PDA

View Full Version : Visa for training in America

Wanna-be
26th May 2006, 14:48
Hi,

I want to become a helicopter pilot and I figgerd out that the best place for training is the US. But there are only 3 school or so, which can give a Visa. Isn't it possible to get a Visa on your own via the American emabsy, so you can train at every school, also the schools that can't give a visa?

Thanks!

rudestuff
26th May 2006, 19:11
US visa rules are incredibly complicated - needless to say theres always a way if you have a US family member/Employer/lots of money. Your best bet is to go to a school that gives out J1 visas - or else try to get Cuban Citizenship, then buy a small boat and go north...

B Sousa
26th May 2006, 23:53
12 Million Mexicans cant be wrong, come on across the Southern Border......Its pretty obvious by now that the Government only stops those who do it legally........

R22DRIVER
27th May 2006, 04:00
If your coming to the US you need to be quick as very soon they are a stopping you coming out on a J1 visa and working as a CFI. Thats going to make it almost impossible for foreigners to work in the US unless you get a green card or get married!!!

:ok:

whirlydude
27th May 2006, 11:26
12 Million Mexicans cant be wrong, come on across the Southern Border......Its pretty obvious by now that the Government only stops those who do it legally........
So true ? Does anybody know when they will axe the J1 visas porgram .

TheFlyingSquirrel
27th May 2006, 13:36
If your coming to the US you need to be quick as very soon they are a stopping you coming out on a J1 visa and working as a CFI. Thats going to make it almost impossible for foreigners to work in the US unless you get a green card or get married!!!
:ok:

Where did you learn of this driver ?

FairWeatherFlyer
29th May 2006, 11:51
Isn't it possible to get a Visa on your own via the American emabsy, so you can train at every school, also the schools that can't give a visa?
Visa's are linked to the organisation, i've had L1 and M1 and the application process is tied into the company you are going to. I can't remember much about the process (apart from humorous questions about things like clans on the DS 157 form), but US embassy has a good web site with details. I note HAI has J1 approval so this seems to imply schools have to be approved. Nowadays there's also a TSA vetting process to go through too, something to research. I believe visas are quota'd per 12 month period per country so that's worth checking. Trivia - watch out for poor air conditioning in embassy during summer, and be prepared for an expeditious premium rate 'phone call to book appointment.
The more important question is about career choice. Aviation has heavy up front investment costs, some degree of dropout, a dependence on continuous good medical health, long apprenticeship (hour building), variable employment benefits. The plus side is flying on a sunny day, but you can don't need to be a professional to do that.
The J-1 approach (from my limited understanding) requires full commitment. The aim is to qualify as early as possible so as to use the remaining visa time for any P1-time-increasing employment you can find.

B Sousa
29th May 2006, 13:14
"The J-1 approach (from my limited understanding) requires full commitment. The aim is to qualify as early as possible so as to use the remaining visa time for any P1-time-increasing employment you can find. "

An important and useful point. I have seen a few go through my company that walked in the door as low time Robbie Warriors and go home after a few months (upon expiration of their VISA) with a couple hundred or more hours in the A-Star/EC-130. Since they did the right thing on the VISA, they left the door open for returns without problem.

Wanna-be
29th May 2006, 20:05
" I have seen a few go through my company that walked in the door as low time Robbie Warriors and go home after a few months (upon expiration of their VISA) with a couple hundred or more hours in the A-Star/EC-130. Since they did the right thing on the VISA, they left the door open for returns without problem.

What do you mean with low time Robbies? people just finished their training with 15-200 hrs, if so, how is it possible that a company let those lowtimers work on EC-130 and A-star???? Never seen a job where they accepted lowtimers on helicopters other than R22 and Schweizer types. I thought only flightschools want lowtime pilots to work for them.

