PDA

View Full Version : HQ 1 Gp MAOTs Upavon

Roadster280
6th Jun 2006, 01:48
Gents,

Posted on a couple of threads tonight relating to my time on above unit (1990-1992), though I am a self confessed filthy stinking Pongo. My troop staffy insisted we were "D Tp, 244 Sig Sqn (AS)". Rest of the world knew us as "MAOTs". Master Aircrew and Old Tired Soldiers.

Interested to hear from anyone who served there on the "team Boss side". From memory, there was a decrepit MALM (initials JM) who still wore his 50s style zip front jacket, c/w medal ribbons and rank on sleeves, another MALM (initials RL) who flew his hang glider into power lines in Cyp, an FJ Nav, can't remember his initials, but must have been a bad boy, as he was about 24 and knew sq rt of FA about helos. Did manage to nail half the WAAFs on camp though, since he had a red Lotus. You know the type..

What's become of the teams? Definitely not at Upavon any more, I went back in 98 on an Army course. Red Hand still painted on hangar floor, I could have cried.

PlasticCabDriver
6th Jun 2006, 17:10
And a Bad Boy the Nav still is!

tarbaby
8th Jun 2006, 07:10
Was a Flt Lt Maot in the late 70s. 5 RAF officers, NCOs down were army. The qualifications for a MAOT were as a minimum to be a 2 tour heli man. We had 1. Rest were coastal and transport. On arrival went to see the boss (flt.lt) First question, "Who did you offend?"
This was one of the most enjoyable tours that I had, and this included flying. If it wasn't for some stupid jackass telling me I was over the hill at age 37, I would gladly have completed my service carreer as a Motley 1.
When we moved from Odiham to Upavon chaos reigned. The command structure just did not know what they had or what was happening. They moved the Army element next door to the WAAFs. That night the Army moved next door. The line which seemed to work best was, "We are a hit team for the RAF!" Dealing with multiple exercises over a 3 month period without coming home was a problem with Accounts.
The biggest advantages were: Army vehicles, we booked them out for whatever period and did not have to fill in 658s?, not having to wear the same uniform as anyone else, no-one really knowing what we actually did.
Working with the Army - so professional, (Green Jackets especial) even if one Colnel did state at a de-briefing that it was "open season on the MAOT" (me). Rescued by a STANEVAL officer, loved them forever afterwards.
Army still owes me a GSM for Northern Ireland.

Motleycallsign
12th Jun 2006, 18:27
I too, am an ex 'Team Boss'.
I also remember 'JM' or 'AirForce One' as he was known in the Mess.
The presentday Motleys reside at RAF Benson, and have increased in numbers from the 9 + Boss of the 80's/90's.
Like Tarbaby, I also thoroughly enjoyed the tour, own boss when out on task, and likewise when out on Heli landingsite recces.

Roadster280
12th Jun 2006, 19:47
'AirForce One' as he was known in the Mess.

ROFL!!! Absolutely right! Nice old bloke, but a bit stuck in his ways, to say the least. I imagine he was the one looking down the dinner table over his half moon specs at the antics of the junior Mess members. Been in so long he probably even looked down on the SWO for being a sprog. Fair dues though, he knew his stuff and was diligent and kindly for a WO. Only WO I have ever known who called SACs/Signalmen by their first names as a matter of course.

WOs & Sgts Mess had moved to what had been the NAAFI in RAF days at Upavon when I went back. No Junior Ranks Club at all. Mind you, there weren't many junior ranks posted there.

Motleycallsign - you're weren't by any chance a Fg Off ALM?

cazatou
12th Jun 2006, 20:07
Perhaps we should also have a quiet moments reflection and remember Garth Hawkins and the others who were lost in a tragic accident during the Falklands Campaign.

Motleycallsign
16th Jun 2006, 17:55
You're absolutely correct Roadster280 I wasn't a FO/ALM I like to think I had more streetcred than that.........

cazatou
16th Jun 2006, 18:58
Obviously motley doesn't go in for quiet reflection.

Glad I was not on his team.

Wrathmonk
16th Jun 2006, 20:17
Cazatou

Sad as it is losing friends in an accident, 4 days can be considered quiet reflection surely....or have I missed some rotary/MAOT banter here? And if "lets have some quiet reflection" is a coded phrase for lets have no more posts on this thread ever again can we have some quiet reflection for the demise of the SHAR over on the Sea Jet thread!:E

Roadster280
16th Jun 2006, 22:28
While I was there, we had a sister unit at Wildenrath and 21 Sig Regt for the Army element. Unfortunately, one of the teams had a fatal RTA on exercise in one of the old death trap LRs in Germany. Killed the MALM team leader and two Signals chaps.

7 Sqn mounted a three ship flypast for the MALMs funeral. That was one of the most moving things I have ever seen. Though I didnt know the chap, I was asked to attend to do the gound comms for the flypast. There were hundreds of people in uniform there. A VC10 had been laid on to Lyneham to bring people to the funeral from Wildenrath.

We got the timing spot on, as the coffin was halfway along the line of No1 uniforms lining the route in the churchyard, three Wokkas flew over at, I'd guess, 50-100ft. Lots of noise, lots of downwash. Perfect send off.

That day cemented my respect for the Royal Air Force.

rolandpull
17th Jun 2006, 00:37
Flew in the flypast myself. I was a hooker on the OCU and met the chap in Diyabiker on Op Haven - nice bloke. 11 years as an HHI and a JATE HHI instructor and couldnt get a MAOT job cos I wasnt aircrew - pants, grudge etc.:{

Roadster280
17th Jun 2006, 00:54
Rolandpull - It does seem a bit odd. I was a spotty faced 22yr old Army Lance Jack, and knew next to nothing about helos when posted in. In fact, I knew bugger all about the radios too, because they were manpacks, and we don't generally use them in the Signals. All changed soon enough...!

Bloody AAI thing was a nightmare to setup. I'm sure I must have set the glideslope at either 15 degrees or 0.0015 degrees sometimes! It was quite simple directions, stand a man 6 feet tall at x paces away (can't remember how many), and align it with the top of his head. Fine. As long as the AAI was perfectly level in the first place!!

And poxy Ground Engineering Flight always made an ar$e of charging the batteries for them. "Ground Engineering" on a non-flying station..

nutcracker 34
17th Jun 2006, 10:15
cazatou

Your point being....?

tpm

cazatou
17th Jun 2006, 21:22
ta pang mao,

If I remember correctly, it was Garth's 3rd ditching. All of them on active service - over a period of some 25 years.

Your point was?

PS I think Roadster would understand.

nutcracker 34
18th Jun 2006, 11:05
Cazatou

ta pang mao,

If I remember correctly, it was Garth's 3rd ditching. All of them on active service - over a period of some 25 years.

Actually, I met him in Oman not long before his demise. He was an excellent fellow, but I was a little unsure as to why you wrote the words you did.

tpm

Motleycallsign
19th Jun 2006, 06:17

I too am a little bit lost as to how my reply to Roadster280 refers to your post Cazatou? I was merely implying that with my previous service background I would have a little bit more experience than a Fg Off.