PDA

View Full Version : GECAT

Aerofoil
28th Mar 2006, 15:23
Hi all

I did a search but couldnt find anything specific to Gecat.

I was just wondering if anyone has been and done a type rating there?

1) What are they like as a training provider?
2) Do they really try hard to get you employment after completing the
course?
3) Are you working for an airline now? which airline?

Many thanks

Foil

hixton
28th Mar 2006, 15:58
spoke to them and they said they are no longer taking self sponsored students.
If they do in the future it will be through OAT, Cabair.

Wingman42
28th Mar 2006, 16:29
Hmmm?

It just so happens that I spoke to GECAT yesterday ( the 27th ) and the line I received was that they had closed the lists for the time being but, I was encouraged to complete the on-line application form? The question dodging lady I spoke to would only say that the next courses to recent applicant would begin toward the "end of summer".

Of course the on-line form doesn't work any more and that is all the sense you will get out of them. I can say that a friend of mine recently completed the A320 course with them and said nothing but good things about the training levels? I guess it just takes a little longer to get to the professionals within the organization!:*

Wingman42
28th Mar 2006, 16:31
[quote=Wingman42]Hmmm?

It just so happens that I spoke to GECAT yesterday ( the 27th ) and the line I received was that they had closed the lists for the time being but, I was encouraged to complete the on-line application form? The question dodging lady I spoke to would only say that the next courses to recent applicant would begin toward the "end of summer".

Of course the on-line form doesn't work any more and that is all the sense you will get out of them. I can say that a friend of mine recently completed the A320 course with them and said nothing but good things about the training levels? I guess it just takes a little longer to get to the professionals within the organization!:*

Wingman42
28th Mar 2006, 16:32
First time post there ladies and gents! Sorry you got it twice!!?

Club World
29th Mar 2006, 12:20
How come they will be doing thier recruitment via OAT/CCAT?

ItsAjob
29th Mar 2006, 12:30
I think they take preference to Cabair and OAT students first.
Same old story.

JT8
29th Mar 2006, 15:27
The only reason for a preference for Oxford/Cabair etc. I'm sure would be a direct result of what their growing number of partner airlines have asked for.

:{

LAX
30th Mar 2006, 14:33
Its beyond belief that you pay good money (and a premium) for an integrated course to try and get ahead and open a few doors only to find that someone wants to offer you the privilage of a Type Rating Course and the chance to cough up another 20K.

Please Stop paying. I hope the accountants who dream up these schemes choke on them one day!

scameron77
13th Apr 2006, 08:08
I've just visited the GE Website, and found reference to IAGO Solutions. I've done an extensive web search and alas no joy.

http://www.gecat.com/individual_testingtraining.asp

So the question is, has anyone used them? If so what were your experiences of the operation and how efficient/honest were they? What is their role? Are they just an administration middleman?

I would guess as they are pretty slick to be involved with an organisation such as GE, but just thought I'd check.

stanlystansted
7th May 2006, 19:03
Hi all !

Has anybody done the SSTR with Astraeus recently, including the line training package? I'd just be interested to see whether it all happened on schedule and whether the candidates found jobs as a result. Regards, stanlystansted

A340rider
7th May 2006, 19:10
I have not seen this yet...but im thinking its will be more money!!

So where are you from Stanly?? The Heathrow area??

byseatofpants
7th May 2006, 20:41
Anyone got a heads up on the TRs offered by these two companies re: quality of training, value for money, customer service and success rate post course. I would appreciate any real experience and advice others have gained crossing this mineflield.

Thanks

Longchop
7th May 2006, 21:21
Neither are good value for money unless the airline is paying!!:}

blueb0y79
11th May 2006, 18:36
Can anybody give some useful information to the above question ? Has anybody been through either scheme ?

Cheers

blueb0y79
13th May 2006, 09:40
Damn never thought of doing a search (NOT!). :hmm:

Anyway can anyone advise whether the Bond assessment is Pass or Fail ? Or do they just recommend that you continue with the Type Rating or not ? Also do Bond continue to offer employment opportunities once the rating is finished ? If so, who with (other than Astreaus) and is Astreaus currently recruiting. If they are for which Type ?

Thanks again and thanks for the excellent PM's.

