PDA

View Full Version : BUCKINGHAMSHIRE UNI FLYING TRAINING

Daultonio
6th Jun 2006, 21:01
Hi there all. Iam off to the university of bucks a new course that has been going for 2 years is there any around who is going or who is on the course now, could tell me a bit about the course etc cheers

Ringway004
7th Jun 2006, 13:20
Hi there, i've actually applied for the dsame course and been for my interview/aptitude assesment and passed, just waiting for my A levels to finish, i've actually been to bcuc and was impressed with the course and uni, its quiet a unique course and is combined with a BA honousrs degree at the same time as well as studying for commercial pilot training. I know a number of people who've also applied for the same course and as u would expect we're all kinda excited to start this year:) , but from what ive gathered in my opinion i like the course and what it offers if u want more specific info email the john furley the head of the course at bcuc, i've also got a blogg of someones first yr there and it sounds really good. good luck anyway:cool:

sicky
7th Jun 2006, 17:50
Is this blog available for public viewing?

planecrazy.eu
7th Jun 2006, 22:05
Hey, im off the BCUC too, got an Unconditional place, but i also have a place at Brunel too, but BCUC seems to be the better of the two...

My only concern with BCUC is that its a modular ATPL and not integrated, and some people i have talked to seem to frown on Modular pilots, when i would have thought it should be the other way around?

To my thinking a modular pilot has had to either work or study at the same time as taking training, where as a integrated pilot has just concentrated on training and no uni or job. I have great respect for people who do open uni degrees, and i feel the same should be applied to people who have worked 40 hour weeks and still managed to train for the ATPL.

I too would like to see this blog, PPL with BCUC is shy of £8000 so i will do mine on my own i think...

IwannaBflying
8th Jun 2006, 00:29
Wow, Glad its not only me excited - unlike you planecrazy.eu (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=143697) vbmenu_register("postmenu_2640753", true); i have been given a conditional place for the BCUC course - cant wait. Like you (went to cranfield?) for the pilapt assessment, and as of monday - passed my class 1 medical at gatwick. Hope to see you on the course in september! - like you said, any questions, drop john furley an email - he helped me!

I asked what is best - to go for class 2 medical and wait until pass PPL before upgrading to class 1, but he suggested go straight for class 1 if ATPL is your goal - then you know how far your body will let you go - ie, no point studying beyond PPL if you might fail class 1!!!

good luck all of you! might hopefully see you in september (good luck with exams etc!)

Ringway004
8th Jun 2006, 11:49
wow, keep them posts coming, i'm amazed at how many people r doing this course:) u must be over the moon now u've passed ur medical, im hoping to take mine after exams, and yes it is better to go straight for the class 1 so to avoid any dissapointment later. I'l post the link to the blog sometime this evening, i got it off another freind doing the same course, i'll ask him, but i'm sure he won't mind afterall i think its excellent and a good insight for what to expect on the course, good luck to you all :)

rich poole
8th Jun 2006, 12:04
Hi everyone, glad you’re all looking at this course, I think its great as it also gives a back up to the ATPLs. I wouldn’t worry about integrated or modular, because at the end of the day you come out with the same bit of paper and if you prove yourself at interview then you're in. And like planecrazy.eu said it shows hard work along with widening your sites in an ever changing industry.
Hi Ringway004, we can give them the link cant we, I’m sure that’s what its there for?! lol.
http://www.geocities.com/bkoprowski/

I also went for my class 1 medical on Wednesday and passed. YAY! Can't wait to start what should be an exciting course. BTW the £8000 covers accommodation in the states as well :)
Any more questions just 'pm' me.

Rich

Ringway004
8th Jun 2006, 21:08
lol hi rich welcome to the bcuc forum lol:) , ye i say we should give em the blogg its def worth it, hey congards on ur medical pass, i cant wait to get mine out the way, how was it? actually tell us bout it nxt time we chat;)

IwannaBflying
8th Jun 2006, 23:14
Hi guys,

You can probably tell im quite new to this lot - (not the flying) the forum things! whats the blog???? apart from that - congrats with your medicals (am i allowed to say it wasn't quite as bad as i thought!???) although it was very indepth, wasn't too bad - i just had to remind myself there wasn't much that i could do about it - it was down to my body to see if it would let me!!!

Cheers guys, its great to talk about it all, im getting more excited thinking and talking about it!

rich poole
9th Jun 2006, 07:02
Hi, ya i didnt think the medical was as bad as it's made out to be ( am i allowed to say that?) But i knew my eyes were okay therefore jst down to my ticker lol.

Has anyone had a letter about the 'Pre HE study skills programme'? Are you going to go on it?

Rich

Ringway004
9th Jun 2006, 09:30
Hi, ye i actually got a letter asking me if i wanna to the HE study skills before commencing the course, I've replied to them and sent my slip off, i thought might aswell get a taster of uni work before strating, especially those lectures where i've herd u do alot of writing and notes:)
have u got urs yet?

rich poole
9th Jun 2006, 12:18
Ya ive got a letter but have yet to send it off. Do you no if the first day (29th) is an 'arriving' day or does the course start then? If it starts on the 30th i'll travell down that morning. Anyone else going on this introduction or indeed starting the course in september?

Ringway004
9th Jun 2006, 22:48
hi, ye i think it starts on the 30th so like u i'l have to go down on the 29th, ait said accommodations was free apart form the lunch n food, im waitin for a furhter reply from them.

