PDA

View Full Version : Solo ( at last)

modelman
4th Jun 2006, 22:23
Got P1 in my log book today-what a great feeling.:)
Got the the airfield early as I like to settle myself after the drive there and thought I may have chance of solo.
Weather absolutely perfect.
30 mins before I go,black sky appears but lo, no rain.
On my preflight discovered a small problem with a/c that was quickly fixed.
Got in,did my checks,started up,radio on-tuned to ATIS then nothing,not even a hiss or crackle.Switched to Tower and could hear them all right and requested radio check and airfield info which came through ok.
Took off, turned xwind,looking to the downwind straight into a local downpour right in the middle of the downwind leg.
With all the other problems,I thought the Gods were conspiring to ruin my day.
Anyway,managed 3 good circuits ( in spite of a lot of orbiting due to traffic).On no.4 FI corrected my t&g call into a full land. I thought my chance had evaporated.
Joy of joys,FI called ATC to inform them of my upcoming solo.He jumped out and I think I did a pretty decent circuit and landing.Traffic called me to offer congrats (nice).On top of the world.
Funny thing,with all the nerves I have had before,when it came to go on my own,the training took over and I didn't have a moment to to worry about things.
Looking forward to getting away from the airfield for some new stuff.
Thanks to all ppruners who have encouraged me through some of my 'lows'
Modelman

acuba 290
4th Jun 2006, 22:25
congratulations with 1st solo!;)

Jenni Morton
4th Jun 2006, 22:36
Well Done

Hope you celebrate with style!
:D :D :D

J.A.F.O.
4th Jun 2006, 22:54
Congratulations. A day you'll not forget.

I sincerely hope that you're too drunk to read this until tomorrow.

:D

cessna l plate
5th Jun 2006, 09:12
Many congratulations. I found that the training did take over, and I only really worried when about 10 feet off the deck and thought "oops (or words to that effect, more like a russian word ending in 'ell) that it was down to me, no more instructor to drag me out of the smelly stuff!

The feeling of acheiving something, and the yard wide smile never really go away. Funnily enough I am here sat in my office looking at the certificate on the wall, and it has cheered me up on a very bad morning!

If your club don't do certificates (a lot dont) then e-mail Todays Pilot, you get a mention in the mag, a couple of mags to entice you to buy it, and a nice certificate to hang on the wall.

Remember this, you have acheived something that a very very small percentage of the population have done, you have been the commander of an aircraft in flight, you can call yourself a pilot. Smirk like you mean it!!!

Cricket23
5th Jun 2006, 12:31
Congrats. Great feeling isn't it.

C23

bar shaker
5th Jun 2006, 14:59
There's still a licence to get, but this is the benchmark that defines you as a pilot. Well Done.

aw8565
5th Jun 2006, 16:27
Made me smile reading your post as I thought back to my first solo. Its the best...

B Fraser
5th Jun 2006, 17:07
GOOD ON YER !

Going solo out of the circuit into your local area to practice forced landings will give you a similar thrill. I hope they gave you a nice certificate to frame and hang in the lav :D

microlight AV8R
5th Jun 2006, 17:32
Well done, it's great to read about people achieving such a huge step forward. I had a brilliant day in the circuit on Sunday and hope to follow in your footsteps very soon. :D

RatherBeFlying
5th Jun 2006, 18:05
On my first solo, the training took over and I noticed that the performance of the C-150 vastly improved without the 200# FI -- probably first time under gross:}

Then came the realisation on getting it into the air that I had to get it back down again -- so far, so good.

Keep adding money and keep that nose on the grindstone -- that's how aviation works:}

JW411
5th Jun 2006, 18:22
Despite the fact that it was nearly 50 years ago, I still remember my first solo. Since then I have had a fantastic flying career.

Well done on your great event. Whatever happens in your life from here on in no one but no one will ever be able to take that great thrill away from you. I wish you every good fortune for the future and, most importantly, enjoy every minute of your flying.

Fly safely and always be prepared to listen - well done.

MyData
5th Jun 2006, 18:42
Well done!

speke2me
5th Jun 2006, 19:16
Congrats indeed :D
As someone mentioned, a licence yet to go, but for all intents you can now call yourself a pilot, having controlled 2 tons of metal safely in the air at 100mph and got it down safely :ok:
Hope to follow you soon - now done 2 hrs of circuits myself in C150, but onerous work commitments mean my next lesson is mid July :(