PDA

View Full Version : flying in a non G reg aircraft

pilotho
6th Jun 2006, 15:22
i have a PPL however i wonder if it would possible to fly in a non G reg aircraft.

as i am going to HK this summer i would really love to fly around there

thanks

aluminium persuader
6th Jun 2006, 20:37
There certainly was a flying club at Kai Tak, but not sure if there is one at CLK. It's just possible they're at Sek Kong (the former RAF base), although at least one of the runways there is long since cut in half. Whichever, unless you're out there for a long time you're not going to be able to go solo, and be prepared for a shock with the price. It was several hundred quid/hr for a C172 last time I checked, & that was a few years ago.

ap.

Further to this; $1798/hr dual C152 which is roughly £180/hr. There are also joining fees involved.

Look here: http://www.hkaviationclub.com.hk/course_offer.htm

pilotho
6th Jun 2006, 21:58
does that mean i can fly in a non G aircraft or not?? by myself i mean

Sensible
6th Jun 2006, 23:13
Since you were asking questions in advance of your skill test in April this year, I think it fair to assume that you are a low hour pilot. Since you appear to be asking whether you can fly in unfamiliar airspace solo, then it follows that the answer must be no! not without several hours familiarisation, the decision is up to the CFI of the place where you want to rent the aircraft from. If said CFI says you need more dual time, then you need more dual time! Even an experienced pilot should expect a couple or four hours local familiarisation when flying in a country which he/she has no previous experience of. No doubt if you have the cash then the CFI will have the patience to get you solo!

pilotho
6th Jun 2006, 23:16
what i mean tho is that would i be legal to fly a non G reg aircraft when i have eventually got the exprience.

how did you know about the skills test??? freaky!!

IO540
7th Jun 2006, 08:23
Your UK issued JAA PPL is an ICAO PPL.

This should entitle you to noncommercial VFR flight anywhere in the world, in a plane whose registration country is the same as your license issue, i.e. G-reg.

If you want to go to Mongolia (let's assume they are an ICAO signatory) and you want to fly a MG-reg (if that's what it is :) ) plane over there, they might just let you, but more likely they will require you to go through some license conversion/validation process.

The above is all one can say, I think, in general terms.

It varies hugely from one place to another. For example, any ICAO license holder can fly a G-reg, worldwide, without any formality, because the UK ANO automatically validates any ICAO license for flight in a G-reg. But this is rare; in most places you have to go through some paperwork, as a minimum.

In your case I would contact the HK aviation ministry - if they have one.

Separately from the above, the place you rent a plane from is likely to have minimum-hours and/or a checkout flight requirements. This could be a problem for a new PPL holder.

aluminium persuader
7th Jun 2006, 20:37
IO540 i along the right lines. Of course it does vary from country to country, but certainly I used to fly G-reg a/c here on an American licence. Could not take them out of the country though. The UK licence (& by continuation I hope, the JAA licence) is highly respected & even if you need a local licence it's usually only a paper exercise.

The HK authority is the Civil Aviation Department which you should be able to google.

Good luck!

Henry Hallam
7th Jun 2006, 22:01
I used to fly G-reg a/c here on an American licence. Could not take them out of the country though.

Yes you could! There's nothing in the ANO to prevent it and LASORS makes it pretty clear that any "licence rendered valid" is as good as your basic JAA PPL for all purposes.

aluminium persuader
8th Jun 2006, 18:18
HH -

You've missed the point! He wants to know if he can fly an HKG-registered a/c in HKG on his UK ppl.

RTFQ, as I was constantly told! ;)

Henry Hallam
8th Jun 2006, 19:45
I know, and I don't have an answer to the OP's question. But I did want to correct the very common misconception that you can't fly a G-reg internationally on an FAA PPL.. you can!

pilotho
8th Jun 2006, 23:06
aluminium persuader how did u know about the airfield of sek kong? did u live in hk or already does so now?

i certainly didnt hear about it until my dad told me