PDA

View Full Version : Balance on one leg?

Jimmy The Big Greek
2nd Jun 2006, 16:28
Tried to balance on one leg with my arms to the sides and my eyes shut.
I could not stand like this more then 15 seconds. Is this normal?

effortless
2nd Jun 2006, 16:39
Tied to balance on one leg with my arms to the sides and my eyes shut.
I could not stand like this more then 15 seconds. Is this normal?

How much had you had to drink?
Sorry, yes it is normal if you aren't used to standing on one leg with your eyes shut.

Jimmy The Big Greek
2nd Jun 2006, 16:57
ok, Was just wondering because I think I was tested on a JAA medical. I was just wondering if there is any requirement how long time you must last.

Loose rivets
2nd Jun 2006, 22:18
Following spraining my ankle, I found that I could not run again after months of keeping it free of unusual loading, like sports. As I was a fitness fanatic I became very concerned that I had a real problem, and went to the sports injury clinic at an Essex hospital.

The doctor said raise the bad foot and close your eyes. This I did without no problems. He then told me to raise my good foot and stand on the bad one. As I shut my eyes I fell on his desk.

In my case, many of the nerves that send information back to the brain had been damaged, but the pain was certainly still getting back! As someone that is very analytical about such things, I was very surprised that I had not found this out for myself.

So check that your difficulties are equal both sides. It seems that we rely on this telemetry more than is generally realised. Could you have any localized damage that would account for the difficulties you are experiencing?

(BTW, ultrasound and physiotherapy worked wonders. Back to running after about 6 weeks of out-patient visits once a week )

SpiritTJB
3rd Jun 2006, 11:44
Greetings!
Standing on one leg with the eyes shut gives your balance a test. The fine thing about balance, is that it can be rehearsed and improved. Close your eyes, stand on one leg, and keep going at it for as long as you can..dont give up by putting your other foot down, cause thats not training your balance. It might be frustrating in the beginning, but try to relax your bodey and focus your mind.
Unless you have any medical problems regarding your foot, you should be able to do this within a short periode of time. Practice makes masters.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,
TJB

Jimmy The Big Greek
3rd Jun 2006, 15:49
Actually spirittjb you are right. I am now able to stand 30 seconds.

Lou Scannon
4th Jun 2006, 20:22
Pity...the doc requires 2 hours 25 minutes!