IwannaBflying
11th Jun 2006, 00:07
Hi guys - I havent had a letter yet! :( anyway - putting the HE pre study thing aside - i thought the term started 18th september??? email from John Furley Said ".......hopefully see you at the start of the course on 18th Sept" ARE WE TALKING ABOUT THE SAME COURSE!!! or am I being thick and getting confused!

Whats this HE thing you guys are doing anyway?

Daultonio
12th Jun 2006, 20:54
wow great to see so many people going there. I have got in and i will be seeing you all there in september whos off to the pre prep then??, how much did you pay for your class 1 medical i have my PPL medical but like you say it ids not much help having the PPL when you are studying for ATPL...... cheers

planecrazy.eu
12th Jun 2006, 22:46
What halls are everyone staying in, if any? Does anyone know what Welsbourne is like as a Town and the nearest student activity area? I know we are there for study, but we are also there to have a good time in my opinion and study should be rewarded by some fun and a few beers. Party Hard but Work Harder, words of Wisdom by a friend?

IwannaBflying
13th Jun 2006, 23:43
Havent got in yet, or at least i don't know that i have!!!
if i get in then hopefully chalfont (sp???) is where i want to be but as you said, anywhere really - a bed and a desk!!! ( and the pub for after!)

class 1 medical - £302, a lot i know, but was going to get it some time or another - at least this way i know how far i can now train to! can't wait to september now! did you say you have your ppl, or just the med to go towards it? maybe see you there!

Daultonio
14th Jun 2006, 18:05
yo there, yeah hope to see you there, i have only got my med for the PPL i almost got my PPL and was ready to go solo but i ran out of money so you can imagine how p****d off i was, but anyway, that is why iam foing this.
Do u know if we have to stay in halls? etc do u also know how many days of lectures etc we have to do? cheers

planecrazy.eu
14th Jun 2006, 21:05
Hey, no one has to stay in halls, but for the first year from experience, its a MUST. i never took halls when i did business and management and i just felt left out as everyone lived more or less togeather, and they all helped each other. So this time i am taking halls for at least one year untill i make a few mates or so. Anyone here got any other Uni offers?

IwannaBflying
14th Jun 2006, 21:06
I can imagine! I have got 6 hours towards ppl, and got to the same thing - ran out of money to realistically carry it on far enough at once (if you get me!?) cant wait for solo!

"Do u know if we have to stay in halls?" I have no idea - i understood it that all 1st years are offered places, but up to us where we go. as i said, if we get the choice, Challfont is where i want to go - a) can keep a car there so i have transport, b) i like the look of it, a bit of a trek to the uni though, but at the end of the day all i need is a bed and desk! Days of lectures, again not sure, all i know is that i have had a dream to fly and will go to them all if it gets me in the air! i would assume its the majority of the week, but not all day every week. sorry cant be much more help than that - did you say you have been accepted or have a conditional??? i have become so confused about people talking about a HE day there! cheers!

Ringway004
15th Jun 2006, 12:54
Hi there, have u been for ur interview at cranfeild? basically I've got my conditional offer for the tariff points and have passed the selection test:) so u can say that i'm halfway there more or less, only have to wait now to get my medical and hope i make the points this august from my A levels, i think once u have passed these two stages (the interview and recieved a conditional/unconditional) and have chosen bcuc as ur 'firm' offer then bcuc will send u an invite to the pre higher skills study, form what i've learnt its basiclly a fresh taster for what uni lectures will be like and improving or working on numercy and written skills etc, i think its over about 3 days but reckon it'll be a good taster before we start.
good luck

rich poole
15th Jun 2006, 16:17
Hi all,
i know that the work load (uni) is not that high. A typical day being 9-12. with two days off in the week and one of those is spent flying. The workload related to the flying side however is bit heavier. But as we all aim to be pilots i don't see why it should not be to hard to put work in, in that field.

Have people been reading the blog? That tells you alot of information regarding the course and the flying training. Hope to see you all in september.

ringway have you booked your medical? I didn't think it was as bad as its made out tobe.:}

IwannaBflying
15th Jun 2006, 22:34
Hiya, i have been for my interview at cranfield and passed that! got my class 1 but that was sort of on the side, so its out of the way - wasn't needed before i start! I now have (like you i think) my tarrif points from A levels to satisfy. i have chosen BCUC as my firm, and cant wait to get started now, i just got slightly worried when you lot said there was a pre higher skills study. never heard anything about it before now! sounds a good idea though. i think i shall wait for something through the post - having said that I did get a text form some student there- must have got names off a database, saying if i have any questions, just ask! cheers guys!

Daultonio
16th Jun 2006, 16:00
ok well that si ok to hear, i mean i live in surrey and i have a flat that is why i ask whether we have to stay in halls. I have had confirmation from the uni about my acceptance and am ready to start in september, i think

Ringway004
17th Jun 2006, 10:32
Hi all,
i know that the work load (uni) is not that high. A typical day being 9-12. with two days off in the week and one of those is spent flying. The workload related to the flying side however is bit heavier. But as we all aim to be pilots i don't see why it should not be to hard to put work in, in that field.

Have people been reading the blog? That tells you alot of information regarding the course and the flying training. Hope to see you all in september.

ringway have you booked your medical? I didn't think it was as bad as its made out tobe.:}

ye i haven't booked it yet but prob next week after my last exam, hey that sounds really encouraging then if don't seem waht people make it out to be :O , i can't wait now im getting well excited, apparently i've managed to download a couple of the ATPL theory/groundschool manuals in PDF format, it is awsome and well interesting, but i'm starting wiht the ppl theory first, if u want i'l email em to ya u can have a taster of what we're going in for.

