PDA

View Full Version : Glenforsa History

Kiltie
3rd Jun 2006, 17:20
http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/glenforsa-airfield.htm

I've just discovered this fascinating archive site compiled by David Howitt recording the eventful 40 years of the Glenforsa Airfield on the Isle of Mull.

Anyone who has met David will know he always has a story to tell; it seems he's compiled them all here.

I can't believe someone flew that 172 with the tailplane so badly damaged!

robo283
18th Jun 2006, 17:03
Oh the nostalgia! I visited Glenforsa in 1979, just in time for the final LC flight (by a strange irony I wound up working for LC a few years later). The hotel was first rate and the Howitt family were legendary. If I ever really need to get away from it all (with or without drinking myself into oblivion!) Glenforsa would be the place I would choose.

i.dingbat
23rd Jun 2006, 13:58
Glenforsa was (and probably still is) a regular drinking hole for certain university diving clubs. On one occasion in the 1980s the barman promised to buy us all a drink if I identified all the a/c models hanging from the ceiling. I did, but then couldn't find him :{

We dived the remains of Peter Gibbs' Cessna in October 1986 and found a wing in 32m. We carried out a search from the wing to see if any other wreckage lay nearby, using compass bearings, but found nothing. Proved the compass by swimming back to the wing, and picked up plenty of scallops, which made a good lunch.

I remember watching some impressive aerobatics by model a/c too.

Never flown in there, but one day...

BOAC
23rd Jun 2006, 17:47
Used to take a Cessna 310 in there in the 80's. Fond memories of the place: clearing the sheep before landing; eating in the restaurant with a cat on the table; others I cannot mention:)

Kiltie
2nd Jul 2006, 19:18
i.dingbat was it only the wing you found? There is conflicting information about where the rest, if any, of the wreckage is located.

i.dingbat
20th Jul 2006, 14:08
Just the wing I'm afraid. This was in October 1986, and it was found by Dick Greaves and other scallop divers. My logbook says most of the wreckage is north of the airstrip, but doesn't give a source for this information.

At that time I was much more interested in the scallops!

Cheers

Iain