PDA

View Full Version : Transiting Luton airspace CTR

coodem
4th Jun 2006, 17:05
I wish to fly from Cranfield to Elstree, now normally I fly around Luton’s CTR, which is a class D. I will be flying VFR.

I know I have the right to go through, so long I get permission. As I need as much radio practise as possible I thought I would go through the next time I’m going in that direction.

What is everyone’s experience? Do the usually just let people through, is it straight forward, what altitude do they normally get GA to fly through. Will they be constantly vectoring me around

I know this all sounds stupid to most, but I just want to make sure I’m prepared.

Squawk 2650
4th Jun 2006, 17:16
I’ve been through luton before and they were very friendly and helpful. You need to sound confident on the radio and think about your route. I tend to ask for a route at a certain altitude and then say … or whatever height is convenient to you.

Its mainly gonna depend on how busy they are … if you don’t ask you don’t get. Just have a backup route in mind just incase.

Most controllers are very good but they are very very busy boys and girls. I’m sure if they can get you through they will….

Have Fun

S
:cool:

MarcJF
4th Jun 2006, 17:19
I've also been through Luton a few times, my advice is to call as early as possible with your intentions, if you're going from Cranfield call around Flitwick, they are very helpful and will try to get you though if workload allows.

Longbow55
4th Jun 2006, 17:32
I suggest what Marc said, When I tried they were real busy, so I didn't get a transition.

bladewashout
4th Jun 2006, 20:00
Not sure how much time it would save, particularly of you get held. I go through panshanger overhead then skirt round their zone at about 1500ft via Biggleswade and then West.

They won't let you through if your RT is not up to par, or if you are not roughly where you say you are when you call in.

BW

Keef
4th Jun 2006, 20:17
They won't let you through if your RT is not up to par,
You may be surprised! Certainly, competent RT will help your case, but they will try to accommodate everyone if they can. There is surprisingly little correlation between quality of RT and success of transit requests.

eyeinthesky
4th Jun 2006, 20:35
Expect to be sent towards the threshold of the runway in use as that deconflicts you from departing traffic. Expect to be told to wait if there are arrivals (due the go-around possibility which would make your presence over the trhreshold embarrassing!).

FullyFlapped
4th Jun 2006, 21:11
You couldn't pick a better zone to start your "crossing experience" : there are many excellent controllers around the UK (and some not quite so .... err ... helpful), but with due deference to the other good guys, I have without exception found the ATC at Luton to be absolutely brilliant at handling VFR transits. I've requested crossings of their zone loads of times, and never once been bounced - which is more than I can say for certain others (and we all can probably name them !).
It can be very busy, so make sure you know where you are when you call, where you want to enter and exit, and make your call short, precise and confident. If you're a bit uncertain with your RT, practice the call a few times before you make it ! As to level, unless you've got a very good reason for wanting a specific level, let them decide - chances are you'll get a "route via the XX threshold not above 2400". Then just make sure you drive accurately and bobs yer firkin !
FF :ok:

rjt194
5th Jun 2006, 00:32
Ok, if memory serves (I haven't flown there since Christmas)...

Circuit height is 1000 QFE (1500 QNH). There is a north/south (S?)VFR transit lane, which you can join from the north at the Pirton VRP, cross the centre of the runway to the Hyde VRP, then on to the Hemel VRP. As you come out of the south lane the LTMA is 2500+. The last time I flew from Luton I was in the south lane at 2400 QFE.

Coming from Cranfield do not be tempted to just follow the M1. You wont make yourself too popular with the traffic coming in on 08 or out of 26.

The Luton controllers are a nice bunch. Remember there is a flying school there so they are used to peoples RT not being perfect.

coodem
5th Jun 2006, 06:22
Thanks for all the replies, I will give it a go in the next few days and see how I get on. I will make sure I am familiar with all the VRP's. And at the same time be prepared for a diversion

aw8565
5th Jun 2006, 06:38
Good luck with that coodem, you da man!

On the same note, does anyone have any experiences of overflying Gatwick? I work there and hope to maybe take some piccies one day. I see choppers all the time but have only once seen a Piper Warrior overhead the field... Should I be worried!?

Fuji Abound
5th Jun 2006, 10:31
Transited both ways this weekend and do so reasonably regularly.

The VFR transit lane is clearly shown on the chart with the southern entry at Hemel and the northern entry at Pirton. You may find a short hold is necessary at either point. If you want to make the transit just take up an orbit and wait. Of course if there is much of a delay it is quicker to route east or west around the zone, as the zone is not large. Usually you will be asked to route behind any inbound traffic - "caution wake vortex" either below 2,000 or 2,500 feet or if there is no inbound traffic via the active threshold.

The controllers are pretty much all very good although there is the occasional one who is rather cautious.

As a general comment whilst transits have improved immensely we are still not that good at accomodating GA traffic in this country. I often feel that controllers could do with spending six months in the States!

If you are trasiting south bound and going any where east of Farnborough you might also want a SVFR through Heathrow. Unfortunatley you will rarely get a hand over at weekends (its better during the week), so you need to be ready to get a call in pretty quickly. Farnborough and Heathrow work closely so their operations appear more seamless and you will often get a retain Squawk and contact Farnborough etc.

Heathrow seem reluctant to handle more than one transit at a time as also does Luton. I am sure this never use to be the case??

buzzc152
5th Jun 2006, 10:52
I transit Luton every other day. Very easy. They'll normally ask you to route via one of the thresholds.......... make sure you get the right one !!

Gatwick is a little trickier, but I've done it a few times. Just try not to sound like a muppet on the radio.

dwshimoda
5th Jun 2006, 11:52
Coodem,

Luton shouldn't be a problem - I regularly go through, and like you am based at Cranfield.

Best advice I can give:

1) As soon as possible after departing Cranfield, switch to Luton - it gives them plenty of time to deal with you before you're hitting their zone
2) As others have said - sound confident - it instills confidence that you will listen and follow their instructions correctly!
3) Again, as others have said, expect to cross the threshold of the runway in use. Luton's runway is almost the same as Cranfield's, so if you depart Cranfield on 21, expect to cross the Eastern threshold of Luton, and vice-versa
4) Hold your altitude well, and follow all their instructions.
5) If you can, try and avoid their busy times - you have much more chance of a transit when they don't have millions of Easy's / Ryan's inbound
6) Enjoy it - it's really cool flying over and looking down at all the Easy's etc!

I've never once been refused a transit - occassionally held for a couple of minutes, but always accommodated by friendly controllers.

I know this all sounds stupid to most, but I just want to make sure I’m prepared.

Nothing stupid at all atbout seeking advice to improve your knowledge.