IwannaBflying
17th Jun 2006, 23:33
awsome! had a look on the net at what ATPL covers - your telling me it sounds exciting! thanks, where abouts in surrey is your flat if you dont mind me asking - im in surrey too, about 15 miles west from Guildford! I personally cant wait to get out of the house and live my own life (let the brothers suffer with out me running them around!!!) but i considered commuting - i thought that if it were a late night out with the uni guys, then to get 30 miles home at the small hours would be a bit of a drag! but i'll tell you what - having your own flat sounds well good and solves all those problems!

Daultonio
18th Jun 2006, 15:26
i say but living your own life is not all that great but at times it is well nice, i llive in godalming which is just off the A3 if your dont know but then again you live in surrey and everyone in surrey knows everything lol....... but good to see that there is someone near by anyway.
I would love to see the ATPL course if you could email me it that would be great [email protected] cheers

Capt. J. Upgrade
18th Jun 2006, 19:38
If anyone is interested, BCUC are having an open day on Wednesday for Leisure and Tourism (Including the pilots). I'll be there in my uniform looking rather official, so if you want anyone to speak to, feel free to ask me :ok:

rich poole
18th Jun 2006, 20:22
Ringway, that would be great if you could email them to me. You have my msn address don't you. :)
Capt. J. Upgrade, are you a second year student then? Be great to know what you think of the course.
Rich

hobbit1983
18th Jun 2006, 20:57
Hi guys,

I'm the author of the blog mentioned earlier in this thread (glad to see it mentioned somewhere!) and I'm currently in Florida doing training with OFT.

Now. If you've been recently reading my blog you may be aware of some of the problems we have been having with Cabair/OFT. To summarise: Despite having paid the agreed 3000 pounds for 30 hrs here, some of us are now running out of cash due to overcharges/extra hidden costs/admin errors. These include; being charged more than was agreed for aircraft rental (despite a pre-arranged deal) being charged an extra 100 dollars than agreed for an RT test, an inflated "airport transfer fee" that works out at about 300 dollars more than it would have cost to get a taxi for the same route...the list goes on. The upshot is that some of us, myself included are now on the "no-fly" list due to lack of funds, with at least 8hrs to go...despite the agreement to pay 3000 pounds for 30hrs here. We are now trying to get them to see sense, or at least explain why the charges they have put onto our account (which have caused us to run out of cash) are there. Needless to say we all feel very aggrieved.

So - I would be VERY careful when you make your decision about this course. It is CERTAINLY not all I expected it to be - and I would strongly recommend anyone paying up front for training like Cabair expect you to for this course.

I am probably going to leave the course after the second year (or maybe before) due to the number of problems we have had as a group with Cabair. The overall feeling is that once they have your money in the bank they will cease to provide any level of decent customer service. Also, expect to pay a fair few hidden charges for your first year. This is added to the fact the degree is not that strong at all IMHO.

However I also have to say that once notified OFT did sort quite a lot of stuff out - it's more Cabair we are annoyed with.

I realise that this may be a surprise; but it's my honest opinion! If anybody has any further questions please feel free to PM me.

Hobbit

(Edited to reflect OFT coming clean & helping - apologies to anyone who may have been offended)

Ringway004
18th Jun 2006, 22:33
hi rich, ye i've got ur email n i'l def send them to u soon as i get chance:)

Ringway, that would be great if you could email them to me. You have my msn address don't you. :)
Capt. J. Upgrade, are you a second year student then? Be great to know what you think of the course.
Rich

scroggs
19th Jun 2006, 07:12
Some of you seem to have the idea that this forum is intended as some kind of 'chat' facility. It is not. It is for discussion that exchanges useful aviation training information. If you wish to engage in a personal discussion with any contributor to this or any thread, please use the Private Message system or e-mail - or AIM, MSN Messenger or other chat programs.

Don't put e-mail addresses in a post. Even though Pprune renders e-mail addresses as an image, spambots are getting cleverer and may already be able to gather e-mail addresses from images. Why risk it? Again, use PM.

Do not use text speak. There is no need for it (it only exists because of the 160-character SMS limit - there is no such limit online), and is difficult for others to read. It gets in the way of, rather than aids, communication, and I am tempted to delete messages by those who seem unable to write in English.

You may not, at any time and for any reason, advertise for sale or arrange the exchange of copyright materials on Pprune. This is a condition of your membership and is not negotiable. Offenders will lose the right to post here.

Scroggs

willisstorm4
21st Jun 2006, 19:51
hi guys, guess i'm another one to be joining you on this course.I guess your gonna be my friends for the next 3 years. I've got my medical on tuesday, my cabair interview on the 11th of july and i hope that 160 ucas points shouldnt be too difficult for me. Are you guys having a private chat anywhere else as i've read the message from the moderator. If someone could contact me to let me know it would nice to get in touch.

