PDA

View Full Version : A nice B-29 video

con-pilot
31st May 2006, 19:36
Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7OG8ta_Kw8

pigboat
31st May 2006, 21:27
Nice! Thanks cp. Is that aircraft still based in Midland?

It's sad they weren't successful with the recovery of Kee Bird (www.aycsnetwork.com/keebirdb-29/usairpowerjournelwebsite.htm). I met the recovery crew a couple of times. They used to stage through here with the Caribou support aircraft.

BossEyed
31st May 2006, 21:30
Enjoy

I did, very much, thank you. :ok:

Perfect soundtrack, too - music and engines :8

MEON VALLEY FLYER
1st Jun 2006, 07:05
:ooh: your actually telling me someone took a 50 year old bomber that was sitting on the ice all those years. hund some fresh engines and props on it and wanted to fly it back across open sea to the USA.

The term 'death wish' springs to mind (am I the only one thinking that)

Reminds me of that program about the guys who recovered a lightning (yank piston twin, not the superior british interceptor) from the ice. Apart from the fact they actually bankrupted themselves and wrecked their marriages doing it ?. There was the part when they removed the .50 cal canons from it then set them up on the ice, with the 50 year old ammo and let of a few against some oil drums. So they lived and it looked 'cool' to a numb viewer. But was probably 50/50 on a nice big breach explosion and with piles of brain matter all over.

or is it just the cold air in these parts tends to freeze vital parts of the brain ??

LowNSlow
1st Jun 2006, 10:29
MVF they would probably have been successful if they had secured the petrol powered generator set properly. Then it wouldn't have fallen over and burnt the B-29 out. :{

kluge
3rd Jun 2006, 12:52
Beautiful - I read that 'Fifi' is due to make an appearance at this year's EAA convention in Oshkosh.

An insipiration that such aircraft can be kept airworthy in the US and a shame that the Vulcan in the UK is under threat.