PDA

View Full Version : Hi Viz Waistcoats

Logistics Loader
5th Jun 2006, 19:28
Heard on Radio today the MOD are to giveaway Hi Viz waistcoats to around 2 million horse riders in the light of a fatality, that may or may not have been caused by a low flying Chinook.

Having just done a web search these jackets cost around £2.00 each....
So £4m is going to be wasted from the defence budget to keep the horsey people sweet.....???

Yet we cant find money to ensure that our troops get the Kevlar/Footwear etc they need to fight on the frontline..

As a motorcyclist i ensure im as visible as possible on the roads...Its about time these "jockey's" did the same and pay insurance and some form of road tax..Furthermore why dont they take their horse pooh home ??? Dogs owners have to...!!!!

Yous disgusted....!!!!

airborne_artist
5th Jun 2006, 19:37
The Ministry of Defence and British Horse Society are giving away 400 sets of high visibility clothing to horse riders as part of a joint campaign to encourage riders to be seen by low flying helicopters, Under Secretary of State for Defence, Tom Watson announced today, Monday 5 June 2006.

Rest of the release (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/HelicopterSafetyGiveawayForHorseRidersincludesVideoAndAudio. htm)

At a rough guess I'd say the wholesale price would be £5.00/set - so it's £2,000 total cost or the same as two chairs for MoD pen-pushers.

DB6
5th Jun 2006, 19:40
You mean airport cloaking devices? No fecker will see them then :E .

A2QFI
5th Jun 2006, 20:21
BBC East Midlands had an item in the lunchtime news which mentioned £40 a set but went on to show riders on horses which were also wearing acres of hi Viz stuff as well - it wasn't just vests for the riders. For what owning and running a horse costs I think they should buy their own or take their chances.

ratty1
5th Jun 2006, 20:33
Heard on Radio today the MOD are to giveaway Hi Viz waistcoats to around 2 million horse riders in the light of a fatality, that may or may not have been caused by a low flying Chinook.

Having just done a web search these jackets cost around £2.00 each....
So £4m is going to be wasted from the defence budget to keep the horsey people sweet.....???

Yet we cant find money to ensure that our troops get the Kevlar/Footwear etc they need to fight on the frontline..

As a motorcyclist i ensure im as visible as possible on the roads...Its about time these "jockey's" did the same and pay insurance and some form of road tax..Furthermore why dont they take their horse pooh home ??? Dogs owners have to...!!!!

Yous disgusted....!!!!
Calm down Arfur its only a commercial. If you are not happy speak to Mr Gray 01249 652851. I am sure he would rather the money was spent on something useful aswell.

Keep on trucking:ok:

vecvechookattack
5th Jun 2006, 23:49
At least the MOD are doing something positive for a change. I sat on a Committee investigating OLF in the UK and as a result of the Tragic accident a couple of years ago the future of OLF in the UK was considered. There were very clear and serious plans to bin OLF comletely........the decision to keep it went right down to the wire......If a few Dayglo surcoats means we can contuinue to Low Fly in the UK then Im all for 'em

Zoom
6th Jun 2006, 13:03
This issue should be taken much more seriously by aviators and we should embrace all available technology to ensure the utmost in riding safety for gee-gee riders. Therefore I shall be writing to MOD to recommend that all riders be issued with individual IFF transponders and all military aircraft be retro-fitted with IFF interrogators. Appropriate identification procedures will have to be adhered to strictly, and any riders getting their codes wrong will face ................. elimination! Well, fair's fair, and you can't have something for nothing.

Not_a_boffin
6th Jun 2006, 13:40
Presumably these Hi-Viz jackets will have a variety of suitable characters on them. How about "Raffles the Gentleman Thug", "Biffa Bacon" and Johnny F@rtpants for a kick-off...............

Always a Sapper
6th Jun 2006, 20:28
Horsey.... Bratwurst.... Bar-B-Que..... nuff said :E

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
7th Jun 2006, 04:11
I can see it now as the boxes travel through the supply system together.

Horsey riders open up sets of camoflaged clothing while the chaps in theatre get all the high viz stuff.

DummyRun
7th Jun 2006, 04:19
As a bit of a donkey whalloping driver airframe I would ask you all to be a bit sensible about this one. For years I have been trying to persuade the 'horsey types' that we all need to train at LL be it FJ, RW or ME(Tac), I've used the comparison that compares flying LL in the sim or over the sea is like trying to train a Grand National or Badminton winner in an indoor school and it's one they can relate to. Obviously I'd rather have foam in my wing tanks but for the sake of a few quid lets keep these people on side, we may need them to vote this 'james bl(o)unt' out!!

P.S.Slighty off thread,

Interested to read in T'graph about TB's top secret trip from Kuwait to B'dad, took 30 mins in a helo, hadn't realised PM had a supersonic CH-47, certain SKY journo asked if ac had foam in wings plus rest of DAS fit, couldn't lie as driving C130 devil variant..oh and it was at night, must have been the dark visor that slipped down.

PPS.
Maybe I should have just rotated, rolled, pulled and done the Nation a favour ?!!!!