PDA

View Full Version : Studying tips.

pltskiracer
2nd Jun 2006, 15:33
Well I just did it......I just purchased the JAA long distance course through Naples Air Center. Any studying tips on how to get through all this material. I will be working full time.

Christian.

paco
3rd Jun 2006, 01:19
"It has been found that, within two days, if it isn't reviewed, people remember less than 70% of any subject matter they have studied. By the end of the month, the figure falls to 40%. On the other hand, if it's looked over again within 2 days, then 7, you should be above the 70% level until the 28th day. Another review then should make it remain long-term. In fact, short and frequent bursts of study are more effective than one long one - the brain appears to like short "rests" to assimilate knowledge. Constant reviewing is the key, especially for a short time at the end of each day."

(Source: Ohio State University).

Then you need to practice, practice and practice the exams…….

Good luck!

Phil

pltskiracer
3rd Jun 2006, 02:15
I appreciate the information Phill. All i have is the "easy" FAA ATP but I am actually looking forward to start on this. It always good to educate yourself.
I have plenty of time to work on this between long layovers and on long transatlantic flights, so hopefully I will have this done within a years time.

Christian.

Chocks_Away
3rd Jun 2006, 08:11
Hi, since you have spent fairly large sums of money on the study material I would advise that you spent a few £ (or $) on a much respected book, “Use Your Head by Tony Buzan”. It covers retaining information as mentioned above and many techniques to remembering and recalling information. Infact this would be an excellent book for anyone studying.

Hope you find this book as much help as I have, and will.

Regards,

Chocks_away (just so you know my names is not Tony!)

potkettleblack
3rd Jun 2006, 08:27
Some tips:

- Presumably your school has a study guide so use that as a basis and put dates and weeks onto it to track your progress

- Set a target date for sitting your first module of exams and stick to it, excepting of course acts of god etc. It is very easy to find reasons to put the date of your exams off

- I found reading a section of the manuals through was easier than making notes as I went. Then on the 2nd pass through the manuals I started to make some notes.

- about a month or so before you do your first sitting enrol on the ATP website and do all the questions over and over again.

Its a long and laborious process going through the 14 ATPL's and I can't underestimate just how much work will be involved and how many weekends/nights you will have to give up to get through it. Good luck.

learboys
5th Jun 2006, 21:35
get bristol questions.
www.bristol.gs (http://www.bristol.gs) all the questions and help you need to pass.

eyuppp
6th Jun 2006, 08:05
Hi pltskiracer,

Paco's right. I've come across this statement before.

Anyway, when I was at Uni studying for my degree when I got home on an evening I would spend the evening reviewing the notes I'd made during the course of the day. In addition, I would set aside 40 mins or so for one subject a night, when I would go over earlier notes and attempt tutorial questions.

I'd draw up a timetable for the week, specifying which subjects I would revise each night, limited to 40 mins per subject and no more than two (plus the days review) and I'd stick to this. Sure its easy to get into the zone and feel like doing a bit more, or an extra subject but whats important (or was for me) was to stick with plan. Revising earlier material, even if you've only done a little bit helps lodge it into long term memory.

Then, when it comes to exams set a similar revision structure say four weeks before the exams. Set aside a morning for one subject and the afternoon for a entirely different subject, so thats two subjects a day. And working back from the date of your first exam, the afternoon of the day before should be that subject... you can use this as a guide for setting your revision timetable.

This is only advice, its free, it worked for me.. I'm no rocket scientist, I can't remember things and I have to work very hard to learn things... but I managed to get a first! (btw the course was electronic and comms engineering so quite involved).

Good luck, it'll be hard but if you're committed you can do it!

E!