IwannaBflying
22nd Jun 2006, 00:15
hi ya willisstorm4, good to hear you have your medical and aptitude coming up. sounds like most of us done it so im sure if you have any questions, we would be around to answer! they both not as bad as they seem!

rich poole
22nd Jun 2006, 06:58
Firstly sorry scroggs, I didnt realise that we had turned this into more of a chat thread. And secondly if we pm each other our msn addresses im sure we could all chat on there?!
what you think?
Rich

willisstorm4
22nd Jun 2006, 09:39
i have read quite a few wright ups on this site from which i found very useful so the medical doesnt really worry me. The assessment day at cabair can anyone tell me how difficult this is, or what that questions are set out like for the maths and physics tests. Also, what are the aptitude tests like can someone give me any example and also what sort of clothing is required for the assessment day?

hobbit1983
23rd Jun 2006, 17:41
The assessment day at Cabair includes mental maths, about a-level physics questions and aptitude tests.
The math & physic qs were fairly hard - for me anyway - and I would recommend going over time/distance/speed questions, addition/subtraction, geometry without a calculator.
The aptitude testing covers spatial orientation, co-ordination, awareness etc - do a search for more stuff on this - these questions have been asked here many times before! In fact the sticky at the top of this forum is a good resource.
I didn't really have a formal interview as such. Dress smart - slacks, jacket shirt & tie is a good idea.
Good luck with your tests. Feel free to PM me/ask more qs on here (but be aware a search on the topic first will save on duplication of effort).

IwannaBflying
24th Jun 2006, 13:28
Hi willisstorm4,

I see you are interested in the matsh and physics test that cabair do. on thier website is and example of maths and physics tests. they are good just to get the feel of them! it is vbmenu_register("postmenu_2669575", true); vbmenu_register("postmenu_2669575", true); http://www.ccat.org.uk/fw_assessments.htm then at the bottom of the page hit maths or physics! i agree with hobbit1983, smart dress etc, and again, please feel free to PM me too if you need anything!
IwannaBflying

EGGD
24th Jun 2006, 15:10
If you are going to do the aptitude tests, be prepared to pay 20 quid for it whether you were told about it or not. Throughout the course there are a lot of hidden charges that you will not be aware of before you started. Always keep account of what you are paying for and what you need to pay for because you'll find the costs will build up. I don't think the course is any cheaper than just doing an Integrated course with Cabair and you should really look carefully at whether the degree is as relevant enough to your career choice to warrant doing the course. Personally my feeling is that going on to become a First Officer with an Airline I would not need the degree.

However from the other point of view it is an experience you would not have going through a flying school or doing an integrated course, John Furley is a good guy who does his best to make sure all his students are happy and do not have any problems including a lack of communication with the flying school, he would always try to get your situation sorted. The people you meet when you join the course are great people and the first year you'll have a great time.

I'm not saying do this course, or avoid it, but don't just jump into it because it promises an ATPL and an honours degree because it is not that simple.

IwannaBflying
24th Jun 2006, 21:37
HI,

I take it that you are a student doing the course? what year? have you enjoyed it and think it is worth it - or is that a stupid question!? i mean, i know that going into aviation with a view of gaining a frozen ATPL is an expensive commitment, but what have your experiences been? can you give me an example of an extra cost or a couple of extra hidden costs? a wider view from other people is very helpful! cheers

IwannaBflying

T's & P's
27th Jun 2006, 16:06
Both myself, EGLD and hobbit are first year students on the BCUC course - just in florida right now trying to round off our PPL's despite the weather. There were a couple of problems with finances initially (which i'll detail below) and as a result a couple of people were grounded for a few days (including me) didnt really bother me that much as thanks to the storms i wouldnt have been flying anyway! Needless to say after a short chat to the administrator about what was fair and what was not everything got sorted.

Extra charges included the following:

PPL Course - AKA ground school (completed our exams so unnecessary) - $300
RT Practical - $195 (quoted in the brochure as $95)
Airport Transfer - $70 (should have been $10 since the cab fare was split)
Charts - $35
10 extra days accom - $35 per day
Fuel surcharge - $12 per hour
Visa Processing fee - $200
Medical - $100
Insurance indemnity(just insurance basically) - $200 (i think)There may be a couple i've missed. The only charges that were deducted (i.e. Because we'd been unnecessarily charged) were the PPL course, the difference on the RT and the difference on the airport transfer.

Anyway, its all sorted now, i really am enjoying the course - you'll meet plenty of great people, the instructors here are top notch and the service (despite a couple of hiccups) is good. I/we may moan every now and then but we're students, it's what we do! Good luck to everyone in florida on your skills test (weather permitting of course)

IwannaBflying
6th Jul 2006, 14:06
does any one know if we take our check ride in the USA (for ppl this is!) and get a FAA licence, then on return to the UK get a transfer thing to JAA licence?

just wondering! thanks

LeeH88
6th Jul 2006, 14:42
I am looking into this for September, emailled John Furley, seemed like a nice bloke, planning on enrolling for September, hopefully! I will see some of you there.

TCX-G-FCLA-B757-200
6th Jul 2006, 16:56
Hi all, my name is Nick and I have applied for the Air Transport and commerical pilot training course at Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College.

Can anyone tell me just how hard the aptitude test is, as you need to pass this to get onto the course and what it includes, I realise it will include Maths and Physics, but at what level??
Because lets just say Physics is something I don't find easy!!
And also will the tests include anything else and are they multiple choice??

A bit worried about these tests, as this will be the only thing I will struggle with.

Medical is fine, UCAS points have already been met and have already had plenty of flying lessons, just the entry aptitude test, think I best buy some degree Physics books!! Lol!! Is it really that hard?? Other tests should be okay.