Thanks for all your replys!!!

tangovictor
29th May 2006, 23:09
I know it may be less expensive to learn to fly in the US, however, why go to a country to learn that doesn't really want you there !
take a look at the US's own, web site, the Green Card lottery, UK citizens are BARRED from applying, although we are fighting alongside each other, although, 1000's of UK people buy holiday homes in the US, and spend millions in the US. Great way to treat people America, NOT

paco
30th May 2006, 00:58
Yes, but the Brits also have a high proportion of overstayers - source: wife's ex who was quite high up in immigration.

Is the J1 the visa that allows you to receive "training" on on the job? International internships I think they're called.

Phil

B Sousa
30th May 2006, 01:49
"with 15-200 hrs, if so, how is it possible that a company let those lowtimers work on EC-130 and A-star???? "

Should have clarified that. ALL have done instructing to bring themselves up to at least 1000 hours and still have time left on the VISA. Enough to get a couple or three good months in the Grand Canyon. Hard work gets them about 100 hours a month turbine time and some spending money.....

thecontroller
30th May 2006, 02:27
this is all done in 'secret'. if the school that 'endorses' the individuals J1 visa found out, there would be trouble. the J1 visa is for flight instruction only.

R22DRIVER
30th May 2006, 04:35
I was informed of the J1 visa change by our admin lady here at the school, She is responsible for all of our international students and she has been informed by the government. She is normally pretty clued up on visas so im pretty sure its true.

It will be a damn shame if they do acually do this as most of our school is made up of foreigners and i think the US will lose a hell of alot of revenue from this.

The J1 is linked to the school you train at. All you can work as is a CFI if that is what you train for. You cannot do CFI and then work as P2 on a commercial job. If you get a CFI job with another school your original school is still responsible for you in the US and they need to be informed of where you are incase the government check up on you.

Yes you also have to register with the TSA. An extra $100 thankyou very much!. The J1 is only valid for 2 years and then you have to leave if you are not married. To get the J1 you need to show to the US embassy when you go for your interview, you have a place enrolled in the school ( form DS2019 ), you need to have the funds for your full training and living expenses in place and have proof ( Ie bank statement ), Proof of money to cover 2 years of health insurance ( $ 1600 ), TSA fee paid receipt.

If you are missing any of these at your interview you will not be issued a visa.

Its a lengthy process but easy to get through if you research what you need to do. Your prospective school should be able to guide you through the process.

Its well worth it and ive never missed miserable england once!

R22

KikoLobo
30th May 2006, 05:30
A student visa its tough but no big deal. If you want to work in the US thats another story

To study in the us you don't only need a visa, you need TSA background checks..

you need to talk to your school, they will work on your visa and you will go to the internet to the TSA website to fill your information and upload your passport copy and stuff.. Then you send a request to your school (thru the website) and then the school will accept you thru an e-mail they will get.. Then you will need to paty around 100 bucks or more. then you will get instructions via e-mail and an authroization to submit fingerprints, you will then go to an authorized finger print station, they will make your prints and submited, once they get your prints, they will send an e-mail to your school allowing them to start training (temporarly) and after a while they will authorized you fully... Now this is for TSA and not for the STUDENT VISA..

And this is only for a certain category of training which usually includes small helicopters and planes.. If you want boeng training that's another story... there are actually 3 categories for which you can apply.

I hope this helps!

I am Mexican, and i trained in the states but i work in Mexico... This is the place to work, we have over 100 US ships working here, and for that you don't need a US visa you only need an FAA License to fly N helicopters.

HillerBee
30th May 2006, 06:35
Getting a J-1 visa through HAI, isn't though at all. When you enroll and have the money etc. After you send in the application forms, they send you your DS2019 to take the US Consulate. (By Fedex, within 2 days)

You can just go to the US Consulate in Amsterdam (call first), show your passport, give them your fingerprints and pay. They don't interview you at all. The whole thing took me 1 hour, with wife and 3 children. They keep your passport to put the visa in and the Fedex it to you in a couple of days.

If you enter the US, immigration might interview you. (at least that's what they say). Again we we're done without any questions in 15 min. (just waiting for a stamp)

The whole process is a piece of cake. (HAI and Netherlands) I don't say it's the same anywhere else.