BB

zooloflyer
13th May 2006, 10:43
:=

oh my dear

Craggenmore
14th May 2006, 09:30
Bond is a pretty good place to do it.Have you also tried the CTC ACQ scheme?

Craggenmore
15th May 2006, 07:26
REMEMBER though that they will NOT have a job for you to walk into once you finish.
The CTC AQC will plus its £14 grand less :ok:

Sky Wave
15th May 2006, 10:18
So,

There is something out there called AQC which allows fATPL holders with as little as 150 hours to get a job with an established airline and you "don't really know much about it"?

The selection tests costs £164 and the AQC costs around £6800 inc accommodation. If you get through the entire selection process including the AQC you are given a type rating, guaranteed 6 months of line training and you are highly likely to get a job at the end of it. Why wouldn't anyone explore this as a first option prior to spending massive amounts of money on a type rating with no line hours?

So far as saying the selection process is a tad more rigorous does that mean you don't believe you are good enough?

I'm sorry if you're in the firing line on this one but Craggenmore is correct. You should look at the CTC route and at least understand what it is they do. They will not put you on the AQC if they do not think you will pass it hence it could only cost you £164 if you really are not up to it.

SW

Sky Wave
15th May 2006, 13:22
Topslide

You are mostly correct about the AQC. Apart from the fact that if the airline don't want you after the 6 months, CTC say they will place you with the next available airline. I believe the chances of getting a job are significantly higher on the CTC route. I am also told by someone who has done it that after the 6 months you go onto full FO pay and not a reduced salary (it's different for those that came straight from uni. ab-initio)

There is always the possibility that you could not make the grade and lose your £6.8k at any stage from the AQC, during the TR or during the line experience.

I realised the point of the original thread and suggest that stanleystansted and anyone else looking into a SSTR should look into CTC before committing to the SSTR route.

SW

Craggenmore
15th May 2006, 18:17
Topside,

My point was.....Why spend 20k on a no job SSTR, when (if you pass, and who's to say you wouldn't,) you can spend £6.8k and get a guaranteed job. I deeply apologise for trying to stop people giving Bond £20,000 pounds for "nothing" in return. Put it this way, I'd rather fail having spent 6.8k than 20k!

As you say...the tide is beginning to turn and SSTR is looking a less necessary option
SW...best of luck..! A little intelligence goes a long way in this industry ;-)

Antonio Montana
15th May 2006, 18:22
Of course you have to be under 34 for the CTC scheme, so that counts me and a lot of others out then:mad: :mad: :eek:

carbonfibre
15th May 2006, 19:25
Agree with Antonio, most of the answers here assume that we meet the age criteria, I would given the opportunity go the CTC route, age is not on my side, the walking stick gives makes it hard to get into the cockpit !!!!!!

:ok:

Forward Slip
17th May 2006, 08:07
Morning Stanley

Just making my way to Dublin to start the TR
I guess by the initial post that you are still un-descided whether to do the 737 TR or ATR. Having spoken to several people and some research it looks like the world will be crying out for "mature" first officers (like Us). So I guess what I am saying is

GO FOR IT!!

Stay in touch
Cornflake

Mooneyboy
5th Jun 2006, 11:25
Hi everyone.

Has anyone recently or in the past done a type rating with GECAT, what were your experiences and and how easily did you gain airline employment?

I know a lot of guys from Oxford recently started the A320 with conditional contracts and wish good luck to them all but anyone done it without the conditional contract?

I am a fresh ATPL and seriously considering this option, I know that there can be a large risk involved but my problem is I love flying and I don't like waiting around after having done all this training and feeling I'm getting less current and getting no where. I know a lot of you feel the same but I don't really want this thread to enter a ' should I buy a type rating or not' argument.

Also how would this course compare to the Astraeus bond aviation course.

Any relevant replies would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Mooneyboy:ok:

Callsign Kilo
5th Jun 2006, 16:41
There is some general consensus on here that GECAT are suggesting they a 'oversubscribed' when it comes to self funded TR training. It has been regarded that this could largely be due to the fact that they may only be interested in candidates that come recommended from a future employer or by a certain school in oxfordshire. Take this at face value if you want, but after two emails with no response from the organisation, I am starting to believe it!

