PDA

View Full Version : Last 'Flyable' Bristol 170 Mk.31?

thetexpat
27th May 2006, 23:17
This may be the last opportunity to obtain one of these aircraft and fly her back home to England!
Right now, on eBay (where else?), is the former Hawkair aircraft that used to fly out of Terrace, BC, Canada.
Currently it is located at the Reynolds - Alberta Aviation Museum in Wetaskiwin, Alberta and the owner (via the bank) has to sell!
At the moment it is not flyable, though it last flew in early September 2004, the owner is asking USD125,000.00 (buy it now price).
I hope that the British Historic aviation community can 'rescue' this aircraft before somebody buys it 'because it looks cute' (you all know what I mean!?)!
The eBay shortcut is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1952-Bristol-Freighter-Type-170-Series-31-Aircraft_W0QQitemZ4644370646QQcategoryZ63678QQrdZ1QQcmdZView Item
What are the chances Ppruners'???
Cheers
Thetexpat

Brian Abraham
28th May 2006, 01:51
Shortcut didnt work for me but recent news has it that C-GYQS had been subject to a deal (signed) between owner and a group from Bristol with intent to park it next to Concorde display at Filton. BBC was to make a doco of its return trip to Blighty. Has this fallen through?

thetexpat
28th May 2006, 13:41
Hi Brian,
Per the eBay listing "The aircraft was operated commercially by Hawkair in Terrrace, BC until 1999 and then parked until it's final flight in early September of 2004. It now sits at the Reynolds - Alberta Aviation Museum on loan and is for sale to the highest bidder by order of the bank.
It sounds as if the return to Blighty may have stumbled!
BTW, the shortcut worked ok for me!
Cheers
thetexpat

thetexpat
2nd Jun 2006, 10:07
Things get curiouser and curiouser!
The eBay listing for the aircraft has been withdrawn!
Any ideas?
T

Bert Stiles
2nd Jun 2006, 11:20
Shortcuts are very apt for the B170.

IIRC Many of the frames were broken up at Southend in the 60s by a concern glorying in the name of Shortcut Aviation...... I like that name.

BS.

ImageGear
2nd Jun 2006, 13:40
A number of 170's with the clam shell doors were parked next to the Locking Rd hedge at Locking in 1969, twas my first up close and personal with a living, breathing hairyplane.

But the smell,:ooh: I think they were used for Horse transports before being dumped. Still, they had props to go with their wings and wheels, more than could be said for the Sedburgh T21B I thrashed around the circuit, and coaxed along the ridge.

:ok:

Imagegear.