Cyclic Hotline
31st May 2006, 01:50
State Department Proposes to Change Foreign Flight Training Rules

Posted on Tuesday, May 09 @ 10:19:26 Eastern Daylight Time By News Staff

Helicopter Association International (HAI) members are strongly encouraged to submit comments to the U.S. Department of State and to contact their elected officials in Washington, D.C. over proposed changes for training and internship programs (J-1 visas). This is an issue that directly impacts the availability of flight training in the United States. International HAI members that utilize U.S. helicopter flight training facilities under the J-1 program are encouraged to familiarize themselves with this critically important issue.

The Department of State published a Proposed Rule for Training and Internship Programs (J-1 Visa) (22 CFR Part 62.22) in the Federal Register on Friday, April 7, 2006, (Volume 71, Number 67, Pages 17768-17774). This proposal would revise foreign flight training program regulations. These revisions will, among other things, eliminate the distinction between “non-specialty occupations”' and “specialty occupations.”

At the present time, foreign students who are in the United States for flight training at FAA approved flight schools are permitted a two-year visa, which equates to one year of flight training and one additional year of work experience allowing students to build flight hours and practical experience before they return to their country. Many of these students serve as flight instructors during the second phase of their training. The proposed change would only allow for an 18-month visa, allowing one month of additional flight training for each four months of classroom training.

This change will unduly burden the rotorcraft industry by adding to the shortage of helicopter flight instructors. Industry is benefiting from the work authorization allowed under current J-1 visa regulations due to the chronic shortage of helicopter pilots and the need to replace aging pilots in the rotorcraft industry.

Foreign students who come to the United States for helicopter flight training are carefully screened with background checks, fingerprinting, and suitability for flight training. This change in rules will create serious economic harm to the few schools that are approved for helicopter flight training and who offer flight training to foreign students. The FAA approved flight training available in the U.S. helps contribute to aviation safety abroad when students return to their country.

The Department of State will accept comments on the proposed regulation from the public up until June 6, 2006. Send comments to United States Department of State, Office of Exchange Coordination and Designation Private Sector Programs Division ECA/EC/PS - SA-44, Room 734, 301 4th Street SW, Washington, D.C. 20547, telephone: 202-203-5096, fax: 202-203-5087.

HAI members should also contact their elected Members of Congress in the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives to express their concern over this proposed change. Contact information is available at www.house.gov and www.senate.gov.

HAI would like to hear from our members on any statistics you have compiled under the J-1 program, such as the number of flight hours and the number of former students. Please contact Ann Carroll, Director of Legislative Affairs, at [email protected].

B Sousa
31st May 2006, 03:09
Reducing things to 18 months is going to be hard for most to get a little experience before they go home. I certainly dont feel they are hurting the U.S. Pilot market with two years. Besides all I have met were good honest working folks, unlike a lot of those crossing the border.. Note I said unllike a lot, not all.
Anyway the U.S. Government works pretty much under a motto, that "if anyone can screw things up, we can ....and it will cost you more when we do." Shortened to "If it Works, We will Fix it."

R22DRIVER
31st May 2006, 20:27
I know if this comes into force the school im at would probably close as 80% of its students are on the J1 and are looking to stay for the duration!

Government Bo~#oc$& as usual!

R22

rotorboy
1st Jun 2006, 14:50
Its about time.
These J1 factory schools have driven up the cost of training.
Driven down the wage for flight instructors.
Flooded the market with low time pilots who will work for less , only to return to their own countrys and good jobs.
Technically the pilots you hear of going to the gulf/ the canyon/ or Alaska are breaking the law. The J1 states you can only work where you trained to gain professional experience. Us operators turn a blind eye.
I wouldnt have a problem with it, but there is no reciprocity in other countrys. US immgration has been a one way street for too long. Lets make it a fair playing field.
KL: I dont know If I would call Mexico " The Place to Work". The work in Mexcio is not low time pilot work by any strech. I have found it both challenging and rewarding flying. You must have a FM-3 visa, work for a US Company, and fly N reg machines, and be paid by the US Company. As a forigner you can not get a Mexican Pilots lic , fly X reg, or work/ be paid by a Mexican operator.
Rotorboy

Wanna-be
1st Jun 2006, 18:23
Rotorboy,

of course why schould you care, you allready have a license but people for countries where a pilot training is unafordable and with no job-prospectives for a job with 150 - 200 hrs.

