PDA

View Full Version : Aussie to Canadian ATP

halfhardt-6
7th Jun 2006, 01:24
Hi Guys,
Could anyone in the know shed some light on what is involved in converting a foreign ATP ( in my case an Australian) to a Canadian(have a Canadian passport).
Also, what is the scene like at the moment as far as jobs with Jazz, Air Canada, Westjet or corporate.
Thanks. Half-hard.

Checkster
8th Jun 2006, 07:48
Went through this last year with my JAA ATPL but I already had the Canadian CPL. I did my conversion in Vancouver and the guys at the transport office downtown were great. Email for ya:

[email protected]

They'll answer all your questions. Nothings set in stone. They seem to do things on a case specific basis. Good luck.

As for the employment situation, there are jobs around with lots of qualified applicants. Same old story. Wish you all the best.

QTP
11th Jun 2006, 11:00
I'm heading over to Toronto on Friday with my Aussie ATPL and Logbooks in hand. I'll take 'em to a Transport Canada office and see what they're willing to offer me. Will let you know how it pans out when I get back mid July........sounds like there are a few jobs over there right now.

jurassic
16th Jun 2006, 14:35
Actually, it is pretty straight forward. You either meet the requirements or you don't. Checkster said "it is not cast in stone". It is however, black and white. Look at CARS 421.34 If you have a valid Canadian Multi IFR, (Group 1) and write the SAMRA and SARON and meet the very well defined minimum hours, then you can apply.
I think where people think things are handled on a case by case basis, they have some ambiguous hours.
eg: "I logged PIC while my friend was logging dual"
"I was flying with friend while he was doing a cargo run so I logged dual"
Also watch for right seat on a single pilot aircraft. You are not an F/O unless the ops manual requires an F/O. Also remember that F/O time counts at 50%.

Good Luck

Checkster
17th Jun 2006, 12:42
Maybe I used the wrong expression, not all that skilled in the grammar department. Just explaining my own experiences. Had some PICUS that I needed to include so I had to prove my Airline had an approved Airline Pilot Training Program in place. I provided all the paper work and the gentlemen at TC were more than happy to help me out. Last time I checked with TC Canada the Boeing 737 is a Multi Crew aircraft. No smoke and mirrors here I don't think:ok:

jurassic
17th Jun 2006, 13:52
Checkster,

There is actually a bit of smoke and mirrors if you included PICUS. I'm sure it is unintentional on your part, but PICUS does only count towards the ATPL if it is done on a Canadian Commercial Licence flying for a Canadian airline. The CARS has a statement that states something to the effect "any licence, permit etc....refers to a Canadian Licence." That would mean that if you did PICUS on an FAA or any other licence, it does not meet the requirements.
Personally, I don't see why they shouldn't allow it if it as an approved program in the country you were flying in. If you fly a Cessna 150 enough, you can qualify for all the PIC you need for an ATPL as long as at some point in the last year you have done a Multi IFR flight test.

Just curious, were you short of PIC? Is that why you needed PICUS?

My personal view is that time on a Transport Category Jet, should count more than time on a C-150 yet right seat time on a jet counts for half of what the credit is for going around in circles in a little airplane. Left seat time in a jet gets the same credit as time in a C-150.

Thanks,
Jurassic