Also I am from Birmingham, so will need to stay in their halls of residence.
Is anyone else here starting this September and staying in the halls of residence??

Also does anyone know what High Wycombe town is like?? I am a bit of a party animal!! Hopefully lots of bars, come in handy on a Friday and Saturday night!! Work hard and play hard, you can't go wrong.

Be greatful to hear off anyone who is hoping to join this course, this September, or anyone at all for any replies. PM me or send me a message here, cheers.

Come on TCX-G-FCLA, just love her, hehe.

Cheers everyone, Nick. :ok: :ok:

LeeH88
6th Jul 2006, 17:33
You can do a practice Cab Air test, someone posted it above. I found them fairly easy and Ive never been any good at physics but obviously everyone is different. I plan on staying in the halls providing I attend ( still working on that). As for High Wycombe Town, I dont have a clue sorry.

TCX-G-FCLA-B757-200
6th Jul 2006, 17:49
Cheers. Yeah think I better sort this accommodation out, otherwise it will be me in a tent every night, lol!!

Yeah just had a look at them Physics and maths tests, there was eight questions on the Physics one. Was okay, but aint saying much!!

From what I have heard High Wycombe is supposed to be nice, but there is always London, which is about 45 minutes away, certainly won't be short on attractions there, hehe.

Thanks for that LeeH88.

Cheers, Nick.......G-FCLA.............:ok: :ok:

rich poole
6th Jul 2006, 17:50
What halls are people looking at?

And all i know about high wycombe is that its built at the bottom of a valley so a nice hard walk up it in the morning to get to our campus. Or cheet and get the bus! :}

TCX-G-FCLA-B757-200
6th Jul 2006, 18:01
To be honest I am just sorting it out now, just finished my College course last week and now trying to sort out and finalise this Uni course, if I get onto it.
I think the T & T courses are based at Wellsbourne Campus, so I guess there, unless no places left, then it could be at one of the other two campuses, who knows.

Should be a lovely walk in the morning. Certainly wake you up. Or we could cheat even more and order a taxi!! hehe.

G-FCLA...............Nick, Cheers all.:ok: :ok:

LeeH88
6th Jul 2006, 19:42
I've decided against the Bucks course. 45k air training fees, plus living fees and tuition fees will most probably mount to more than a zero to atpl integrated course would cost.

rsr3
6th Jul 2006, 19:44
What halls are people looking at?
And all i know about high wycombe is that its built at the bottom of a valley so a nice hard wk up it in the morning to get to our campus. Or cheet and get the bus! :}

That's all good character building stuff!! ;)

hobbit1983
6th Jul 2006, 21:01
Can anyone tell me just how hard the aptitude test is, as you need to pass this to get onto the course and what it includes, I realise it will include Maths and Physics, but at what level??
Because lets just say Physics is something I don't find easy!!
And also will the tests include anything else and are they multiple choice??
The aptitude test isn't *really* hard, but you will need to study for it. Do a search - the same questions have been answered before. In short, you need to be able to do mental maths (time/speed/distance qs are quite popular). I would have said the level was somewhere between GCSE & A-Level overall. The tests were not multiple choice when I took them. The hardest part was the console testing i.e. the spatial awareness tests etc on a computer.
Also does anyone know what High Wycombe town is like?? I am a bit of a party animal!! Hopefully lots of bars, come in handy on a Friday and Saturday night!! Work hard and play hard, you can't go wrong.
High Wycombe is OK - having spent a lot of time slighty less than sober in Bath & Southampton city centres as well as HW, I can safely say it's not on the same level, but there are still places to go. The Hobgoblin, Antelope & Toad all spring to mind (but bear in mind my year got there first - you might find student pilots have a rep already!) as good nights out, in addition to the SU. I would not recommend "Pure" or "Obesession" or whatever it's called these days, but the Litten Tree is good for drunken cheesy clubbing (The others are pubs).
If you want to continue the freshly established traditions (habits?) of the course, then at least one of you, a ginger if possible, should at some point either run naked through the town centre, or run over two cars at once, or both (No it wasn't me!).
I really wouldn't recommend the hill! There's a bus service from halls most mornings, and besides we found it much easier and cheaper to share a taxi (only works out at about a quid or less each).
does any one know if we take our check ride in the USA (for ppl this is!) and get a FAA licence, then on return to the UK get a transfer thing to JAA licence?
You do your check ride in the US - they have JAA examiners at OFT.
Please feel free to ask any other qs or PM.

Shamrock274
6th Jul 2006, 23:37
Does anyone know if enroling on a Uni course that includes pilot training might be a cheaper/better/doesnt make any difference, way of getting you pilots licence??

www.bcuc.ac.uk/main.asp?page=129 (http://www.bcuc.ac.uk/main.asp?page=129)

www.cabair.com/kingston/index.htm (http://www.cabair.com/kingston/index.htm)

Thanks

TCX-G-FCLA-B757-200
7th Jul 2006, 07:53
I've decided against the Bucks course. 45k air training fees, plus living fees and tuition fees will most probably mount to more than a zero to atpl integrated course would cost.

That was another question I meant to ask. How much approx, for the three years if successful does the course cost all in??
Is it really £45k or more or less?? Or...

Because as someone has mentioned it prob will be cheaper to do an integrated course, or an airline pilot programme.

Cheers, G-FCLA!! Nick. :ok: :ok:

LeeH88
7th Jul 2006, 08:11
You pay:
£3000/year for tuition fees.
£45,000 for flying training with CabAir
A few extra charges as mentionned above by someone
Living costs.

