PDA

View Full Version : Cathay vs FedEx

grungebug
6th Jun 2006, 23:52
Looking to you, the gents of experience, to help me out. I was hoping to get thoughts, advice, and willing to accept even a little sarcasm in order to find out whether FedEx or Cathay offers the best career option taking pay and QOL into consideration. I've come to a pretty big crossroad as far as career decisions and would like to hear from actual operators. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Elroy Jettson
7th Jun 2006, 00:15
Both good paying gigs, you are in a pretty fortunate position if you have both offers sitting on your table, they both have strong positive outlooks. You can choose depending on where you want to live, whether you are a lifestyler or command junkie, which one is going to give you the results you wanted to have achieved in the next 20 years?

Good luck with the decision. :ok:

cpdude
7th Jun 2006, 00:29
Looking to you, the gents of experience, to help me out. I was hoping to get thoughts, advice, and willing to accept even a little sarcasm in order to find out whether FedEx or Cathay offers the best career option taking pay and QOL into consideration. I've come to a pretty big crossroad as far as career decisions and would like to hear from actual operators. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

FedEx is not Delta, United etc. It is relatively secure with good pay and conditions so go FedEx, for the simple reason that you will have retirement medical benefits.:ok:

hog tied
7th Jun 2006, 00:29
Fedex. No question.

grungebug
7th Jun 2006, 00:58
Great insight guys. I appreciate your time and advice.

J32drivr
7th Jun 2006, 01:08
A lot of it depends on where you live, where you want to live, and (in my opinion) how many years you have left in the biz. I'm a little biased myself, but Cathay has a lot of various opportunities that Fedex cant offer. The chance to fly pax or cargo, quicker upgrade time for us US based guys, the housing allowance when you move to HK (think free equity). Also, Cathay has more bases to choose from, and when you make the transition to the pax fleet, you can TDY yourself (for 2-4 months) to any of the other domiciles and literally "see the world". However, with Fedex you will definetely make more money, at least at this time. But here's the big thing, IN MY OPINION. Cathay (and the Swire Group) is very closely tied with Hong Kong, and always will be. As long as China is a growing economy, Cathay will continue to be involved and capitalize on that. Fedex is an american airline. My only fear with Fedex is that as time goes by, the same thing might happen to Fedex that has happened to the legacies-growing costs and continued outsourcing (with companies like Gemini, etc.). ESPECIALLY when Fred isnt around anymore and the company is being run by excecutives who dont have that "personal" attachment to it, and are there only to make themselves richer in the short term and bail out at the expense of the employees and the overall health of the company, just like the other heroes running US airlines. Cathay management may make some unpopular decisions sometimes, but I don't see them ever sacrificing the company. PURE SPECULATION, but something to consider, especially if you have 20+ years left. Again, I AM a little bit biased myself

Drunknsailor
7th Jun 2006, 04:42
At CX, they'll make your coffee for you(on the pax side anyways) while at FEDEX, (or CX freight) you'll never have to listen to them complain about the temperature!! Ah choices!!

frankg
8th Jun 2006, 00:28
At FedEx there's a good chance you and 48 others won't get sacked 'for no particular reason'. There's also a good chance at FedEx that the pass rate for command is somewhere above zero, unlike a recent Airbus course at CX.

Sqwak7700
8th Jun 2006, 09:25
At FedEx there's a good chance you and 48 others won't get sacked 'for no particular reason'. There's also a good chance at FedEx that the pass rate for command is somewhere above zero, unlike a recent Airbus course at CX.

Good point, made me laugh. One of those things you read and start laughing, but eventually and slowly the laugh disappears and you sit there thinking....

:} :) :confused: :uhoh: :( :{

For one, I'm sure FedEx trains to proficiency and does not have a review board to scrutinize your training. :hmm:

Sonic Zepplin
8th Jun 2006, 12:20
CX or FedEx.

The growth of CX over the years has truly been amazing if not for the growth of CHINA. #1 rated airline in the world from #10 in a very short time. But like all else, and this may sound a bit nationalistic for you commonwealth guys, which I am sure to receive a bashing from:ugh:

Its difficult to beat the FedEx business model which was the first of its kind. As for the management style, I would have to vote FedEx:D .

Either one is a good choice it really boils down to who is going to give you less grief over the term of your employ, and if you have read the FRAGRENT HARBOR threads, I doubt you would find any similarities at Fed EX.

ASIA is the growth market and FedEx is deep into ASIA GO FEDEX:ok:

As for me:mad: I am on standby

Goonybird
8th Jun 2006, 17:46
Easy decision..100% GO FEDEX.

6feetunder
9th Jun 2006, 23:56
A dozen years or so ago the MD at CX (Rod Eddington) stated that the company's goal was to get their crew costs to the same level as SQ. Take a look at what has happened in Singapore over the last decade, nothing but decline. Chasing something down a hill means you both end up at the bottom.

I don't think this is a philosophy shared by FedEx management.

alohajec
10th Jun 2006, 08:16
CX may have some advantages (don't ask me what they are) but without a doubt, FedEx is an easy decision. If you have a class date with them don't even hesitate. Take it. Coming from a U.S. airline background and now working for CX, despite the dismal condition of the U.S. 121 carriers now (FedEx as you know doesn't fall in this "category"), you're better off with the Blue and Orange....even if u do have to live in Graceland!

Aloha!

skywerd
16th Jun 2006, 21:19
May I throw a rabbit trail into this discussion?
I was just recommendations to UPS and am soliciting further recommendations.

UPS or CX?:bored:

sisyphos
22nd Jun 2006, 13:10
cx is only a possible alternative in my opinion if you (and your family) want to live in hong kong for a significant period of time.
basing t&c are definitely no match compared to fed ex ( significantly lower basic,no housing, no schooling,boring flight duty).

I would go for fed ex.

The Messiah
24th Jun 2006, 07:00
Had the pleasure of playing golf with a Fedex skipper last week in Penang.

Fedex all the way.

cpdude
24th Jun 2006, 14:09
Let's just clear this up a bit. If the choice is an airline in Asia or the Middle East, CX should be your first choice. But, if you are eligible for employment with FedEx or UPS and you get the call...don't be stupid...goooooooooo!:rolleyes:

Subdubber
24th Jun 2006, 19:22
I have interviewed at both...work at FedEx if you have a huge ego...work at CX ...and you will fit in just fine if you are a normal person! No matter what you do don't choose your job based purely on the money... both of these companies will be around until the end of the world, and you will be happiest where you fit in...

cpdude
24th Jun 2006, 19:58
I have interviewed at both...

Just curious...were you offered a job at both? Where are you now?:hmm:

junior_man
25th Jun 2006, 00:08
Both are good companies.
It depends on what you want to do in life. If you are actually offered employment with both, then base your decision on what fits best with you. Both airlines have an international cargo operation. Fed Ex also has a large US domestic overnight package delivery operation. Cathay has a large international passenger operation. With Fed Ex you will be based in the US (unless you bid Subic) with Cathay you can be based in the US but your career will be far better if you want to go to Hong Kong, and you could also bid for other bases in the world if you have the right of abode.
So decide what you want, passenger or always freight? Do you want to live in Memphis or Hong Kong (or commute)? Are you interested in new cultures and people, or is a ride on a NYC subway enough for you? If you go to Fed Ex it will be easy to fit in as an American. If you go to Cathay you will have to adapt to a slightly different culture.
If you are actually lucky enough to have an offer from both, decide carefully and include your family in the decision. If you are looking for work, apply at both, as getting hired at either isn't as simple as sending in an application.