EGNP
5th Jun 2006, 17:32
I know this is a little off topic,

I have a place on the A320 TR starting in august and i was wondering if nyone knows how long it typically takes to gain employment through the GECAT holding pool once the TR is completed.

I did the APP at oxford and thats how i got a sim check and interview, and i get the impression most sself sponcored students there are from integrated courses.

Jinkster
5th Jun 2006, 17:36
Is it possible to get a 757 TR at GECAT?

EGNP
5th Jun 2006, 17:46
yes it is, i have a handfull of friends who just did the 757TR, although that was for a specific airline

Mooneyboy
6th Jun 2006, 08:57
I am OAT mod grad so I went to them for a recent selection. Thanks for all the replies but anyone else know of success rates and experiences of GECAT SSTR? I think nearly everyone who goes there does eventually get a job just think the time varies.

Rgds

Mooneyboy:ok:

no sponsor
6th Jun 2006, 17:32
Does anyone have any specifics for the actual assessment? PM me if you prefer.

Bad Robot
5th Jul 2006, 23:38
No Sponser, GECAT detail in 737-300 as follows,

Sim detail was out of Frankfurt. Follow the SID "RID 2C" to 4000', 45 degree turns left and right, pick up the SID again to intercept the inbound Direct Entry Hold at RID VOR, twice round coz RMI's packed up ( had to get engineers to sort it out) and was virtually right over top of Beacon, so round for proper Hold, which was fine. Then ILS to land 07R, remembered the thrust reversers and to stow them through 60kts?? The instructor asked me all sorts of questions during the detail, nothing too strange or startling, was I left or right of track, when was I due back to work etc. That was it, said he didn't think there would be a problem passing the course.:ok:

BR.

speedrestriction
12th Jul 2006, 10:45
Is there anyone out there who has completed the 737 rating with GECAT in the past year but who has not found employment yet?

sr

fly now
12th Jul 2006, 18:35
Hi!!!
I am girl who apllyied for ctc programme.
I am only at the 2nd stage of my application and I really need info about the other step and if this is really convenient...
please if you have any info, or you know about specific questions..or tests they do...
thank you thank you

pushapproved
12th Jul 2006, 20:00
fly now: There is more than one thread specifically covering CTC Wings and the AQC. Try the search facility and type CTC Wings, (it requires more than three characters so won't produce any results if you just type CTC).

Failing this if you look further down the list under the Interviews, jobs & sponsorship - it is just a little further down the first page past this thread!

Good luck :ok:

Mooneyboy
13th Jul 2006, 10:42
Gator32 could you clear your message inbox.

Trying to pm you,

Mooneyboy

SinBin
21st Jul 2006, 14:54
Hi, who is eligible to apply to the GECAT - Easyjet scheme, is it only Oxford grads or can anyone? If it is anyone, how do you go about applying, as there's nothing on the Easyjet website about it! I'm not an OAT gad by the way! Also i'm not interested in OAT bashers or any bashers in that case!!

captwannabe
21st Jul 2006, 17:50
Have a look at the GECAT website www.gecat.com (http://www.gecat.com)

speedrestriction
22nd Jul 2006, 01:04
Seems to be bit of a backlog at GECAT at the moment, it took me two months to get a reply.

SR

avrodamo
22nd Jul 2006, 07:02
Although i did the 737 SSTR at GECAT there were 2 guys who were on a SSTR on the Airbus, who got taken on by the Big Orange straightaway. Neither were from Oxford.
As for me i have to wait 4 months before getting a position, after finishing the type rating. I can not fault the course, reading materials or instructors. It was all conducted very professionally.

New FO
22nd Jul 2006, 22:13
I'll 2nd that avrodamo, tuition was ace and they made the tr seem like a walk in the park. The instrument rating was a lot harder than the final LST on the TR.

As for Easy and GECAT, having just done the transition, I think easy are slowing up a tad with gecat due to a lack of training captains. My course was all ex OAT however we werent all integrated. I get the impression from talking to GECAT that they get a huge amount of applications and take aplicants for non destination courses very seriously. It doesnt matter of your background to get on one of these. All be it theres no destination, i believe all previous guys from a course like this are in. And as for the 'destination' courses, the job promise letter is so flimsy I'm supprised the banks come up with the money as there is no garuntee at all! An example from easy, it basically said "we'll probably give you a job in summer, if theres no recruitment downturn." As it happens we were subsequently delayed due to the training captains spanking all their hours earlier in the year!

