PDA

View Full Version : Whites on, whites off.

tonkatechie
5th Jun 2006, 10:53
Having broadened my horizens to outside the tonka world, I've discovered the joy of working with VIP aircraft. However, there doesn't appear to be any regulations on their handling (local or JSP) where I work. Therefore I thought I'd ask all you fonts of knowledge out there: when do you have to wear whites, how many people in whites for a see-in / off. Any rules on ranks involved, or perhaps more easily, is there an AP or JSP that covers it? I tried the JAP, but it only covers the maintenance for the aircraft.
Thanks in advance, and standing by for the incoming sarcasm!:ok:

FOMere2eternity
5th Jun 2006, 11:06
Odd as this may sound, I think it's left to a CO's discretion. And let's face it, having you in whites for the AOC or the AOC's dog is of little consequence to him really is it?

The execs will brief for each VIP visit well in advance and this kind of thing will be decided and then published in the Visit Instruction. Either way I don't think there's a wall chart or a points system that you can refer to quickly when getting dressed at Chez Techie.

Roadster280
5th Jun 2006, 18:58
HQ 1GP MAOTs used to do a lot of VIP work, and basically, whites or not was dictated by the type/fit/colour of the ac.

I did one job with the then PM, in a Puma, so it was greens.

Another was Duchess of York in a Queen's Flight Wessex. Definitely whites.

Another was the AOC on some jolly or other in a white Gazelle, again, whites.

Weirdest one was a civvy suit on Chelsea Bks parade square. Was a Puma again, and civil servants. Maybe someone was taking the pi$$.

No idea what goes on now, but that's as it was 10 yrs ago. I suppose you could say today, if it's 32 Sqn with a VIP then whites, otherwise greens.

tonkatechie
5th Jun 2006, 22:03
Cheers for the comments. We tend to get told that it's a VIP, and therefore whites, I was just surprised that someone somewhere has missed out on a chance to add a little more bureaucracy to our lives in the form of a 'how many blokes in relation to rank, title, appointment etc' order. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased that we're given a bit of free reign for once!
I guess I'll keep quiet in case one of the Airships thinks it's a good idea...:oh:

Blacksheep
6th Jun 2006, 00:58
From dim and distant days on 32 in the seventies, there was a 'protocol' document that defined who is and who is not a VIP. I can't remember the document number but it is, or was a Cabinet Office document. At the time Northolt had a Group Captain whose sole function it seemed, was to wear his best uniform with gold dress cords and stand at attention saluting the knobs. Meanwhile Wingco Ops got on with running the station.

A VIP was in descending order:
British Royalty - HM, DoE, PoW, other children of HM (+GoH on official visits)
Visiting Head of State (+GoH)
Prime Minister,
Cabinet Ministers
Foreign Ambassadors on official duty
Military Officers of the rank of General or equivalent - i.e. Admiral, Air Chief Marshal

Below that, folks were merely important and didn't justify special treatment. (Tell that to the AOC! Rather you than me...) According to a rank based scale they'd be met by a Wing Commander with a car or picked up in a mini-bus. No doubt the rules will have changed over the years, but I'd bet that Northolt Operations Wing have a copy of the latest Gen.

Northolt - the only place I've ever bumped into an AVM in the NAAFI wagon queue. :ooh:

Roadster280
6th Jun 2006, 01:24
I used to feel like a VIP when my "personal Puma" landed on the peritack at Upavon to pick us up for an exercise. Or mighty Wokka would drop us off after night flying. As a mere 22-year old Lance Corporal! To think.. I could have been stacking shelves in Sainsburys.. or playing with big, noisy, expensive, flying things, that came to personally pick me up! Ramp ride in a Wokka, or unload another trailer of dog food? Door gunnery with GPMG or stocktake frozen chips? If I could have bottled that feeling, and had it issued to new recruits, we would never have had a recruiting or retention problem. F***ing great!

Went up in the world as a Corporal in Bos. I happened to be the sole pax on the "round robin" heli bus, usually a GE CH53. On this day however... was a US Black Hawk, with AH-64 "top cover". Lots of eyes looking, as the sole bod getting off the Black Hawk at Sarajevo with the Apache standing off at about 100ft. Made me think of the days of the AOC and whites!