PDA

View Full Version : Hawk bang seat weight limit

squeaker
28th May 2006, 18:45
Hi all
A friend is in the process of arranging a trip in a Hawk for me, but being a fat b@st@rd I'm concerned about the ejector seat weight limit.
What is it, please? I'm 5'10" and 15 st 8lb.
I know its a bit much but I've had a good life!

Sven Sixtoo
28th May 2006, 19:25
A large Army officer (on the FAC course famil trip in 1990) was once denied a trip, not because he was overweight, but because the thigh straps weren't long enough!

So weight may not be the sole limiting factor.

Sven

airborne_artist
28th May 2006, 19:57
218 lbs and 5'10" = BMI 31.3 so computer says No, and btw, lay off the pies :ok:

Zoom
28th May 2006, 21:17
240lb fully kitted out, I seem to remember.

Good thing the Gnats aren't still about as you wouldn't have had a hope of getting in - or out again by any method!

heights good
28th May 2006, 22:55
Please tell me they dont work on a BMI to assess whether or not your suitable to fly?

FEWNCOP
29th May 2006, 05:25
No, BMI does not come into it - I seem to remember that the book says 110kg in all of your kit so you should be OK. Enjoy your trip!!!

DKP1
29th May 2006, 06:54
110kg is right for the GR7 Seat......

good job its the summer, no chance of being under with cold weather clothing etc....

maxburner
29th May 2006, 08:53
I seem to remember a 93Kg nude weight limit. So we're talking 200 lbs or so. I would have thought that you were well over the limit.

Elmlea
29th May 2006, 13:37
The little adjuster that you set your kitted weight on to adjust the rocket angle goes up to something like 125kgs, I seem to remember.

zero/zero
29th May 2006, 14:10
The RAF requires boarding weight (including kit) that will provide zero speed/zero height escape. For the Hawk, that limit is 120kg, meaning the cut off for a pax trip is 108kg by the time you include all the kit.

mike rondot
29th May 2006, 18:53
"A friend is in the process of arranging a trip in a Hawk for me,"
Who is your friend? Can he fix one for me too? Can I go instead if you are too heavy? I am able to travel at short notice....

airborne_artist
29th May 2006, 20:18
And if Mike can't make it I certainly can - 12 st 0 lbs and 6' 0", I havn't been on the pies :ok:

Zoom
29th May 2006, 21:48
Hello Mike, how's the painting going? You are certainly well within said weight limits - at least you were when I last saw you 35 years ago!

ARINC
29th May 2006, 22:13
I seem to remember MB Mk10 seats having a weight adjustment mechanism ??

RICKO
30th May 2006, 16:39
Hi Squeaker
Fingers crossed for you for a trip.
If you want one of these -
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/SPEC%20INST/C+2.jpg
or one of these -
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/SPEC%20INST/C+6.jpg
Drop me a line, i took these for a mate who also got a ride.
Cheers Richard.

Flap62
30th May 2006, 16:59
"A friend is in the process of arranging a trip for me"!!

Frankly, I'm amazed. Most fat wheezy boys that I've ever seen haven't got mates that would wee on them if they were on fire, let alone organise FJ trips!

Suggest you lose the imaginary friend you lazy fat knacker and pop down the gym!

squeaker
31st May 2006, 09:08
Ta for the info guys, it seems I may have to lay off the pies for a bit, but what will I use to soak up the beer?
If the limit is 108kg in kit, how much does the kit weigh? Assuming I won't need an immersion suit in the summer months, so does that give me a bit of leeway? I imagine the suit weighs in at about 5kg alone.
Great pics BTW, Ricko. I hope this comes off (could apply to the trip and the beer gut).
Cheers! (raises glass of water..)

Wyler
31st May 2006, 12:22
C'mon man, spit it out. Say what you mean FFS.

:} :} :} :}

FEWNCOP
2nd Jun 2006, 21:12
Sqeeker,

Trust me, from one pie eating fella to another, you'll be fine with the weight limit - I was during my hawk flying days. 110kg in kit was the limit, and yes in summer months you don't need an immersion suit. Just LSJ and G-Suit. Never mind all these slim jims, you get there and enjoy your trip.

Runaway Gun
2nd Jun 2006, 21:56
You might even lose a few stone during the flight anyway :yuk:

Best of luck !!

squeaker
5th Jun 2006, 15:28
Thanks again for all the replies, I am encouraged by talk of the 110kg limit, and also it seems my scales overread by 8lbs!! I expect I will lose a bit more on the trip, so I blagged half a dozen sick bags from my aeroplane today, just in case!

NorthernSID
5th Jun 2006, 19:42
There's also a height limit, or more specifically a sitting thigh length limit

Given your weight is large, you're probably a big bloke

I'm 6' 3" = 1m90 and only had 5mm clearance [kneecaps v instrument panel], so make sure you're measured before you go

Take a camera, but don't spend all you time with your head in the viewfinder

I've 800 hours in the back as a Nav & it was brilliant!

Enjoy your trip

jumpseater
5th Jun 2006, 20:09
'Take a camera, but don't spend all you time with your head in the viewfinder'
NorthernSID is right! I got a trip in a flying eye in pants wx and was taking ground pics. I spent a lot of time eye in the viewfinder, result severe headache for day and a half and sea sickness feeling too :oh: . Didn't puke though, which was nice.....:rolleyes:

lindslow
5th Jun 2006, 22:18
It's definately 110 max - That's as far as the Pitch control unit dial goes.
I've got one in my collection (sad eh!!).

Tim McLelland
9th Jun 2006, 23:47
I have two Hawk trips scheduled for next week, so I'll check the weight limit if I can and keep you posted. I'm more worried about having the sniffles right now:)

The height thing can be a problem that's for sure; I remember sitting on a doc's table at Binbrook while he determined that I had 9mm leg clearance for a Lightning. They never make cockpits a decent size...