Anyone knows when they want to start those changes?

R22DRIVER
1st Jun 2006, 19:48
Rotor boy,

Take your head out of your arse and stop being a dick!

If it wasnt for schools like this many pilots would not be able to fulfil their dream.

Its not my fault that the JAA system is so expensive and a load of crap. I for one am going through the J1 visa myself and im loving it. Ive met some great pilots and the change of scenery is out of this world.

I bet you have never even been to one of the said schools and seen the quality of training they produce.

Just because you are fortunate enough to be able to fly in a land with so many opportunities, dont go hammering on people who are not as fortunate as you.

Beleive me if i could have done it back home, i would. Would you like to pay double for ALL of your training!!! I dont think so.

So if you have nothing good to say go back to your gloomy little corner and take this:ok: and stick it back where the sun dont shine!

R22

Simon853
1st Jun 2006, 22:50
Anyone have any idea how many J1 helicopter pilots there at any one time in the US? Am I right in thinking that HAI is the only J1 certified helicopter training establishment in the US, (or are they the only one that also does a CAA certified course?) If yes then how many J1 grads do they release each year, compared to all the other native US CPL-IRs throughout the nation? My point is that is the (possible) end of the J1 scheme really going to do much to raise US instructor rates when there's still going to be a lot of home-grown new instructors out there hungry for their first job?

Hopefully if there are any changes it wouldn't go so far as to stop people paying to train in the US, merely to stop them working afterwards. So the J1 schools should still be able to benefit from the comparative low cost to JAR-land both for training and subsequent hour building.

Si

R22DRIVER
2nd Jun 2006, 00:04
Simon,

The M1 visa is already in place. That allows you to train but not to work. Alot of schools are able to offer the M1. There are only 2 schools at the moment that are credited to offer the J1.

They are both exceptional and have very high standards and i know if the J1 is altered they will both suffer as a result.

Controller,

Please could you PM me. I tried to send you a message but you are not enabled. There is something i wish to talk to you about.

