PDA

View Full Version : ££££ After the fATPL

Batfink58
31st May 2006, 12:52
Hope someone can help with this?

My question is directed at you guys who have done the hard work and have obtained your fATPL :D . Tried search but not many results on my specific question.

Anyway, I was wondering.....After obtaining your fATPL I expect that the next step is to get some quality hours flying turboprops, instructing, air taxi etc etc. If you don't mind me asking, what were you guys earning during the initial years before you landed your golden job with a reputable company operating jets?

This info will really help me out, so any inputs will be most appreciated.:ok:

Thanks

no sponsor
31st May 2006, 21:26
Qualified 12 months ago now, and still havent got to securing even a single interview, let alone a job.

On the other hand, a few who I trained with: 2 went to Ryanair and are now doing their type ratings, 2 are flying for BACX, 1 went to fly turboprops at Aer Arran, 1 is waiting on BACX to start a TR, 1 stuffed up a TR course and got booted out at a jet operator. All apart from the 1 waiting on BACX knew folks in these companies.

Air taxi is a no-hoper unless you have 700TT (to fly single pilot IR).

Instructing is the one cheap way to build hrs though. But you need an alternative income to live on.

It's easy to get a job if you get into CTC. OATS seems to open doors too. Don't underestimate the need for contacts and the networking your school can do for you.

sicky
31st May 2006, 22:03
Getting contacts is also hard work though

balhambob
1st Jun 2006, 00:08
No sponser - who did you train with?

Am very interested to hear info of how people got qualified even though you are still looking for elusive first berak?

christopherrigby
1st Jun 2006, 06:45
In answer to your question, Air Taxi work on average pays around £18.00 per hour, not always that many hours though. Expect around 15-20 per week max. Instruction work pays around £10.00 per hour for an FI(R) and £12.00-£15.00 per hour when unrestricted. Some schools also pay a retainer which is normally around £20.00 per day. If you end up luck enough to move onto a Turbo Prop, like me you will probably end up offering your time for free.

If you have the facilities and the capabilities, it is not a bad idea to set up a business to provide income to cover the standard living costs giving you the flexibility to fly whenever work is available. This way has worked well for me.

But then you never know. Go for it, take the chance and you may just walk straight into a job. It does happen.

Good luck.

marsman
1st Jun 2006, 06:58
People must not work for free. Those who do are ruining the rest of the industry for the people who need to support families etc.

A320rider
1st Jun 2006, 17:02
ur right marsman,
I need some idiots to clean my house during summer.the rent is 2000 pounds a month, and there is the paint to do, and roof to clean.I will keep you very busy...
you will get experience...you can book now, hurry up.places are limited.
if you are a good boy and if your daddy is rich and stupid enough to make you a pilot, we can place you on the B737 for only 105$+VAT/Hour.min 300 hours required. we have a special offer for type rating for only 35'000 euro.
please, PM for more info.(do not forget to send by paypal 50euro if you want an answer ).:}

ONEWORLD_86
5th Jun 2006, 12:12
2000 pounds pcm!!!! is that sterling?

Just an idea, but why not start your own flight school A320rider, then you can earn back a bit of cash whilst geting the experience you so obviously crave! and you would have a job!!!

Just an idea.:cool:

raviolis
5th Jun 2006, 15:21
disagree with the work for free issue.

Prefer cleaning toilets for £ 7 an hour or fly jets or TP for free ?

I know my answer. What's yours ?

Everyone must take chances to achieve a lifetime ambition of the job you dream of.
Musicians and artists perform for free or even pay to play at the venues that will give them exposure and possibilities of good professional contacts.
Young engineers work long hours and underpaid for top companies where they can do research and development instead of a good pay to answer the phone 9 to 5 (I've met some young Ferrari technicians and they said they have to lowest wages in the business.)

Perhaps true that Training Organizations and employers take advantage of this supply and demand situation, and exploit it by making you pay for your ratings and/or work for free. But it's the same in every business, from the petrol we buy, to mobile phones contracts and so on. Are they offering us fair deals ? I don't think so.
Be stronger to ride the wave or give up and drown !

regards