PDA

View Full Version : Proof of identity

Lister Noble
6th Jun 2006, 13:04
I've re-posted this here as I didn't get much response o n the other thread.

In my very brand new licence it says I have to carry a document with my photo on it,although I understand that the older qualified pilots are not required to do this in their licence?.
The only official things I have with a photo are a passport,gun licence and racing car licence,none of which I wish to carry around with me all the time I fly,so what do you do?

Would a bit of card with a photo and some wording this is a true likeness etc signed by a solicitor,doctor etc do?
Lister:)

J.A.F.O.
6th Jun 2006, 13:14
I would tell you but I don't know who you are.

:E

How about one of them new fangled horseless carriage driving licences, they've got a picture on them and I've got mine in my wallet and if I'm flying I'm bound to need my wallet.

Sensible
6th Jun 2006, 13:15
How about a photo drivers licence? If you haven't got one, they are easy to obtain and relatively cheap and accepted by banks, car rental firms, police etc etc worldwide!

J.A.F.O.
6th Jun 2006, 13:21
That's what I said, only far more sensible.

Justiciar
6th Jun 2006, 13:37
Carrying your gun licence next to your pilots licence is going to feed all sorts of paranoia :E

dublinpilot
6th Jun 2006, 14:18
I don't know about the UK, but in Ireland we are required to have our drivers licence with us when driving. So it's not practical to have it with your pilots licence.

I put my passport into my pilots licence, and keep them together. That why when I flew out of the country, I don't forget about it.

While I do not wish to loose my passport, I equally don't wish to loose my pilots licence, so it's not much of an issue security wise.

dp

FullyFlapped
6th Jun 2006, 16:05
Join AOPA, and get one of their shiny photo-ID cards. In one swell foop, this not only solves your "need a photo" issue, but will also enable you to pretend that you drive a jumbo, thereby immediately becoming eligible for insane hotel discounts, special hire-car deals and all sorts of priority treatment from smiling gorgeous women everywhere ... at least, that's what they told me before I signed up .... ;)

It's a good cause, it's recognised by most airport security wotsits that I've been through, and I did once get a whacking hotel discount and a bill with the word "Captain" in front of my name ... cor .... almost made me want to rush out and buy one of those nylon pullovers with the gold bits on ! :p

FF :ok:

stick&rudder
6th Jun 2006, 18:21
There's no requirement to carry your pilot's licence for private flights within the UK, as far as i'm aware, so you only need to carry it if going abroad, in which case you'd need your passport anyway.

I don't carry my license when i go flying - have I been doing it wrong?!

IO540
6th Jun 2006, 18:29
There is a technical argument that a pilot flying under an FAA license needs to carry an ID and that a passport is the only document available in the UK which satisfies this. I read this somewhere, not sure where...

It is a bit moot since the only place one is likely to get turned over (by a copper equipped with a special "how to check FAA pilots" briefing document) is France and there one will have the passport anyway.

Sensible
6th Jun 2006, 18:32
But JAFO, you were 1 minute faster than me with the fingers!:)

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Jun 2006, 21:55
I carry a Cambridge University Library card around with me to show to people who really really insist on photo ID. It expired many years ago, and the photo is no longer a terribly good likeness due to having too much hair, but it has always satisfied the requirement.

ShyTorque
7th Jun 2006, 17:59
There's no requirement to carry your pilot's licence for private flights within the UK, as far as i'm aware, so you only need to carry it if going abroad, in which case you'd need your passport anyway.

Try getting into a major airport without it.......even for a private flight...You might soon hear the worrying "snap" of a rubber glove being donned. Worse, some security personel can't understand that not all pilots have (or need) a plastic airport ID card.

It's become even worse in USA. A few weeks ago, I was came under suspicion and was delayed for some time at the immigration desk. Why? Because I couldn't produce a pilots ID swipe card, despite having a passport with an entry visa (used many times previously) and a valid ATPL. Even worse, I was only on a civvy inbound flight as a passenger and not operating crew. :ugh:

Lister Noble
8th Jun 2006, 07:57

Thank you,I think this covers it well.
Lister:)