PDA

View Full Version : A question for UK onshore Corporate/VIP pilots

Aviatophobia
1st Jun 2006, 18:52
Hi Folks,

I've tried the search function but cannot find what I'm looking for :{

I'm a self funded 1000 hr JAA CPL/FI. Circumstances now allow me to fund an IR :)

I understand from N. Sea operators that they aren't too bothered whether the IR is SE or ME.

At face value the SE IR would be the cheapest option, but not if I also then have to fund my own multi IR on say an AS355 or A109 at a later date.

I've always found Scotland to be a bit too cold for my liking and would ultimately like an onshore corporate position.

To those in the know - are the bigger onshore VIP operators equally as flexible regarding a SE or ME IR??? Or realistically am I about as much use as a chocolate teapot without the ME (Before the banter starts yes I agree that as an inexperienced IR pilot it's more than likely the Choccie teapot will be more use :E )

Any views greatfully received. I'm simply trying to make the most sensible decision with the cash (Yes I know most sensible would be to spend the money on women and booze and forget the flying :) )

Cheers in advance :ok:

Camp Freddie
1st Jun 2006, 21:29
hey mr phobia,

i would be very suprised if a corporate operator would touch you with 1000 hours total and an IR, SE or ME

now if you were a 3000-5000 hour pilot with lots of twin, who added an IR to his belt that would be different.

but a 1000 hour pilot with a new IR and no experience of IFR for real would be in my opinion a danger to himself and others and a risk to hire.

you do need to practice your IFR skills and that is where the north sea is so good, there is someone next to you who can reduce the f*** up factor which is always around the corner.

so I think your question is bogus , with your experience I believe you cant afford to rule out your best career path, i learnt a long time ago that if you want the great job down the road you often have to go hundreds or thousands of miles away serve your apprenticeship and then come back to your nice job (which by that time you will have realised is not so nice with substantially lower pay, many more days working and on standby)

once you have had a few more interesting moments while IFR you will see what i mean, for example when you are doing an approach at your alternate in crap weather which is getting worse by the minute and no fuel to go anywhere else, you will wish to be on the ground more than you can imagine !

what do you think? £30000 or so is a lot to spend if you have just ruled out your most likely employers for yourself

regards

CF

Aviatophobia
1st Jun 2006, 22:27
Hi Camp Freddie,

Thanks for the reply. My question is in no way bogus.

I wouldn't want or expect a SPIFR position - only too aware of just how inexperienced I am (relatively speaking) and just how much more demanding IFR will be. Aviation is my second career and my self preservation gene is VERY strong :)

I'm established in central UK with a family who won't move to ABZ. I'm not ruling out working there but my family always will be a strong influence.

To me that means that any N Sea job would have to be ok with me living locally whilst I work, whilst having a home elsewhere ( Eg 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off), and wife is ok with that arrangement.

I fully accept that the N. Sea provides a very good learning environment but being unable to relocate on a permanent basis may potentially count against me :{

My question was based upon trying to get an idea of the best way to make myself as marketable as possible.

I'm merely trying to have a few options. Would an onshore operator be as uninterested in me as you suggest even for a co-pilots position?????

I'm getting enough CPL and FI work at the moment and I'm quite happy. I've self funded the whole way and I've spent time already on the FI/CPL apprenticeship, and continue to do so. That said ultimately I need to look and plan ahead in order to keep my own flying progressing.

Camp Freddie
1st Jun 2006, 22:53
hey man,
I'm established in central UK with a family who won't move to ABZ. I'm not ruling out working there but my family always will be a strong influence.
this limits your options too much, if you stay VFR fine, but 90% of the time these are the guys who you are getting your IR for !
To me that means that any N Sea job would have to be ok with me living locally whilst I work, whilst having a home elsewhere ( Eg 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off), and wife is ok with that arrangement.
not possible at any english bases I know of i.e. blackpool, north denes, norwich, humberside, but rosters are not far of 1/2 time, you would just have to do a lot of driving.
7/7 at aberdeen possible with CHC, but 14/14 not available in aberdeen with anyone as I understand the CAA will not allow it in the FTL scheme
I'm merely trying to have a few options. Would an onshore operator be as uninterested in me as you suggest even for a co-pilots position?????
there are hardly any co-pilots jobs onshore, JCB is about your only option, but even they have been advertising for captains only lately.
problem is co-pilot only required if customer demands it (unlike north sea)
this is possible i suppose but unlikely
That said ultimately I need to look and plan ahead in order to keep my own flying progressing.
thats fine but paying for IR and ruling out north sea is very high risk, it is high risk anyway even for those who are busting to go offshore
regards
CF

Droopystop
2nd Jun 2006, 21:27
First of all, there is a 2 week on, 2 week off operation in Scatsta (Shetland Isles) so that may be of interest.

Secondly, why not ask around. Speak to a few chief pilots with companies that offer twin pilot IFR operations and see what they are looking for.

SASless
2nd Jun 2006, 22:46
I thought one had to be ex-Senior Management at Bristow to find yourself at Scatsta....isn't that like being sent off to Siberia with them for some misdeed?