PDA

View Full Version : How to make CG calculations on FP exam?

acuba 290
31st May 2006, 16:23
I just trying now to get right results with CRP, but it very unprecise...
As i understand, no calculator permitted? But, how to get exactly results? Just on paper? Is it not prohibited?

Superpilot
1st Jun 2006, 14:31
Calculator was allowed last time I checked. Unless I have misunderstood you?

acuba 290
1st Jun 2006, 14:38
Calculator was allowed last time I checked. Unless I have misunderstood you?

yes, thats the thing...I asked at school where i would like to make my exams, and they said, that no calculators.I can not find any information at CAA webpage about calculators permitted or not...

mcgoo
1st Jun 2006, 14:39
I don't think you are allowed calculators for PPL exams, I know I wasn't anyway!

Lister Noble
1st Jun 2006, 15:12
I finished all my PPL ground exams in last nine months and I was not allowed a calulator for any of them.
I did use one for the C of G calcs for my flight skills test,how can you multiply by hundreds and thousands.eg 288 x 84.9 or 87.69 x 1488 and get a valid answer with a whizz wheel?
Lister:)

acuba 290
1st Jun 2006, 15:24
I finished all my PPL ground exams in last nine months and I was not allowed a calulator for any of them.
I did use one for the C of G calcs for my flight skills test,how can you multiply by hundreds and thousands.eg 288 x 84.9 or 87.69 x 1488 and get a valid answer with a whizz wheel?

yes, that's exactly what i am asking! as i see in Confuser or AFE book there is questions, where i can't start with CRP, because exactly kind of such numbers...So how it will be made in real exam? Is it permitted to heve a paper with pencil?

Lister Noble
1st Jun 2006, 15:27
In the exam I ended up doing the maths longhand on a scrap of paper!
Lister:ugh:

Mike Cross
1st Jun 2006, 23:24
The back of a CRP is simply a slide rule, which in turn is simply a device for adding logarithms. What do you think Barnes Wallis used?

Lister Noble
2nd Jun 2006, 06:53
Mike,
I'm not knocking the whizz wheel,which I think is brilliant!
One of the instructors is a professional pilot and he says he still uses it for most things.

I realise it's a circular slide rule,great for nav calcs on the wind side,and great for most other stuff on the calc side but I don't know how to use it for accurate calcs with large numbers or several places of decimal points.
I will ask the CFI about large number calcs when I'm next there,as I can't see how to work them from the instructions.