R22

Patrick Corr
2nd Jun 2006, 08:26
On Wednesday (May 31, 2006) there was a meeting in Washington between the Director of the J-1 Program and the representatives of the currently approved J-1 flight schools. The Helicopter Association, AOPA and NATA were instrumental in getting this meeting arranged and they were all represented there too. To cut a long story short the J-1 program as we currently know it is safe and will continue. The Program Director wants it to be moved from the US Department of State to the Dept of Homeland Security. He acknowledged that it is an excellent program that has caused them little or no problems but he feels that DHS should be the oversight agency for all flight training visas. He tried to move the program last year but got little cooperation from DHS, not because they don't want it but because they were too busy to handle the transfer process.
Over the next few months the flight schools and the trade organizations will work together to have the program moved to DHS. The HAI and AOPA representatives expressed confidence that this can be achieved and the J-1 Program Director pledged his full support for the process. He also guaranteed that providing the schools make a genuine effort to acomplish this transfer he will continue to let the program run in its current form through his department.
What this all means for current students on J-1 visas, or those who are likely to take training in 2006, is that they will see no changes whatsoever. At some point in the next 12 months (my guess would be around Jan 2007) the program will move to DHS and be given a new name but will continue to have the benefits that it has now.
Other issues raised above:
To work on a J-1 you must be doing flight instruction. I dont think anyone cares about an occasional photo flight or sightseeing tour but working fulltime as a tour pilot is not allowed. I know that my school (HAI) and Hillsboro make this very clear to J-1 participants and we have taken action to prevent pilots from violating the rule when we knew about it. We would not risk our designations so that someone can get a couple of hundred hours of turbine time. In every group however there will be someone who tries to push the limits. However, don't jump to conclusions about someone's visa status - they may be married to an American or have found some other way to remain legally in the US.
For those who think "the factory schools" are flooding the market bear in mind that there are only two J-1 approved schools and we are both limited to a maximum number of J-1 visas. At HAI our limit is 100 per year and I think Hillsboro is lower and they do fixed-wing training too. When you take into account the fact that some students don't finish for all sorts of reasons, and some find work at home without having to work as a CFI here first, the total number of pilots being added to the pool on an annual basis is probably about 100 and they all run out of visa time after approximately a year. Considering the growth in the helicopter industry and the number of older pilots retiring this revolving group of 100 beginner pilots is not making any impact on the overall career prospects of American pilots. In fact it's a good thing that they are there to provide the instruction when a young American decides to become a helicopter pilot. There is a "factory school" trying to flood the market right now but it is not a J-1 approved school and the owner boasts that he does not accept foreign trainees or fly foreign made helicopters. He charges $72,000 for what HAI or Hillsboro provide for about $50k so perhaps Rotorboy should talk to him about running up training costs and flooding the market (they boast that they have 2000+ students currently enrolled).
Those who have a problem with the J-1 program are really going to come unglued if/when President Bush gets his way and the Guest Worker Visa Program is passed. It will apply to helicopter pilots and it will make it possible for US companies to hire foreigners. That should create a new dilemma for some Rotorheads - both the US supporters and the foreign detractors of our Pres.
Finally, the reason the UK does not qualify for the visa lottery is because all countries that get more than 50,000 immigrant visas for the US annually are excluded. I guess the theory is that you guys are already doing quite well.
Anyone who would like more info on the above is welcome to call me or email at [email protected]
PC

IntheTin
2nd Jun 2006, 23:33
Patrick.
Thank you for clearing that up.
I came into this country on a J-1 and after 14 months am now employed as a flight instructor. I am grateful that I can teach here in this country thanks to the J-1. Its far more affordable to do the training here than the UK as well as the regulations being far more flexible.

Shame you feel so bitter Rotorboy!!! :ouch:

Torquetalk
9th Jun 2006, 19:22
50k is a conservative estimate for training costs to include Commercial, IR, and CFI: Base qualifications for most new pilots to get a first job in the US. If you are studious &/or talented &/or lucky and do it in minimums, maybe you'll only spend 50k. Most people I have encountered have spent more. A budget based on things going other than seamlessly may be more realistic and save nasty surprises and stress.

A phrase seldom heard: "My training cost me much less than I had imagined"

TT

Wanna-be
13th Jun 2006, 09:31
Is this possible?:
A non-american student trains on a M-1 in the US. He does not get hired as an instructor by the school he trained on (which can extend the visa) after he finished his program. He goes home and is looking for a job by the internet for a CFI(I) position and get hired.

question: Is it possible that when you apply for a job but you don't have a visa, that your employer will issue one. Or is this not likely?

Orlcoola
13th Jun 2006, 10:16
Having just done some flight training in the US this is what happens. Firstly the flight school must have approval to train a foreign pilot. They send you a form which has all their numbers/approvals on it. You then go to the closest US consulate and apply for an M-1 visa. This isa student visa and has stringent requirements. The various US government consulates have their own websites. Read through all the stuff very carefully. You then book a visa interview. You need to have done evryhting required on the website before you go. Prepare for a 6 to 8 week wait while they process your visa. At the end of this time they will email you and get you to send your passport for the visa to be put in it....and then you can go. Don't book your flights until you have the visa and they won't "speed things up" if you have a booking. While in the US you must attend 22 hrs per week of which only 7 hours can be supervised private study.....so be prepared before you go. There are only 12 places outside the US you can do the theory exams and if you don't live near one you will have to do them there. But is an intersting place to learn.

thecontroller
13th Jun 2006, 11:17
employers dont issue visas, governments do

you can only apply for a visa from outside the country

employers will not look at a CFI who has not got a work visa, and they are very unlikely to help you get one, as it costs them time/money. theres lots of CFIs they can choose from

Wanna-be
13th Jun 2006, 15:52
Can I conclude that when you have to go back home with american license and 200 hrs after a M-1 visa, that you have a problem?

