PDA

View Full Version : American / Foriegn Training Schools

Pyhrrus
1st Jun 2006, 16:25
Could anyone explain the details of the advantages and more importantly disadvantages of copmleting integrated training for becoming a first officer (JAA licenced) abroad such as Naples or EFT, USA. Especially with context of aquiring a job and what differences this would make.
thanks for any help..
P

Florida mud wrestler
1st Jun 2006, 16:53
Well, essentially, it makes little difference where you do your trainng - except unless you listen to the salesmen! The biggest difference is that if you go for USA or other place with half reasonable weather, you will be a lot younger than if you muddle through with the restrictions that the UK wether puts upon you. Another advantage is that you will be financially less crippled and the finalajor advantage in training away from home is that it tends to focus your mind into training/studying hard since wasted time = wasted money in terms of living expenses.

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence of employers preferring UK trained pilots,:ugh: but, little in the way of hard evidence! Plenty of USA trained pilots join the right hand seat every year on equal pay and conditions to UK trained pilots.

Good luck! :ok:

rhovsquared
1st Jun 2006, 17:26
and we don't have to take 600 exams for the ppl:} :} :}

BillieBob
1st Jun 2006, 21:25
First things first. Phyrrus - neither of the organisations that you list offers integrated training, indeed no US based organisation does. The best that you can expect is 'structured' modular training, whatever that means.

The fact is that there are, for whatever reason, JAA airline recruiters who are biased against US (or any other non-JAA) training, they may not be many but they do exist. There are also UK airline recruiters that are biased against any non-UK training and, I assume, Dutch airline recruiters that are biased against non-Dutch training, etc. However, there are no JAA airline recruiters that are biased against JAA training, nor UK airline recruiters that are biased against UK training. Therefore, by electing to complete training in the US you may (and probably will) reduce slightly the number of JAA airlines that will consider you for employment - this may or may not be significant. On the other hand, your flight training, if completed in the US will consume slightly less cash than it would in most (but not all) of the JAA.

Florida Mud Wrestler so obviously has a vested interest in US based training that his/her opinion is totally predictable and should be considered accordingly.

rhovsquared, apart from being doubly dynamic, is clearly a complete prat with nothing sensible to contribute. You will, unfortunately, find a surprisingly large number of these in the industry - mainly working as instructors in the less reputable flight schools.

Pyhrrus
2nd Jun 2006, 23:34
thanks for the advice. And florida mud slinger....were your name to not to include the word 'Florida' i would take a more balanced interpretation of your post :) , thank you, nice to hear both sides, you raise some good points.
Seemingly the cost is the main attracting factor in the end, as much as half the costs as over here in the UK. And perhaps, it seems, the benfits of getting JAA training here rather than say USA are not immediately apparant, such as airline visits and interviews at the school as i gather in Jerez, but make transitions (whatever they may be?) easier.... ...?
Is the extra cost justified? I'm flirting with agreeing to that. Persuasions either way would be fantastic.
Cheers.
P!

Florida mud wrestler
3rd Jun 2006, 01:06
No matter what the salesmen tell you, it doesn't matter where you get your PPL - whether you bankrupt yourself in the UK or do it the easy way in the USA is entirely up to you. A JAA PPL is a JAA PPL. I would suggest that you get yourself a PPL first and then once you have decided that flying is really for you, you will be in a better position to make a balanced decision as to which route of training you are going to take.

Wazza23
4th Jun 2006, 16:27
Hi there
I am posting this thread to see if anyone would be kind enough to explain (and give any tips) to me exacty what is required to become a FI. my current job is a driving instructor and i am getting a little tired of the view, I recently had a pupil who had completed over 120 hrs flying most of which was in Florida for around £20 per/hr. Flying is something i have always been interested in but thought would be to expensive to learn, but since talking to my pupil i am looking into.

So any advice for what i may be letting myself in for would be a great help.
waz23

d2k73
4th Jun 2006, 17:24
I recently had a pupil who had completed over 120 hrs flying most of which was in Florida for around £20 per/hr

I'll take that flight school please.........

Wazza23
4th Jun 2006, 19:58
I have not yet looked into this, the pupil said he paid 30 dollers per/hr at a flying school in florida, if this is not true any information you could give me about the true price or web sites i could go to would be much appriciated.

Florida mud wrestler
4th Jun 2006, 22:52
Well, lets break it down like this:- fuel is at least $3.40 per gallon and fuel burn is a minimum of 5 gallons per hour so one hour's flying burns off $17bucks per hour. It doesn't take long to work out that 20 bucks an hour is impossible! The aircraft has to be purchased, maintained and then there is the overheads and profit! I think that if you are teaching a guy to drive who claims to have a pilots licence, then maybe he is in the land of the fairies! :p The realistic rate is around $100 per hour for the aircraft rental and then there is around 30 bucks an hour for the instructor if needed!;)

potkettleblack
5th Jun 2006, 07:23
The fact is that there are, for whatever reason, JAA airline recruiters who are biased against US (or any other non-JAA) training, they may not be many but they do exist. There are also UK airline recruiters that are biased against any non-UK training and, I assume, Dutch airline recruiters that are biased against non-Dutch training, etc. However, there are no JAA airline recruiters that are biased against JAA training, nor UK airline recruiters that are biased against UK training. Therefore, by electing to complete training in the US you may (and probably will) reduce slightly the number of JAA airlines that will consider you for employment - this may or may not be significant. On the other hand, your flight training, if completed in the US will consume slightly less cash than it would in most (but not all) of the JAA.

Sound advice IMHO. In the past week I have been really lucky to have been passed mobile numbers for two pilots working over here. One was on TP's and the other flying 737's. Both said that as far as their airlines were concerned when they selected low houred people they wanted them to have trained at Cabair, Oxford, Jerez, PAT, Bristol or Airways.

Continuity of training was also considered vital. They didn't want to see a multi rating here, a CPL rating there and an IR done somewhere else with a cheap MCC thrown in for good measure to tick the box. In the case of PPL training they didn't give a stuff.