£45000 + £9000 is £54k. Plus living costs of say £15000, thats nearly 70 thousand pounds. Integrated/airline course may be better.

TCX-G-FCLA-B757-200
7th Jul 2006, 08:20
Thanks for that, I knew it was not cheap, just like any aviation course, etc, but that does seem rather high, compared to others I have been looking at.

Beginning to think it would be cheaper to do an app or fo programme or integrated course, when comparing the prices last night and finding out how much this course costs now.

Cheers, G-FCLA...... Nick. :ok: :ok:

rich poole
7th Jul 2006, 08:23
Hi, I can see this turning into another big debate but the way in which I see it is you can complete an Intergrated course from anything up from 60K but you don't have the back up of the degree that this course offers.

Its a thought?!

TCX-G-FCLA-B757-200
7th Jul 2006, 08:33
It sure is a thought. That's why I applied to this in the first place, but at the moment I am keeping my options open, applioed for this, but not sure if I will get onto this yet.

Also been looking at Stapleford flight training, just outside London and European flight training- the Airline pilot programme, been in contact with them also, plus others. But think I need to find out what negatives there are with this course, there is always some!! But think I will open another topic, for this one, as can't seem to find this mentioned anywhere else. So I will put that in another post.

Cheers, Nick, G-FCLA. :ok: :ok:

rich poole
7th Jul 2006, 08:38
Sure, Have you read the blogg that i posted the link to somewhere at the start of this thread. hobbit1983 set it up and he talks about the course in full. Very informative, yes there are a few lows and teething problems as there are in everything, but as the course is only in its second year i would say its not doing to badly.

TCX-G-FCLA-B757-200
7th Jul 2006, 08:46
Yeah great, thanks for that, much appreciated. While this topic seems alive!! I think I will ask another question, what is thae age range like on the course, is everyone the same age, or is there a mixture, e.g. 18,19, 20, 21, 22, older, etc.

Just wondered, as I am only just 18 and would be nice if I was not the baby of the group!! And how big are the classes??

Sorry for so many questions, lol.

Cheers all, Nick, G-FCLA, yeah, hehe. :ok: :ok:

rich poole
7th Jul 2006, 08:48
hi, im only 19 did 3 years at college but i know that there will be a couple 18 year olds, a few 20s? its hard to tell but there will be a spread. And last year i think that there was only 30 lqast year? (don't quote me)

TCX-G-FCLA-B757-200
7th Jul 2006, 08:58
Thanks for that, so yeah looks like I am going to be the youngest!!

Cheers, Nick, G-FCLA..... :ok: :ok:

Groundloop
7th Jul 2006, 13:25
You pay:
£3000/year for tuition fees.
£45,000 for flying training with CabAir
A few extra charges as mentionned above by someone
Living costs.

£45000 for a modular ATPL! Are you sure?

Interesting when you look at the costs of the individual modules:
£7109
£5615
£7706
£8166
£14027
£2377

All very unusual numbers but the add up to EXACTLY £45,000. Clever that!

LeeH88
7th Jul 2006, 13:36
Hmm..Quite. Im only quoting what I know. I actually thought that myself.

hobbit1983
7th Jul 2006, 13:38
Yeah great, thanks for that, much appreciated. While this topic seems alive!! I think I will ask another question, what is thae age range like on the course, is everyone the same age, or is there a mixture, e.g. 18,19, 20, 21, 22, older, etc.
The majority of the people on the course are 18 to 19; there are a few people who are 21-23, and a 25 and 29 year old I believe.
The latter come in handy in Florida where you have to be at least 21 to drink, so I'm told.
Just wondered, as I am only just 18 and would be nice if I was not the baby of the group!! And how big are the classes??
There were 36 people to start with on the course; we lost one and gained one over the year. Bearing in mind that for some of the lectures we were put into a much larger group of other students doing the same subject. The PPL groundschool I believe for next year will be split into two groups as there are 60 students in total (excepting those of course who already hold a JAA PPL).
But think I need to find out what negatives there are with this course, there is always some!! But think I will open another topic, for this one, as can't seem to find this mentioned anywhere else. So I will put that in another post.
Yes there are negatives with the course; but certainly there are also positives too. I've outlined most of the ones I feel strongly about here www.geocities.com/bkoprowski, but to summarise:
Flight instructors/standard of teaching = very good
Admin from Cabair = could have been better
Financial admin from OFT = shocking at first, lots of little problems kept creeping up, but sorted out in the end
Quality of teaching/degree = variable, some very good & well taught, other bits IMHO pointless
Support from BCUC in the form of John Furley = bloody excellent
Social side & course cohesion = very good, have never met a closer bunch of studes
Worth of degree = remains to be seen
Beginning to think it would be cheaper to do an app or fo programme or integrated course, when comparing the prices last night and finding out how much this course costs now.
The course is more expensive than a Modular route & cheaper than an integrated route, but then you wouldn't expect to pay nothing for a degree. It's worth pointing out that if you paid the same for a seperate degree, then did a Modular ATPL course, you'd pay roughly the same, but take longer to do it.
Sorry for so many questions, lol.
No problem; ask away.

planecrazy.eu
8th Jul 2006, 13:49
Hey All, i have a place at BCUC. The tests at Cabair are below GCSE i would say, or equal at the most, there nothing to worry about unless you want an integrated place with them, which you dont. I am 80% sure BCUC will not be where i end up for many reasons, i do have a place but i also have a place at a few other uni's. For one BCUC is fairly low on league tables, no one i have spoke to have heard of it, i am worried that the degree has no meaning in the work place and i think i would be better of doing an integrated course, i really am not sure. I have been offered Meng or Beng Aviation Engineering at a london Uni, so i dont know if i should just take that? Some one i know has been to BCUC and they always told me not to go, but the course on the face of it does look really appealing, i am just not sure if its as good, and will be as good as it said it will be?

