Was it the gritty eyes, jet-lag or a trick of the light, but I could see no sign of the Concorde that has been parked alongside runway 23 for the past year. Anyone know where it is now and if it is on its way to T5 for display?
Hopefully this aircraft will be the subject of careful preservation, if so. It is such a shame that at least one Concorde could not have been kept as a stripped-out, non-reheated display aircraft.If the Vulcan can be restored to flight, surely the same could have been done for Concorde.
I also note that the preserved British Airways VC-10, B707 and Trident at Duxford are to be reduced to cockpit sections only in the near future. That seems to be but a short step from scrapping them completely. These aircraft are the essence of BA's history and should be preserved in their entirety for the future. I know that BA is operating in an economically demanding world now, but it's such a shame that an airline can care so little about its history that it will allow a (relatively) marginal cost saving to sweep it away.

Hand Solo
7th Jun 2006, 22:19
Look about 400m east of the old site and you'll see where Concorde has gone.

777fly
7th Jun 2006, 22:24
Hopefully not to the BAA fire practise area?

411A
7th Jun 2006, 22:56
Sadly, many of the older retired types are preserved for awhile, then scrapped.
A few remain, of course, the Comet, for example.
Before the Comet there was the Stratocruiser.
I was able to fly this really old type for awhile, unfortunately these are but a distant memory.
Nice while it lasted, tho....:\

m5dnd
7th Jun 2006, 23:43
777fly,

You will be relieved to know that the Concorde sits in the Engineering base near the old road crossing point all safe and sound..

DND

Nov71
8th Jun 2006, 01:25
Manchester got its display Concorde after promising an indoor exhibition site. To my knowledge their Concorde is still on a hardstanding, unprotected from the elements.

Phileas Fogg
8th Jun 2006, 15:02
Manchester got its display Concorde after promising an indoor exhibition site. To my knowledge their Concorde is still on a hardstanding, unprotected from the elements.

Could have been worse, had it gone to Liverpool then someone would have had the wheels away :)