GECAT non destinations probably not a bad idea. Including base training (arranged by Iago) it costs about 21.5k. You cant expect to go straight into a job, but once we're over the hurdle of this summer it peobably wont take long.

Also the Alteon My Travel Scheme worth a look. Only a 6 month contract tho.

Good luck to all!

potkettleblack
12th Sep 2006, 12:50
This info is about 12 months out of date but a mate gave me a copy of a memo from GECAT to Cabair that was up on their notice board. Cutting to the chase at the back of the marketing spin about the SSTR there was a table of the courses for that year - 737, airbus. Alongside each course a Cabair instructor had noted various airlines - Mytravel, BMI etc based on a meeting with one of the training captains at GECAT. The story being that from what I saw and read everyone had been placed, some even before they had completed the type rating. Talking to mates that have been down the SSTR route GECAT is one of the market leaders and definitely not a production line like so many of the cheaper alternatives.

BUS319
12th Sep 2006, 17:20
All,
Would be good to hear from anyone, good and bad. Do they have a good placement rate? anyone not been placed? etc etc etc

I went through GECAT on the placement TR and am really glad I did it. The training was of a very high standard and the end resulted in me signing on the dotted line with the promised airline. Out of 20 or so mates that have gone through I am yet to hear of a student who hasnt ended up where they believed they would be before they started.
What many people fail to realise is that although its expensive the starting salary is rarely below 35k and you will carry no bond with that airline should you want to leave. It would be nice if airlines paid the TR and some do however from a LOW HOURS perspective can you blame them. You have 220 hours and your last type was a 15 year old seneca you may evaluate it as a bit of a gamble investing 25k, i would!

BUS319
12th Sep 2006, 19:07
I was integrated but few of the other lads were modular.

too_sleepy
3rd Oct 2006, 09:47
Hi
This is a real long shot but has anyone heard of a type reting outfit called gcatt, it could be spelled differently.

Thanks

Dempes
4th Oct 2006, 16:34
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Gecat assessment for Airlines? especially the written psycho tests etc. It would be highly appreciated.:ok:

Dempes

no sponsor
4th Oct 2006, 16:59
For SIM detail, expect the 733, 757 or 767. 40 Min flight with a SID, tracking to/away from a beacon, into steep turns then 'resume own navigation' into the hold which was discussed in the brief. Straight into a STAR (no notice, and as I went overhead the beacon expecting another hold, so I guess he's looking at flight mgt skills) and ILS. Land and then position back on runway for another take-off but this time an engine out after V1.

As for the routes, they've got a few, and you only find out which one when you turn up.

Don't deviate by more than 100 ft, and don't miss any headings. Full use of MCC/CRM required.

Instructor/TRE doesn't say very much, no coaching, and is in the LHS. I'm non TR. If you have a TR expect a single engine ILS but you may use the FD and will be asked some technical questions.

Compass tests followed, including some spatial awareness, numeracy etc.

Dempes
5th Oct 2006, 11:15
hello again

cheers for replying, I know about the sim but need some info about the compass tests etc....thanks

dempes

wilcoluca
18th Jan 2007, 11:07
Hi,

I am considering the possibility of applying to them for a Self Funded TR with a view to a possible employment after completion.

I would like to hear from those of you who had experience with them, what are the possibilities and what more do they offer in respect to similar programme such as Sigmar?

Thanks!

SinBin
30th Jan 2007, 15:16
Well, I've decided to do the GECAT Pilot Program, having been accepted onto it, with possibilities of being put forward for interview with certain airlines.

Can I have some feedback from people who have recently done the SSTR?

Thanks

Green Army
6th Feb 2007, 09:42
Hello All,

Is there anyone out there that can give me information regarding the assessment with Gecat? I wonder what the apptitude tests etc are all about?!?!?

Please any info is welcom!

THX:D

SinBin
6th Feb 2007, 10:47
It's a sim check initially on 737, 757, or 767.