Coming from Birmingham to BCUC would be a massive down grade in terms of night life, i am sure there are very few clubs down that way, well i think there is just one?

Another worry is that i have been told many time that some airlines dont like Modular ATPLS, so it feels like my chances of employment are reduced with a modular course? But i really dont know, advice would be well appreciated. I am sure i have read some place some one at BCUC was going to leave at the end of Y2? Can any one shed any light on that?

One more thing, has any one a plan yet to get the £45.000 for the course? I am led to belive the banks wont lend unless is secured on a house?

willisstorm4
10th Jul 2006, 11:55
hello again guys I'm 18 and supposed to be starting this course in september. I have already passed my medical and have my assessment day at cabair tomorrow. Looking at all the comments i am also wondering weather bcuc is a good idea. I will probably end up with about 240 ucas points and i dont think bcuc is reaching my potential im just wondering if theres any other places i can go without doin a modular atpl.

I am also considering just doing the first year at bcuc, this will allow me to obtain a ppl and also a 1st part of a degree, this will then offer me a chance to get on a course that allows me to reach my potetential. I am really unsure what to do because i have been looking forward to this course for ages. It seems a good idea now but i dont know what its gonna do for me in the long run.

As i read before in a previous article having a degree in air transport with atpl is a bit of a cliche. I.e employers may look for a candidate with a degree in physics or engineering with an atpl than with a degree in air transport.

Im really unsure of what to do now and its getting very late in the process

planecrazy.eu
10th Jul 2006, 12:09
The thing that attracted me to the BCUC Degree was the ATPL. But i now see i can do a modular ATPL course no matter what uni i go to. I was looking forward to BCUC also, tryed my hardest at Cabair test and really wanted it, the second i got it i decided i didnt really want or like the sound of BCUC having been to a College University before.

I think i am going to go for an integrated course, if i need a degree there is the open university but no where states they want a degree. So i think getting as higher grades and first time passes with an integrated ATPL may be the best way forward for myself.

Another thing that put me of BCUC is that i would rather train with OAT rather than Cabair. The way i see the whole BCUC course is that its a three year integrated course that can be done in a year and a half integrated and you can choose your training school yourself.

So now i am looking at OAT and FTE as well as Open Uni and Brunel in london.

Just a few stats about BCUC i noticed, Entry is normally 160 UCAS points (LOW), No one has heard of it!, Poor Sports, 46% get 1st or 2.1 (LOW). The biggest plus for that course is the course leader, he seems an amazing teacher/man and seems to be the best reason to take that course. Also over at OFT do you get a NPPL or JAA PPL or FAA PPL?

hobbit1983
10th Jul 2006, 12:29
Yeah, John Furley is the dude; we all think highly of him.
You get a JAA PPL during the first year, the training done in the US is taught to the JAA syllabus & they have JAA examiners.
Engineering degrees are hard - I know I tried one - and if you're not going to directly use it, then it might be best to concentrate on other things. I think the main attraction of the BCUC course is that you can save time/money by combining your degree and fATPL. Having said that, yes, a degree in Air Transport from BCUC will not have the same academic clout as say a degree in Physics/Engineering from Bristol or Southampton for example.
Also, when my course had a talk from the training captain at Flybe, he said that as far as recruitment for his airline went, it is not a requirement to have a degree, which holds true for all of them. Thus you could argue that there's really no point in going to uni at all if you want to fly commerical. Having said that...uni's fun!
planecrazy, is that BEng at London Met the one with the PPL in it? (it was me who was thinking of leaving the course end of Y2 btw)

LeeH88
10th Jul 2006, 12:46
Must agree, John Furley does seem to be a great man, but the overall appeal of the course has gone down for me, the training is £45000 which is more than an integrated at my local flying school, Plus, they offer a low cost loan from a bank, so Ive decided Im going to continue working, get the loan n train there. in 18 months - 2 years I'll hopefully quit my job and get a job with an airline. (Thats the plan anyway).

rich poole
10th Jul 2006, 12:48
Intergrated for less than 45k? What school is that?

planecrazy.eu
11th Jul 2006, 08:30
Hey, The MEng i was/will do is at Brunel, its MEng with Pilot Studies, They offer most of the flying credits just not an MMC or an IMC. But if i get my PPL first before joining then i have some extra time to study what maybe they dont offer? But the BCUC course is what i really wanted, but what got me thinking is its nothing really special, a modular ATPL can be taken at any time by any one, so whats stopping me taking the better degree and studying a Modular ATPL whilst at another UNI? Then i can control the flight school i use. I really dont know which Uni to take, BCUC or Brunel or even just go Integrated. Time is running out though...

As for £45k for an ATPL Integrated, its not really that unusual, i have seen them as Cheap as £29.999 over in the USA and some UK Flying schools offer rates not so far off that, but i bet they train also in the USA.

