PDA

View Full Version : Valley - But which Sqn?

1sttoorist
29th May 2006, 20:22
This is my first post on this site, just looking for some advice. With the threat of a ground job coming up, I volunteered for a QFI job at Valley. How do they decide which Sqn you go to? Which is best? I expect the flying will be better on 19 but do you get enough? 208,
Dull flying but plenty?

What's the effect of QTI/QPI going to be on QFI's? Are 19 all going to be QTI's?

Not going for a while yet though.

Thanks in advance, lots of q's I know.

1sttoorist.

Greenleader
29th May 2006, 20:37
Ask for 19 without doubt! There is an element of luck in where you go tho'. The 2 Sqn Bosses decide between themselves, and it is a case of bums on seats. Flying on 19 much better, but you get a lot more hours on 208. 300 to 350 the norm, but 460 achieved in '04 by one 208 QFI!! Good people on both, barring the odd kn:mad:ber - can't think who I mean!!? :}

15thManofTain
29th May 2006, 21:37
19 gets my vote. Unless you want to spend your time getting involved with trimming and triv. Not sure 208 is a happy place either.

Flt Lt Spry
29th May 2006, 21:48
Go for the ground tour mate. It cannot be any worse than living in Anglesey, surely? Mind you, if you have kids, it's better than bringing them up in Scotland.

27mm
30th May 2006, 08:16
Amen to that, Flt Lt Spry - ask the Hawk Sim guys there why they're short of 3 bods....By the way, I'm sure I knew your Dad, Wg Cdr Spry....

Greenleader
30th May 2006, 19:16
Beg to differ with the previous 2 posts! Don't knock it if you haven't tried it! Ground tour only if you absolutely have to - depends how much of a thruster you are, and you can always thrust in a flying job as well! Flying is, after all, the main reason I (and I reckon the majority of people if they're honest) joined up. As to life on Anglesey, I had an awesome time there. Good people and good on base social, great location if you like the big outdoors, surfing, windsurfing, kite boarding, mountain climbing, mountain biking to name a few things you can get your teeth into.

If, however, your idea of fun is commuting to the big smoke to pay too much for a beer, then don't go to Anglesey.

BEagle
30th May 2006, 19:58
What is wrong with life at Valley these days? I mean, there's now even a decent dual carriageway off the island if you really need to get away....

I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, both as a Gnat student at AFTS, then when I did my pre-Brawdy Hunter refresher and again a few years later when I did a pre-Chivenor :{ Hawk course. The QFIs were a great bunch and seemed to have no complaints - even if it took at least 90 minutes to get to the road to England the other side of Bangor!

Friendly mess, the Dragon Room (ahh - Mary's legs!), the Sandymount on Sundays, Mr Folland's Pocket Rocket to fly.....them were 't days!

Mind you, Brawdy was even better!

Wipe your eyes, kids, Valley is a brilliant place to be!

Flt Lt Spry
30th May 2006, 22:25
...unless you have a wife who would like to get a job locally. Well, my wife cannot get a job anyway (but that's cos she's thick and can't even speak Welsh).

But on the plus side, you could rename the kids Tobnof and Myfanwy and hope that their fingers start webbing together so that they can blend in.

Kitbag
30th May 2006, 22:33
[quote=Flt Lt Spry...hope that their fingers start webbing together so that they can blend in.[/quote]
Thought that was East Anglia:p

Jobza Guddun
31st May 2006, 00:01
Thought that was East Anglia:p

Nah, they've evolved.

They have big ears and 6 fingers these days.....

Scribbly dee
1st Jun 2006, 19:42
...unless you have a wife who would like to get a job locally. Well, my wife cannot get a job anyway (but that's cos she's thick and can't even speak Welsh).

But on the plus side, you could rename the kids Tobnof and Myfanwy and hope that their fingers start webbing together so that they can blend in.

Valley's not bad compared to pouring battery acid in your eyes but it's a close call.

Didn't see any 6 finger banjo players but got plenty of that special North Wales hospitality....I always like being greeted at the checkout with 'What' and that slate grey stare they do so well.

Also managed to pick up few words of Welsh like .....'that'll be a pound then look you now'.... and ......that'll be two pound then look you now' ...... and so on. Aparrently if you call everyone Boyo or Blodwin then you'll get on just fine. Give it a try you'll be surprised.....!!

Hummingfrog
1st Jun 2006, 20:44
If your going to Valley I thought that the only "proper" squadron:ok: you could go to was 22Sqn;)

HF

odserver
1st Jun 2006, 21:53
My advice is not to go near 208 if you can avoid it, that (once great) Squadron probably has the lowest morale in the Airforce. Im now a civi but have semi regular contact. Such an aweful waste; it is there that the future of the RAF will train. Glad I'm out.:(

ExRAFAC
1st Jun 2006, 23:13
So are we chum...so are we

Time Flies
3rd Jun 2006, 12:53
My advice is not to go near 208 if you can avoid it, that (once great) Squadron probably has the lowest morale in the Airforce

And why is this then? :confused:

antipodean alligator
3rd Jun 2006, 19:41
Friendly mess, the Dragon Room (ahh - Mary's legs!)!

They are probably less appealing these days Beags!

19(F) Anytime I reckon....At least you get to fly EV trips and have a tenous link to life on a proper SQN!

Flt Lt Spry
4th Jun 2006, 00:33
My advice is not to go near 208 if you can avoid it, that (once great) Squadron probably has the lowest morale in the Airforce. Im now a civi but have semi regular contact. Such an aweful waste; it is there that the future of the RAF will train. Glad I'm out

What do you do now then apart from survey morale on all of the RAF squadrons? I bet they're just sad because you aren't there any more...

Aerodramatics(UK)
15th Jun 2006, 12:28
19(F) gets the 128 first... Xbox online cockpit... :ok: ...but not 'til 2008. :ugh: