PDA

View Full Version : Charity flights

QDMQDMQDM
7th Jun 2006, 17:33
Sorry, I know this has been dealt with before, but I can't seem to find anything on it.

I have been asked to offer a flight for a charity auction. What is the deal on this? Can I do it? Do I want to do it?

172driver
7th Jun 2006, 17:56
QDM

Funny you should mention this - same happened to me a couple of days ago. Just rummaged through the NATS AIP site (which does not have a 'search' function :confused: ) but cannot find anything either. A Google search brings up an old Pprune thread (not very enlightening), and a page on the CAA website stating Information regarding Charity Flights can be found at AIS Web Site under Aeronautical Information Circular (AIC) 76/2003. Which brings us back to square one...... :ugh:

Legalapproach
7th Jun 2006, 20:10
Was looking at this recently. The information is on the AIS website but I cannot open it at present or I would post the link. There are a number of guidelines although the CAA have to issue a permission with conditions for each flight and are flexible to a degree. From what I remember, the flight has to be on behalf of a registered charity who are not the owners of the aircraft.
Guidelines for these conditions are to be found in AIC 79/2005 (white 114) and include for the pilot; PPL with minimum 200hrs PIC, 25 hours on type, 3hrs PIC and 3 flights as handling pilot in the preceding 30 days. Aircraft requirements are a C of A (not a permit) and the preceding 50 hr check and any subsequent pilot maintenance to be certified by a licensed aircraft engineer. The flight must take place from a licensed or government aerodrome. There are also certain weather minima (2000 cloud base and 8km visibility) together with restrictions on aerobatics and formation flying. The written authority of the CAA must be obtained before the flight and it should be noted that the above requirements are guidelines and the CAA will consider individual proposals on a case-by-case basis.
edited to include the following:
9.1 Completed applications should be sent to: Civil Aviation Authority, General Aviation Department, Operations Section, Aviation
House (1W), South Area, London Gatwick Airport, West Sussex, RH6 0YR (Tel: 01293-573526, Fax: 01293-573973).
10 Maximum possible advance notice should be given for applications (normally not less than 28 days).
11 The organiser is to ensure that the necessary permission (either under the General Permission or by application) is in place prior
to any flight tickets being sold, bid for, auctioned or drawn.
12 Prospective passengers must be made aware that flights do not fully comply with commercial air transport regulations.

172driver
7th Jun 2006, 20:26
Now, to complicate this: what if said charity flight takes place in a JAR country in an a/c registered in same JAR country, NOT the UK, but the pilot holds a CAA/JAA PPL ? :confused: :confused:

Not making this up as a teaser, btw. :=

Legalapproach
7th Jun 2006, 20:56
I suspect that it will depend upon the rules of the country in which the aircraft is registered. The ANO applies to any UK aircraft anywhere in the world - although with a proviso that this is subject to any any local law if it over-rides. A local law would not, however, permit a charity flight in a UK registered aircraft.

It would follow that the applicable law will be either that of the country in which the flight takes place or that of the country in which the aircraft is registered assuming it has the same applicability as the ANO.

Where and where then?

172driver
7th Jun 2006, 21:19
I suspect that it will depend upon the rules of the country in which the aircraft is registered. The ANO applies to any UK aircraft anywhere in the world - although with a proviso that this is subject to any any local law if it over-rides. A local law would not, however, permit a charity flight in a UK registered aircraft.
It would follow that the applicable law will be either that of the country in which the flight takes place or that of the country in which the aircraft is registered assuming it has the same applicability as the ANO.
Where and where then?

Hmmmm, interesting. Since you ask, the flight in question would be in Spain in an EC-reg a/c, departing from a government a/d. G-reg therefore not an issue. Interestingly the FAA have pretty clear rules in a case like this (then again, they don't have JARs to contend with :ugh: )

Now: what do these same JARs say about this ?

Cricket23
7th Jun 2006, 21:49
...interesting thread.

I was thinking about offering flights to a children's hospice. They wouldn't have to pay anything, I am just wanting to offer a child in his/her last days a bit of sunshine.

Are there any rules that should be obeyed like those above, or as they would not be paying anything are they just normalpax?

C23

Henry Hallam
7th Jun 2006, 21:56
I think they would just be normal passengers.

QDMQDMQDM
7th Jun 2006, 21:57
OK, sounds like it's a real PITA. I shall tell them I can't do it.

Thx everyone.

Legalapproach
7th Jun 2006, 22:00
Cricket 23

If there is no payment then this does not come under aerial work/charity flight exemption and so there should be no problem. It would be no different to offering to take a friend or anyone else up for a jolly. The charity flight provision only arises because the definition of "valuable consideration" being made for a flight turns it into aerial work or public transport. If there is no valuable consideration then it remains a private flight. Nice offer BTW.:ok:
Maybe more of us shoulf think about it.
172 Driver
Would have to check up on the Spanish equiv to the ANO

172driver
7th Jun 2006, 22:00
I am just wanting to offer a child in his/her last days a bit of sunshine.C23

:ok: :ok: :ok: what more can I say ?

172driver
7th Jun 2006, 22:03
Would have to check up on the Spanish equiv to the ANO

Will do - interesting that there doesn't seem to be (at least according to this thread) a JAA rule re this.