PDA

View Full Version : FJ pilot height

Joker89
7th Jun 2006, 02:41
Hello
I am currently trying to get into the RAAF as a pilot and have got some great info from this site. The other day I managed to visit a base and got to sit in a F/A-18. I am about 6'2 or 187cm and I have scraped through the height restrictions but was wondering from a practical sense how tall a FJ pilot can be. It was fairly cramped and it seems to be ideal if you are between 5'6 and 5'10.

I did a search but couldn't find anything. Whats the tallest FJ pilot you have come across?

Cheers.

airborne_artist
7th Jun 2006, 07:30
see this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146257&highlight=aircrew+height)

Zoom
7th Jun 2006, 12:10
I knew a 6' 7" pilot who flew Hunters then Phantoms. He was way too tall for the Hunter and flew in a very crouched position with his bonedome pressed against the canopy. His (personally declared) drill for ejecting was to blow the canopy first, straighten up and then reach for the top handle. He had tons of room in the Phantom though, as did everyone.

Storm_Shadow
19th Jul 2007, 22:26
Im hoping to be off to OASC at RAF Cranwell soon and was wondering if anyone knows the height restrictions that are put on fast jet pilots. Also the shoulder to thumb, buttock to knee lenghts aswell. Just to make sure im not in for the biggest dissappointment of my life.

Runaway Gun
20th Jul 2007, 01:15
It's probably best just to wait and to get measured up by the experts. You don't want to get it wrong and disappoint yourself unnecessarily do you?

Besides, there's also multi-engine and helicopter flying careers available. Whilst it's terrific to strive to become a fast jet pilot (and of course that is initially the aim of 95% of applicants), the other options are no less rewarding or important.

Best of luck :)

kiwi chick
20th Jul 2007, 01:21
And just to add something negative... :{

I was measured up and told to be a "perfect" fit for the jets in our Air Force (we did actually HAVE some once, haha!) only to be told two hours later that I was too light...

So don't hang everything on being "a good fit" in this world - if you are wanting to fly for the right reasons (ie you would cease to breathe if you couldn't) then something, somewhere, somehow, will come along.

Good luck :ok:!

L J R
20th Jul 2007, 02:36
Kiwi Chick, can I have your phone number?

kiwi chick
20th Jul 2007, 02:45
Oh my! I normally get asked for measurements first ;)

Did i say something right, or wrong? :E

BluntM8
20th Jul 2007, 06:33
Did you search the Sticky Thread at the top of the page entitled "Joining as a pilot, OASC, various discussion merged" ? It took me less than a minute to find the information you've asked for, and I'm doing something else at the same time.

Look for http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3364373&highlight=height#post3364373 or post 1772 in the thread.

BluntM8

(Mods, another to add to the sticky/delete as you see fit.)

Pontius Navigator
20th Jul 2007, 06:37
'course to add to Kiwi Chick, probably more than 8 st otherwise become a sports parachutist.

oh, and good situational awareness, 20-20 visions etc, like look all round a computer screen before you click SEND or EJECT :}

OCCWMF
20th Jul 2007, 08:28
Not below 250 ft unless in a range or OLFing when it's 100ft.

:}

Storm_Shadow
20th Jul 2007, 16:16
Thanks guys shouldnt have any worries with that just wanted a rough idea.

dagowly
20th Jul 2007, 16:33
going on the forum i have infront of me..

no height restrictions
Weight - 57-94KG
Functional reach - 720mm MIN
Sitting height - 865-990mm
Buttock-knee - 560-660mm
Buttock-Heel - 1000-1200mm

As far as i know, thats accurate to date.
Steve

dagowly
20th Jul 2007, 17:23
the common mistake made by many. You won't grow much more, unless you're a midget now. I've not grown in height since i was 14 :eek: i'm still 1727mm :D

kiwi chick
22nd Jul 2007, 21:54
Hey i haven't grown since i was 14 either - and in fact I think i might even be beginning to shrink... :eek:

27mm
23rd Jul 2007, 08:55
Sometimes even the system gets it wrong - some years back RAF F4 driver, having completed a tour and some 650 hours, was posted to the (then) shiny new Tornado. He duly pitched up at Aeromed centre for the ususl measuring aand fitting of flying kit. During the measuring, the aeromed staff said that it was a good job he wouldn't be flying F4s as he was too long in the back for the them!

effortless
23rd Jul 2007, 09:28
When I signed up the main restrictions were weight, height and inside leg. At 32 ins I was near the limit for inside leg.
I believe that the currernt regs include left wrist diameter. Gotta be able to carry off that big watch son.:ok:

Wader2
23rd Jul 2007, 10:32
I believe that the currernt regs include left wrist diameter.

As opposed to right wrist in your day? :}

effortless
23rd Jul 2007, 16:47
As opposed to right wrist in your day?

Sorry chap I can't quite see what you have written. Eysight seems to be getting worse.:}

PPRuNe Towers
23rd Jul 2007, 16:53
Does it have a kinetic movement?

kiwi chick
23rd Jul 2007, 23:15
I wear mine on my right wrist as well - but I think I've missed the dig?!

Went right over my head im afraid, :bored:

L J R
24th Jul 2007, 00:30
.........yeah right!

kiwi chick
24th Jul 2007, 01:06
haha! no, really! Is it a boy thing? :confused:

nunquamparatus
24th Jul 2007, 02:33
Generally most FJ pilots seem to get around the height restriction thing. In Gotke's case it was switching his Charlie off ................ naughty Goatie. First SHAR in space .................:=

Wader2
24th Jul 2007, 09:30
I wear mine on my right wrist as well - but I think I've missed the dig?!

Went right over my head im afraid, :bored:

Yes Kiwi, it is indeed a boys thing. Very glad it went over your head.:)

Wader2
24th Jul 2007, 09:34
Aidu said:

I wear my watch on my right wrist.

and

I am not sure if it does have kinetic movement, but it is self winding.

Oh dear, deep water