PDA

View Full Version : Best/Cheapest way to get from NYC to LAX area

rusty_c
3rd Jun 2006, 19:32
Yea well they question says it all. I just wondered if there were any hidden gems in the US by the way of LCCs! Thanks Alot

seacue
3rd Jun 2006, 21:10
The most likely loco would be JetBlue. Others could be ATA and AirTran. Southwest doesn't serve the major NewYorkCity airports. The legacy carriers often meet or beat the prices of the "cheaper" lines if you reserve well in advance and avoid peak days.

I have a reservation on American Airlines from Washington IAD to Santa Anna/Orange County/John Wayne SNA and return - in late July - for US$259, all taxes and fees included. Go out on Thursday, return Monday. That's less than six US cents per mile for the roughly 4500 miles! This is about the same distance as London to Israel and return.

I can remember a decade ago when $400 round trip to the West Coast was a big bargain. How times have changed.

seacue

Globaliser
4th Jun 2006, 14:32
Yea well they question says it all. I just wondered if there were any hidden gems in the US by the way of LCCs!For the first step in searching, go to the ITA Software demo site (http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/) and have a play with the dates that you need, and also with the flexibility (times, stops, nearby airports, etc) that you're prepared to throw into the equation. This will give you a feel for what the general market looks like for your dates.

Incidentally, added flexibility can be quite dramatic. Looking at random dates of 25 June - 2 July, the cheapest non-stop (using that site) between an NYC airport and LAX looks like it's $366 on CO. Add one stop each way and the cheapest is $355 using a mix of ATA and Air Tran. Widen the search for nearby airports as well, up to 50 miles away, and the cheapest is $347 on AA. Widen the nearby airports to 100 miles, and the cheapest fare falls dramatically to $237 on DL (starting the trip from PHL).

Then try the websites of the low-fare airlines that don't participate in GDSs, like Southwest and jetBlue. Remember that some don't fly to the major airports in every city. For example, Southwest flies to LAX, but its nearest airport to NYC is probably ISP. jetBlue flies to JFK and LGA (though LGA is irrelevant for your purposes as its flights only serve Florida), but not LAX - its nearest airports to LAX are probably LGB, ONT and BUR. (Southwest also flies to BUR and ONT, and SNA as well.)

For service levels, jetBlue seems to be pretty highly regarded, generally speaking.

Pax Vobiscum
5th Jun 2006, 13:21
Or, if time isn't pressing there's always Amtrak - fares from $184 (but it does take 3 days). You'll meet a lot of interesting folks and the scenery's much better, so is the food although it isn't included in the fare!

slim_slag
5th Jun 2006, 15:27
I just wondered if there were any hidden gems in the US by the way of LCCs!Southwest isn't neccessarily a Low Cost anymore, the majors will often match their prices, but only in direct markets where Southwest competes. Otherwise the majors will charge what they can get away with.

A good way to get a last minute cheapish deal coast-coast on Southwest is go on ebay and bid for a rapid rewards ticket.