PDA

View Full Version : Bristol/Filton

Dimensional
7th Jun 2006, 08:43
Due to be flying into Filton 13/6, for a meeting at Airbus -- any top tips for a newly-minted IMCR holder? :bored:

Chilli Monster
7th Jun 2006, 10:27
1) Check the NOTAM's - Radar is NOT guaranteed due to staffing shortages. If you want to go there and you want to exercise those new privileges you might find yourself going round the hold waiting your turn.

2) Phone Ops for PPR first (numbers in the books)

3) Don't flare too high on finals! (that 300ft wide runway has that effect on people sometimes)

Other than that - friendly place, friendly ATC, no great problems operating in or out of there.

Fournicator
7th Jun 2006, 12:27
I dunno, maybe you could ask any friends you've got who used to fly a lot around that area............

Flik Roll
7th Jun 2006, 14:01
Do not be put off by the interesting dialect! :}

Be prepared, if doing an ILS etc. to be asked to expedite speed wise as they are often inbound traffic heavy! Have been twice and both times got asked to speed up, despite being in a single.

Relatively easy to locate and also be prepared for possibly having to be a low level over the channel. You should be ok as you are coming from the East. Enjoy! Pop in and say hi ;)

Dimensional
7th Jun 2006, 16:03
CM: cheers. Used to stupidly large runways! (based at an ex-V bomber station ;) )

4: Friends? I didn't know you had those. :zzz:

Chilli Monster
7th Jun 2006, 16:34
CM: cheers. Used to stupidly large runways! (based at an ex-V bomber station ;) )
This one's 50% wider again :)
Be prepared, if doing an ILS etc. to be asked to expedite speed wise as they are often inbound traffic heavy! Have been twice and both times got asked to speed up, despite being in a single.
Certainly wasn't me ;)

Fournicator
7th Jun 2006, 17:51
Dim:
Let's not have this discussion here, people might get offended. You still like them though, you know, the little ones..........