Wanna-be
13th Jun 2006, 18:03
mm, a M-1 visa is for people who are not carreer minded or for people who want to take a huge risk. That sucks, because the US have only 2 schools where you can get a J-1, not so many options :{

FairWeatherFlyer
14th Jun 2006, 20:33
That sucks, because the US have only 2 schools where you can get a J-1, not so many options :{

Perhaps the E visa is what you're really looking for. The you can make 2 be 3. :rolleyes:

platinumpure
14th Jun 2006, 21:40
Lets face it Wanna be. As a non American coming to the US to become a helicopter pilot, you are taking a huge risk. However that being said. I don't know of anyone who did the same thing, (and I know quite a few) and are not flying now somewhere in the world.

I came here originally on a M Visa. However, I got married to an American girl after that VISA ended and started working here, been here ever since and still happily married. There are various different types of ways to stay here if you are smart/have enough money. The other way is to get the spoke about J Visa.

Flingwing207
15th Jun 2006, 01:46
I will say flat out - the US of A is the easiest place to get work as an non-citizen. Period. Legally or illegally. So if it seems unfair...

Rotorbee
15th Jun 2006, 08:39
The State Departement will not kill the J1 VISA, just make it impossible to get one. Found on AOPA:
AOPA objects to State Department foreign pilot training rules
U.S. State Department officials just don't understand flight training. And because they don't, they're writing regulations that could put nine flight schools out of business. AOPA is trying to stop that.
The nine flight schools specialize in training foreign students. The State Department wants to change the rules for the Exchange Visitor Program and J-1 visas, and those changes would make it next to impossible for foreign students to complete training that would allow them to get flying jobs in their own countries.
"The State Department blatantly disregarded the devastating economic consequences to flight schools and improperly certified that the proposal would not have a significant impact," said Melissa Rudinger, AOPA vice president of regulatory affairs. "They didn't even talk to the schools involved."
AOPA filed an objection to the proposed changes, pointing out that unlike other foreign students, flight students have to pass security checks by the Transportation Security Administration. While there have been abuses of the Exchange Visitor Program, AOPA pointed out that none of the problems cited in government reports were related to flight training programs. And because foreign flight students are subjected to so many security checks, the "Department of State's security concerns...are unfounded and lack merit."
The State Department demonstrated its lack of knowledge about flight training by proposing to require that flight students have three years of work experience as pilots.
"That would defeat the purpose of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program," AOPA said in its filing. "If foreign nationals already had three years of pilot experience, they would not need to come to the United States for flight training because they would more than likely already have pilot jobs in their home countries."
June 8, 2006

Rushes
15th Jun 2006, 10:13
wanna-be,

My only suggestion is that whichever route you end up taking for your training, dont get distracted.

I flew in the states and had a fantastic time, worked hard and played hard..... but met some that got distracted and just played hard..... and that didn't pay off career wise for them!

Big_Buddha36
17th Jun 2006, 16:07
Hi,

I'm currently in Florida under a J1 visa - this is my experience:

if you're doing anything other than private licence (ie cpl, IR etc), you'll need a J1 - private is done under an M1 visa

these need to be issued by a US school

they will be your SPONSOR for the visa app

once you have that paperwork (they'll need definitie dates from you to complete this

you'll need to apply to the us embassy for an interview - you'll need to demonstrate sufficient funds for the duration

also, you need to register and get approval from the TSA before any training can start

and there's is also another agency you need to register for as a student-exchange - this again is yet another application fee

(embassy, student exchange, security clearance - 3 in total)

