PDA

View Full Version : RAF - Trade is open on "competition"

Martin4
7th Jun 2006, 21:49
I have a interview for the RAF in about two weeks time for the FOA - Flight Operations Assistant (not FOA "ATC").

The guys at the AFCO said the trade was now open on competition.

Just wondering what factors they take into consideration? having no GCSE's or qualifications (well... apart from the computer/IT qualification "ECDL") I'm a little concerned as to what they take into consideration, it being a competition i imagine the other candidates with GCSE's etc etc are more likely to be chosen... I realise qualifications aren't everything and the interview will count to but at the end of the day, if there is more people than jobs and most have a good academic qualification background at school and did well in the interview i imagine they would chose those candidates over someone who did equally well in the interview with no qualifications.

Any help would be appreciated,
perhaps I'm just looking at it the wrong way:confused:

Thanks,
Martin

Rev I. Tin
7th Jun 2006, 22:34
Martin4,

You will need to think of an answer when they ask you: 'Why should we take you with no formal qualifications against a bloke with GCSEs?' That is why it is called competition.
What do you have to offer to the trade? Brainbox with no qualifications? Sharp or soft lad?
What do you know about the trade? Have you boned up on current affairs? Latest/future types and weapons?

No, exams aren't everything, but they count for a lot. What do you think will give you the edge over someone who has passed his/her exams? These are the sort of things to think about. Why are you better than them?

Oh, and wear a suit, no white socks. Be smart, call them sir. Be yourself.
Good luck. Good trade to get into.

Blessed are the FOAs. Especially mine.

sirsaltyhelmet
7th Jun 2006, 22:49
Martin,

Qualifications do help, but aptitude helps also, if your GAI score is good from your tests then it will stand you in good stead as well.

Rev said all the good stuff, it is a good trade, loads of variety

Good luck and hope you get it

unclenelli
8th Jun 2006, 00:35
I take it that you also have a full UK driving Licence (and Cat D (minibus) also helps later on in life)

Martin4
8th Jun 2006, 10:08
Thanks for replys guys.

Driving Licence) No, I just have a provisional licence, doesnt seem to be a problem....

GAI Score) I passed for FOA but i dont think it was way over the mark :(.

I have another question, the way the guys at the AFCO were talking it sounded like trades arent always on competition, perhaps the other way of recruiting is like 'first come, first served' (providing they made the grade and were suitable), is that correct?

As you lads will know there is a second choice on the form to fill in, might be worth putting something else down to incase im not offered FOA... That second choice being painter and finisher, having been helping out a local painter i wouldnt mind doing that in the RAF then perhaps apply to re-train a little down the line, at least it would be another way to get in, right?

Thanks,
Martin

speeddial
8th Jun 2006, 10:45
Why not consider something more miltary minded for your second choice such as the Regiment or armourer etc, it makes you look more commited to military matters?

ratty1
8th Jun 2006, 10:56
Why not consider something more miltary minded for your second choice such as the Regiment or armourer etc, it makes you look more commited to military matters?

More military minded? Surely the fact that he wants to join the Royal Air Force shows that he is committed to a military organisation.

Wyler
8th Jun 2006, 11:03
Definitely a second choice and make sure you are well versed in its requirements. As has been said, you are a commodity and you have to convince them that you are the best risk for their pounds sterling.

They also work on quotas so do not be surprised if they try to 'sell' you another job.

Good luck.

FrogPrince
8th Jun 2006, 11:35
Is the FOA course at Strawberry modularised for the RAuxAF ? If so, how is the L&D delivered ? Traditional distance learning by manuals, on a CD-Rom package or via the RLI ?

FP

FOMere2eternity
8th Jun 2006, 11:40
Martin

In answer to your further question, trades vary depending on current and forecast manning levels. The fact that FOA is competition would be better described as 'open' as opposed to 'closed'! I know FOA is currently not as well manned as we would like it to be, so you stand a good chance of getting in unless you're a complete numpty.

As for your second choice, it depends why you want to join really. If you'd be happy doing anything you could very well end up doing a dumbass job that they're struggling to fill or everyone is leaving from because it's cr*p!

The careers offices have quotas and are encouraged to fill current shortfalls before your choices are necessarily met - it's just the way they do business. For example, if you applied for RAF Regt Gunner they'd snap your hand off. I have heard of them conning people by saying, for example, they can't have FOA until next year, but you can join today as a MT Driver and transfer easily later on. That is bollocks!

All depends on what YOU want fitting in with the Service and whether you'd be willing to compromise if offered.

c-bert
8th Jun 2006, 12:37
FrogPrince you have a pm.

sirsaltyhelmet
8th Jun 2006, 13:25
Is the FOA course at Strawberry modularised for the RAuxAF ? If so, how is the L&D delivered ? Traditional distance learning by manuals, on a CD-Rom package or via the RLI ?

FP

Some RAuxAF have an instructor FOM on board. They do the course in modules at the relevant unit