PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol.

Re-entry
6th Jun 2006, 03:28
Is it really the main thing we need to deal with? Just because we can measure it now?

Dani
6th Jun 2006, 06:50
It's the main thing because colesterol is the fat in your blood and if you have too much of the wrong one you clog your blood vessels and will die (sooner or later).

There are also other measuring units for fat/weight/health like BMI (body mass index) or your waste diameter/circumference or thickness of your skin aso. But colesterol gives you a more direct hint to the state you're in.

I just saw a TV show on Discovery Channel about the book "You - a user's manual". Sounds very interesting. Written by two US GPs, not extremist, and very practical, me thinks.

Dani

zerozero
6th Jun 2006, 13:43
I just had my cholesterol tested in the US (I mention the nation because I don't know if different countries use different methods...)

My total cholesterol was 155. A good number.

But the LDL was 80.
And the HDL was 75.

My understanding is that we want the LDLs low and the HDLs high so what should I think about my scores that are evenly split?

Should I work harder at trying to increase my HDL? Or work harder at lowering the LDL? Or nothing at all...?

Thanks.:8

Fly3
12th Jun 2006, 03:25
Including oatmeat in your diet has a benificial affect on reducing cholestral appartently.

Oh that's super!
12th Jun 2006, 10:44
your waste diameter/circumference

Hehehe! I know I shouldn't take the piss, but this made me laugh!