PDA

View Full Version : Why so many prunes on pprune?

Delta Uniform
31st May 2006, 10:21
Can anyone explain why there are so many smug, pompous, know alls that reply to threads in this forum and is it representative of all forums on this site. Also, is it represenative of the type of people that work in the aviation industry?.
I’m just interested to know why there’s almost always someone who gets on their high horse and gives a smart remark to an innocent enquiry for information.

Whirlygig
31st May 2006, 10:51
That's because many of the people on this forum are pilots!! :D ;) :p

I don't believe it's representative of all the forums on this site and I don't believe that it's representative of this forum.

In all walks of life, you will encounter people who get up your nose and who rub you up the wrong way. How you deal with these people is up to you.

Secondly, there are quite a few newcomers who post questions on this (and other forums) without searching for themselves. When you've been around a while and you see the same question come up time and again, it is difficult not to let a little tetchiness out!

We all do this for fun and I have noticed that some posters expect to be spoonfed with answers. If one can't search for oneself, then how is one going to get through APTLs!?

I'm not directing the above at you as I don't know what your particular beef is but please understand that the way you get treated often depends on the way you ask your question!

Cheers

Whirls

potkettleblack
31st May 2006, 11:45
Welcome to the world of aviation. I have never ceased to be amazed how many smug C152 captains I have come across at flight schools. Then there is the god like complex typically associated with the younger instructors. They are the ones that have a whole 150 hours more than you. Just smile, don't rock the boat and move on is my philosophy. Remember this is a small industry and they will get whats coming to them one day.

And don't worry its not only aviation though. I have come across this god complex on various other non aviation related forums. I guess a pyschologist would have a field day explaining small mans/girls syndrome and how they can get away with being so rude when hidden behind a pc at home.

Delta Uniform
31st May 2006, 11:46
personally I don't have a beef...was just interested to know why people find it easy to be rude in responses to genuine queries. I guess the same people are harmless when you meet them face to face but feel they can say what they like when they respond from a computer terminal.

AerocatS2A
31st May 2006, 11:52
My personal belief is that it is because it is an internet forum, not because it is populated by pilots. Spend a bit of time on enough internet forums and you realise that there is a high percentage of idiots, and a low signal to noise ratio. PPRuNe is actually pretty good overall.

Whirlygig
31st May 2006, 11:53
was just interested to know why people find it easy to be rude in responses to genuine queries

As I said, it is probably because the query has been asked so many times before and may even be in a sticky!

However, you'll be relieved to know that I do not write anything here that I wouldn't say to your face!

It's funny really - I very rarely come across these rude people - maybe it's a perception of how the written word is interpreted, maybe I'm thicker-skinned and just deal with it or maybe everyone is too scared of me to say anything rude. :ok:

If you feel that someone has been unnecessarily rude to you, then why not send them a Private Message and ask why and explain why you were offended but otherwise it's hard to generalise without knowing to what you are referring.

Cheers

Whirls

DB6
31st May 2006, 11:54
It's called life. At least you tend to get coherent replies though - just think what you would get on the Vauxhall Corsa Modifier's Forum :eek: .

Mercenary Pilot
31st May 2006, 12:39
That's because many of the people on this forum are pilots

Or at least think they are hehehe:}

potkettleblack
Spot on, but in my expirence Its the ones with a chip on their shoulder because they never made it (due no doubt to thier ****ty attitudes) :ok:

As for PPRuNe, its a general internet thing. Forums on any website are full of misunderstandings, misinformation and general bull****. However, the more you use a site the more you get to know peoples usernames so you can start to tell who talks sense and who is a sad little oddball sitting with a mouse in one hand and something else in the other. Just ignore it or laugh at it(which I do alot)

king rooney
31st May 2006, 12:43
The simple answer is because its an anonymous forum. there fore people can speak their mind/ act like dicks/ wind people up with no come back.

willby
31st May 2006, 19:07
Hi Delta Uniform,
Have to agree with your observations. I have been browsing the forums for a few years now, actually since my son commenced flight training about three years ago. In the beginning I posted regurlarly but rarley now due to the rudeness etc. of some respondents.
There is one forum however where you will always be treated with respect and offered lots of helpful advice and that is on the "Computer and Internet" forum.
Best Regards
Willby

EC Does It
1st Jun 2006, 12:56
Welcome to the world of aviation. I have never ceased to be amazed how many smug C152 captains I have come across at flight schools. Then there is the god like complex typically associated with the younger instructors. They are the ones that have a whole 150 hours more than you. Just smile, don't rock the boat and move on is my philosophy. Remember this is a small industry and they will get whats coming to them one day.
And don't worry its not only aviation though. I have come across this god complex on various other non aviation related forums. I guess a pyschologist would have a field day explaining small mans/girls syndrome and how they can get away with being so rude when hidden behind a pc at home.

One of the best pieces of advice i was ever given was that flying is like buying a house, only substitute the words "location,location,location" for "safety,safety,safety"

The second was that the most dangerous times to be flying are when you are newly qualified and think you know it all and when you are a 1000 hr pilot and are sure you know it all.

Remember the old adage "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are NO old,bold pilots"