I dont know if its the right way in thinking but wouldnt a better flight school such as OAT or FTE Offer better prospects to employers and make you more employable that using a ATPL Trainer half the price?

One more thing, Ab-Initio? Same as integrated?

Groundloop
11th Jul 2006, 11:35
As for £45k for an ATPL Integrated, its not really that unusual, i have seen them as Cheap as £29.999 over in the USA and some UK Flying schools offer rates not so far off that, but i bet they train also in the USA.

But none of these are Integrated courses, they are ALL modular.

There are only 3 integrated providers - Cabair, FTE and OAT.

And the Cabair course used by BCUC is modular.

planecrazy.eu
12th Jul 2006, 09:04
There are Four integrated training providers, some Australia College of Aviation. I am well aware of the BCUC course been integrated, can you not tell? I have moaned about it several times. As for the 30K Courses, the ones i refered to was Ab-Initio, which are not Modular nor Integrated.

rich poole
12th Jul 2006, 09:48
Hi correct me if im wrong but isnt ab-intio latin for for something like from start to finsih? there for if you undertake all your training with one provider, you're takin and ab-intio route. I think?

scroggs
12th Jul 2006, 10:05
Ab-initio means 'from the beginning'. An ab-initio recruit is one who has only just finished basic training.

Scroggs

rich poole
12th Jul 2006, 10:29
Thanks for correcting me scroggs, I knew that i was there or there abouts.:)

planecrazy.eu
16th Jul 2006, 20:26
Does any one taking this course, or going to take it know if there is any help getting the finance togeather? Still unsure what to do = ( My mind is only now between two options

A Degree and Modulat ATPL, Or An Integrated ATPL. Decided what flight school i want to get into and a second just in-case.

On the BCUC Course is it three years and you get a fATPL and MCC?

willisstorm4
16th Jul 2006, 23:47
you get a degree in air transport, a frozen atpl, mcc and IR.
As for finance im having a long term loan from my parents.

IwannaBflying
18th Jul 2006, 13:14
you beat me to it Willistorm! yep, thats what you get - they beauty of iy is that you get a degree at the same time as the pilot licences (sp???) - loans of that size at the moment is pretty tough from the banks - they look at it as we are a student with not a regular income therefore they wont offer one! however your parent could take out the loan in their name (as far as i am aware!) i taking the same option as Willistorm - kind longterm loan from the parents!

planecrazy.eu
20th Jul 2006, 08:35
Well its the finance i will have problems with, i thought my nan would help, turns out she wont, i think its because she doesnt understand and the word "loan" is like a swear word to her so i should have approached that a different way. My mom cant get a loan to even 20% of whats required and she rents so no house to secure it on, so im a little lost now. I think my only hope is to go to a FTO where they have good bank contacts and relations and i can get a load that way, iBCUC Dont help you get the loan do they? I dont think they do but i might be wrong. So my other option is to PAYG with Modular.....

glidehigh
20th Jul 2006, 15:23
Hi all,

I've just finished my 1st year on this course too. For all those who want to know, this is how I've found it so far:

Cabair aptitude test- GCSE standard maths and physics required.

BCUC lectures- 90% pointless. Anyone for a 1hr seminar on imagining what we could fit into an A380 (cinemas etc)!! No brainpower required whatsoever for any lectures.

Cabair PPL groudschool lectures- very good on the whole. Still need to read the books though.

High Wycombe/Wellesbourne Campus- The toilet of Buckinghamshire IMHO.

Cabair flight training at Denham- Instructors very good, but with high prices to match.

OFT- Can't comment as I had the PPL before I started the course, which I think helped a HUGE amount. It gives you much more free time, fewer exams, less to worry about etc. It also gives you the freedom to shop around for PPL packages. I did mine at a school at Cranfield (not cabair) before starting BCUC, and it cost me about £1000 LESS than my classmates were paying for theirs, plus mine was all done in the UK which is a better environment to learn in.

Finance- No assistance from BCUC whatsoever. This is where having the PPL really helps as I did mine more cheaply than Cabair charges, plus it gave me 4 days free every week, in which I got a job to help pay for year 2.

Just ask if you want more info.

rich poole
20th Jul 2006, 17:03
Glidehigh, can you describe the week to week timetable for me? how many days on off etc and times? is it possable to get a parttime job in the local sainsburys etc? help pay for the food etc, and also how much work out of lectures is required? you say they are boring and pointless but is there alot of work to go with it all?
cheers
thanks for the help
Rich

Big Fish
20th Jul 2006, 21:33
I went to Bucks to do my degree a few years ago and had the pleasure (?) of attending all of the campuses in one way or the other.

If anyone wants any information relating to the university (campuses, social life, towns nearby etc.) then please PM me and I will be happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Big Fish

PS - Don't have info on the course, just the place itself....

glidehigh
21st Jul 2006, 17:00
The way this course was run this year was:
Mon- PPL training
Tues- Lectures
Weds- PPL training
Thurs- PPL ground school and lectures
Fri- Lectures

If you are doing your PPL with cabair, you only fly on one of the 2 flying days, so you end up with 3 days off every week as it is. The lectures have very little substance to them. You could say they're like the dummies guide to the airline industry as they touch on all the basics. The projects do require quite a bit of work, but they are not atall mindstretching.
In my opinion, you're probably better off doing as one of my friends is doing- getting a proper degree at a proper university and doing the PPL in the holidays, then going on an integrated course after graduation. It will take 9 months longer than this and probably be more worthwhile.