Security (TSA) will involve: 1) the course being pre-approved by them
2) background checks on you & your family
3) fingerprinting - this can be done in a police station when you arrive - else you'll pay a lot to get that done in the uk

once this has been approved, then you can start - no training is legally possible without pre-approval

the J1 is a 1-hit affair - once approved & you enter the US, the clock ticks - it's not cumulative based on your actual time in the usa (key if you go home for your atpls - get the ppl done on a M1, dont just jump into the j1) - hence you do the private on M1, go away (proabably) to do your ATPL's & then return on the j1 to finish. J1 will allow you to get payment (if the course includes instructor) - J1 holders can bring wife/kids in on a j2 (can attend schools, can also apply for work permit) - m1 in NO work.

expect every step to have a fee attached. TSA has just changed the rules so they now expect pre-approval (extra application= extra fee) for each step - 1 for ppl, 1 for IR, 1 for CPL

if there is any further details i can help with, let me know & i'll dig out the real details of each step, but hopefully this will give you a basic idea.

si

Wanna-be
17th Jun 2006, 17:43
hey,

I think I want to do PPL and IR on M-1 and then decide with that school wether they want to hire me after I completed the training (then they arrange an H-3 visa for me), if not, Ill go to a J-1 school to do CPL CFI and CFII. A helicopter flightschool owner at Hawaii told me that this is a good route, but I emailed to HAI and and asked wether this is possible but they answered this:

If you obtain flight training on an M-1 visa the Department of State rules say that that person is no longer eligible for a J-1 visa and your application could be denied at the US Embassy.

Which school is right? Sometimes I have the idea that schools make things up, so someone will chose for them.

Thanks!!

thecontroller
17th Jun 2006, 18:13
Mmm.. HAI do not like people doing the M1 then J1 route. but... i know people who did it and as far as i know it's legal.

a cynical person might say a J1 school would prefer people to be on the J1 visa so they have a clock ticking above their heads and hence they dont make too many waves about how long their training is taking, because they want to get hired by the school. plus if the student wants to transfer to another school, the original J1 school can revoke the J1 visa status

the J1 scheme is a licence to print money for heli schools in the USA. a constant flow of students as there are only two J1 heli schools.

HillerBee
17th Jun 2006, 19:01
I know people who where denied a J-1 visa, when they tried to follow this route.

The school applying for an H-3 (B) visa is BS. If you'd do your training up to CFI on an M-1, you don't have work experience and for an H visa they need to prove they can't find any suitable US citizen.

These promises are made a lot but after the school made it's money, it's just "Sorry"

The only way to go is the right way, either HAI or Hillsboro on a J-1 giving you 24 months to get it done. Shortcuts aren't worth the trouble and risk.

thecontroller
17th Jun 2006, 19:39
i agree. no employer would go through the hassle and expense of an h3 visa just for a low-time CFI. sounds like BS from the flight school looking for business

Wanna-be
17th Jun 2006, 19:51
Are you sure? I emailed some of their students who are currently working on a H-3 visa, issued by the school at Hawaii

The students had to see a lawyer for paperwork and getting the visa

thecontroller
17th Jun 2006, 20:35
ok, i stand corrected. maybe they have trouble getting CFIs to move to Hawaii. who knows.

HillerBee
17th Jun 2006, 21:38
You are NOT allowed to work on a H-3 visa, it's a trainee visa.

Interesting document.
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/admindec3/d5/2004/apr2604_01d5101.pdf

As said before, there are no shortcuts.

Wanna-be
17th Jun 2006, 22:10
so the school is lying or hires instructors illegaly:confused:

thecontroller
17th Jun 2006, 23:05
i think it depends on how the school words the visa application support letter. attorneys can advise on the right things to say to make it look like the CFI is "training" not "working"

HillerBee
17th Jun 2006, 23:05
Welcome to Aviation.

MercenaryAli
18th Jun 2006, 02:05
If I were a non English speaking uneducated individual with an IQ of 7 from the Third World I am sure I would be afforded a great welcome into the USA. As a white male hetrosexual Christian who has a sister who is a naturalised United States Citizen I am not even permitted to enter the Green Card Lottery! How much bxllshxt is that?

