PDA

View Full Version : FI Pay.

Whirlybird
3rd Jun 2006, 19:42
What's the going rate for rotary FI(R)s in the north of the UK at the moment? It seems to have been about £30/hour for years and years and years. Have flying schools heard of inflation? Is anyone getting any more? And while I'm asking, what about when I finally get rid of the restriction?

If we've discussed this recently and I missed it, please direct me to the thread and I'll delete this one. But I did a search and couldn't find anything posted on it in the last few years.

helicopter-redeye
3rd Jun 2006, 20:02
I asked the prop of a 'Northern' flying school this two weeks ago and he said "£40"/hr at least.

h-r;)

mongoose237
3rd Jun 2006, 20:15
Agree with H-R. £40/hr is both the minimum and the average these days, and that seems to have been the rate for a few years now, and thats from a good cross section of schools. However, don't expect it to change when you get derestricted, just expect more work to come your way.

£30 (or £20 - £30 mentioned in another thread) .... :eek:

The climate is good for instructing - most fresh instructors coming out their courses are securing positions immediately if not before completion. All good news for the industry :)

ShyTorque
3rd Jun 2006, 23:51
You lot want pay AS WELL as the privilege of instructing? In my day we used to get nowt f'rit! :p

R22DRIVER
4th Jun 2006, 00:34
Was that ' During the war' my old fella!!??

Whirlygig
4th Jun 2006, 07:05
Don't wish to be pedantic but you can't have £40 per hour as a minimum AND an average because, as Whirly states, she is getting £30 per hour which will bring down the average (and is obviously the minimum!!) :ok:

However, if £40 is the average, it implies there are some people getting more than that so some negotiation is in order.

Cheers

Whirls

Actually, I love being pedantic! Sorry!

Camp Freddie
4th Jun 2006, 07:59
I know a few guys who instruct in midands/south east and they all seem to get £45 if they are FI and £40 if they are FI(R).

regards

CF

mongoose237
4th Jun 2006, 08:05
:rolleyes: @ whirly

I should have added, "in my experience", and I should have used the term "mode"

:p

But yes, there certainly are people getting more than that, and these busy times would seem an opportune time to renegotiate if an instructor so desired. Day rates are becoming slightly more common now in the instructing environment, particularly for those that travel.

Whirlybird
4th Jun 2006, 08:06
Thanks, people. Seems like I need to ask for a pay rise.

ShyTorque
4th Jun 2006, 09:23
Was that ' During the war' my old fella!!??

Which one? - We've had so many! :p

The Nr Fairy
4th Jun 2006, 10:37
Seeing as you've been flying for a while, I think it's the Boer War.

ShyTorque
4th Jun 2006, 18:37
Boer? Thanks - if it wasn't for my gammy leg - I'd..... :*

:p

CRAZYBROADSWORD
4th Jun 2006, 20:02
45 pound an hour piston and 55 for turbine north london area.