Take off
SID
Track to a beacon,
steep turns
then possibly another beacon,
hold at the second beacon,
Procedural ILS to land
Same ILS with one engine

They give you the route when you arrive. It's quite tough, they are looking for a certain standard and the best tip is to memorise pitch and power settings and try not to go first which gives to time to prepare and stay within +/-100 ft and within 5 degrees of heading. Try to keep deviations on ILS down to 1/2 a dot too and don't go below selected speed at all.

They tell you there and then whether you'd be recommended and you usually get offered the course you request on the next day, if you pass. Aptitude tests and interviews are a 'healthcheck' as 'you can't fail them'. They then give you a debrief and tell you where to improve etc.

That's it!

Localiser Green
7th Feb 2007, 15:51
Same ILS with one engine

They give you a s/e ILS when you haven't got a type rating? Bit harsh isn't it? :uhoh:

SinBin
8th Feb 2007, 09:06
Why harsh? It's not as hard as it sounds!

boogie-nicey
20th Feb 2007, 10:50
Are there any written tests such as reasoning or arithmetic...? If so what form do they take and how long do you have to complete them.

Thanks.

class a
20th Feb 2007, 14:02
And thats for the privilege of giving them 20k plus for a type rating

avrodamo
20th Feb 2007, 17:47
There was no single engine ILS on mine. It was out of Shannon. Tracking a few NDBs, steepturns. Maintain 5000ft. Accel to 250 kts, slow it to 210 knots. Take up hold, and then procedural ILS to land. Put me back then at 7 miles and got me to do ILS again whilst asking me a few questions, whats your date of birth? Whats your telephone no? It was quite tough, but also relaxed.

planeshipcar
21st Feb 2007, 03:22
When applying to GECAT, how is it decided whther you are suited for the pilot programme or the independent pilot programme.

Does it take long to get an assessment with GECAT once handing in CV and also do independent pilot to well in secruring jobs quickly?

If you haven't been to Oxford will you have difficulty?

SinBin
21st Feb 2007, 08:20
There are a huge number of Oxford guys who go through GECAT, everyone on my assessment was Oxford, except me, and I got through. It doesn't really make much difference, but I think the majority of the CVs they put forward for assessment are from recommendation from OAT. I think they get inundated with them.

The IPS and GPP are one of the same thing. Most people start on the IPS and are either put forward for jobs during or shortly after the TR.

This is what I have been told.

Capt.Tentacles
28th Feb 2007, 16:06
Hi all, I will be going for A320 training at GCAT, London.

Just wondering if anybody has a website addy for that place?

Also how is the Training Curriculum Structured? How long is ground school? How many sim sessions?

Pilots that have gone through that school what their opinion is? Also if they have any suggestions, concerns or ideas?

Folks, I would appreciate any & all info! (Serious Replies please)

Capt. T

Capt.Tentacles
28th Feb 2007, 20:58
ANYBODY!!!!Any one have an idea?

neilia
28th Feb 2007, 21:17
Were you after something different to www.gecat.com?

Capt.Tentacles
1st Mar 2007, 05:31
You are totally correct! It was GECAT & not GCAT.:\ I did google it and find the website.
But was unable to get any course/curriculum info. Also the website was acting up. So still in limbo....

But thanks anyway!:)

T

CAT3C AUTOLAND
1st Mar 2007, 06:15
Try this http://www.gecat.com/pilot_programme.asp

damicod
4th Mar 2007, 18:47
SinBin

Your quote:

"Aptitude tests and interviews are a 'healthcheck' as 'you can't fail them'. They then give you a debrief and tell you where to improve etc."

Are you refering only to the psycometric questionaire, or all the other tests inc: maths, spacial awareness and memory tests aswell?

Surely you can fail them and as a result they wont take you on
rgds

SinBin
5th Mar 2007, 10:51
It's mainly based on your sim check. Which is very demanding as they are looking for a certain standard.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
5th Mar 2007, 12:25
Just to let you know, I have known people that have failed it, so it may be worth getting practice in if anyone is going.

PaulW
5th May 2007, 17:58
Do a search for GECAT sim checks, either 737 or 757, Shannon or Frankfurt. SID, G/H VOR hold, STAR ILS, followed by a engine failure after V1 if youve passed.