HillerBee
18th Jun 2006, 07:58
Every civilised country has Immigration procedures in place, and there is not a lot of difference between the major countries in this World. The US is absolutely not the worst. Everyone who meets the requirements will get a Visa. If you have a Master's degree or higher there's absolutely no problem getting a visa.

MercenaryAli
18th Jun 2006, 19:10
You got not only the wrong end of the stick but the wrong stick! I love the USA - my point was - we in the UK are the nearest closest and oldest ally of the USA and linked most closely by natural lineage over many centuries. This being the case why are UK citizens not even permitted to enter the Green Card Lottery? Pretty simple question!

murdock
19th Jun 2006, 00:00
Wow!! This thread with a simple question sure turned into a mess of a situation. Sometimes I think people reply to a previous post without even reading the entire thread.
Anyways, as usual we can see the people who talk sense and know what they are talking about, and of course the clueless ones and people just trying to stir up ****!
Wanna Be - you are making way too much of a big deal out of all this as far as trying to make a decision. I have been helping and offering advice to people ever since I got into flying a few years ago, so I will try to keep this simple.
But before I go ahead, MercenaryAli, Patrick already answered your question about why the British are not allowed into the Green Card Lottery. So stop whining! If you researched your informatino properly you would discover that you can apply for residency in the USA based upon your sisters status in the country. Who cares how closely linked by lineage you are to a country based on ancestry. You go far enough back you will find we are all closely linked by lineage - all depends on how far back you go!
So back to the main thread. Wanna Be - you are European. you have a few options in becoming a pilot. Joing the military or pay for it yourself. You have opted to par for it yourself. Now. next step, decide where you want to go to school in the world - there are many places and some cheaper than the U.S. and you can mix them up a bit too if you wanted. However, you have stated that the U.S. is what you reckon is the best place. So, quit mucking around and trying to play with the visa system and just go do it. Yes there are lots of visas you can get. With the way the USA is right now the more you want to play with the system the more it will bite you and you will lose!! People have gone to HAI on an M1 to get their PPL to test the waters. Then they have returned and finished everything else under the J1. If you are sure this is what you want and you have the money behind you then go and get it all done under the J1. If you arent sure if this is what you want, I would reconsider the whole thing as it will most likely not work out for you if you do it half assed!
Now that you know you want to go to school under a J1 pick one of two schools. Research pprune and you will find all the info you need about both of these schools and make a decision!
The next step is simple. Go to school, pay for your training and work hard for it, and enjoy yourself at the same time. Key point, if you aint enjoying it, perhaps it wasnt meant for you.
Now some reality points:

You will not get hired by an American company as a CFI outside of the U.S. without a work permit.
Its a great time for our industry. You will get hired as a CFI with your J1 visa - and you do not have to work for the school you trained at. However, as previously stated, you are only allowed to work as flight instructor under the J1 program. You will not get hired as a CFI if you expect a job to fall into your lap. Get off your ass, network and apply yourself. Most American Helicopter schools like to hire foreign CFI's. Why? Because they work hard! (well the majority of them, not all of them!) You will most likely have about a year to work after your training, which means getting as many hours as you can in that year. So you will work 7 days a week if needs be to get those hours. Whereas Americans have thye luxury of not having to bust themeslves due to not having a time restriction.
In order to get a H1 visa (being sponsored by an American company) you need to have a college education. i.e. a minimum of a degree. Now that being said, the U.S. has only a certain amount of H1 visas available every year and they go fast, as they are for the whole country and the IT industry eats them up fast as they dont have enough skilled locals to do IT jobs, etc. Also the chances of you getting sponsored as a pilot in the U.S. are quite slim. Dont rely on the idea of it.
Budget for at least 200 hours of flying! Why? Because of insurance mins for Robinsons. You will find out more about this later.
Decide what you want out of this industry and start to think about how you are going to go about getting it all or getting to your goal. And be realistic!

Well I actually have to finish this off for now. Gotta run! That should do you for now. And you should be able to figure out what people are talking sense and who is talking crap. Good luck!