PDA

View Full Version : Flying in China

nipper1
7th Jun 2006, 21:12
I have to go to China for a month in August and have the totally mad notion that it might be possible to fly a light aircraft once I get there. I'm going to Qingdao.

Does anyone know anything usefull? Have I totally lost the plot?

I have a UK PPL by the way.

kluge
8th Jun 2006, 04:01
Yep - totally lost the plot !

If you have time nearest places to fly are in HK with the HK Aviation club or take a flight to Phillipines, Manilla, Cebu or Clarke.

Good beer in Tsingdao though and the girls are very pretty.

IO540
8th Jun 2006, 06:22
I think that GA in China is waking up, and when it does, it will explode beyond anything we have ever seen in Europe.

Not exactly hard to do since most of Europe has virtually no GA.

kluge
8th Jun 2006, 10:15
You'll have to learn Mandrin though. Forget the 'english is the language of aviation' if it ever does take off. It will be a mess of the highest order.

Hate to sound callous toward our bretheren up norff but it should make for great spectator sport though.

pilotho
8th Jun 2006, 16:56
i asked a similar question about flying in HK with a UK PPL

i've emailed the CFI at HK aviation club stating that i have a PPL and keeps replying that i take an introductory flight. i dont know if his english is poor or he's trying to state something.

i think i remember my instructor saying that with a UK PPL you could fly anywhere in the world only in a G reg aircraft. i am not sure its true but it makes no sense to me. how could a cessna be different in another reg. i agree that the pilot should go up for a check ride with the instructor first to fimiliarise with the local airspace but the admin side of it is stupid i think

kluge
9th Jun 2006, 04:15
pilotho

Give them a call and ask to speak to the CFI - an Indian chap very qualified, ex military English perfect. Chandra or Gupta I think is his name. Don;t bother with the monkeys on reception.

They will not let you go by yourself - and should not IMHO. The local weather is changeable especially now and its very mountainous.

THe Phillipines is a much better option, cheaper and the girls are prettier.
Try Maynard Haleely +63-2851-2228 for a Pitts or Decathlon ride over Manilla.

(1.5hrs flight time from HK on CX).

MyData
9th Jun 2006, 08:29
Have just returned from a couple of weeks in the PRC. My guide in Beijing asked what I do in my spare time. 'Flying' I answered. He didn't understand. I explained that I fly aeroplanes as a private pilot for my own personal recreation. He was stumped and bemused. He just couldn't comprehend that a private citizen would have the means or desire to fly for personal reasons.

I then took a closer look at airports we flew from around the country. No Pipers, Cessnas etc. - but a number of corporate jets from GB, EUR and USA.

By chance I read an article in a newspaper on the flight home. The number of GA aircraft in the whole of China (pop. 1.4bn people) is in the hundreds. The number of privately owned aircraft - i.e. by individuals and not clubs etc. is less than 100.

I guess many of them will be in Hong Kong so that will be your best option by far. Give us an update on how you get on.

kluge
9th Jun 2006, 08:39
If you ever get the opportunity try riding a motorcycle in China - the other road users will put you off for life. Extrapolate this to private aircraft use - even when the tiny fraction of literate people with enough disposable income have the opportunity to purchase an a/c - you will have disaster. Don't wish to sound prejudice (I've been here and in PRC for over 15 yrs) but the majority of people up there - and especiallyu the ones with money - are idiots. Sorry.