PDA

View Full Version : Converting Headsets to ANR

Cricket23
26th May 2006, 12:23
Hi,

I have an Avcom headset and was wondering about the feasibility and cost of converting them to ANR.

Does anybody know whether this is possible and the cost.

Also, is it worth it?

Thanks and regards,

C23

18greens
26th May 2006, 14:01
Is it worth it? How much will you pay to get your hearing back in 20 years time. Seriously, I get headaches flying without an ANC headset, they reduce fatigue, make radio recerption clearer, the list goes on. I wish I had bought mine earlier.

Talk to Adams at Biggin. They do DC conversion sets and they fit them for you too. (About 100-200 quid)

The other option is to buy a shiny new one and keep the avcom for passengers. Planes are noisy things, get the best you can afford.

Remeber, if your ears ring you have permanently damaged them.

Mark 1
26th May 2006, 15:58
I did a headsets inc. conversion to a DC several years ago, and its still working fine - about £120 I think and a couple of hours of my (not particularly skilled) time.

If they have DC shaped ear cups, the standard kit should work.

The battery box wasn't very clever with mine. You could make something neater and more robust quite easily.

BigEndBob
26th May 2006, 17:56
Maplin electronics are currently selling an anr headset £30, for portable players,etc...is it possible to rip the electronics out of these and fit into say a dave clark?

BlueRobin
27th May 2006, 12:20
Unless you know your electricals and have the time, Richard Holder [email protected] will do it for you. £160 plus £10p&p fitted and +£10 if you want the battery saver fitted. Richard system is an adaptation of the Headsets Inc system. The battery box for example is smaller, neater abd comes with a handy clip.

Yes its a lot of money but as I found out yesterday when I forgot to turn the ANR on, it is very difficult to hear radio transmissions. QHH whaaat?

You may wish to consider your base headset unit before conversion should you end up having the procedure done twice. The only thing I would ask first is, are you happy with your Avcomms? I found they clamped my head more than my DCs and after a few hours, my bonce was fatigued.

mad_jock
27th May 2006, 13:12
i would Flog your old pair and get a new ANR headset.

They really do make a differences. I think the problem is that the extra electronics you need to fit into the cup removes some of the padding which means even more noise when the bat goes. Which it always does just as you start the approach and have no chance to change it.

And if you don't mind could I highjack the thread with a question.

The rechargable bat are all 8.3 or something volts which seems to be slightly to low for the DC ANR. There is a noticable difference between running on duracels and rechargable.

Is there anyway round this?

BTW I have nothing to do with this company apart from as a customer but i have found them pretty quick for delivering and no hassels

http://www.battery-force.co.uk/show_Cheap_Batteries.html

18greens
27th May 2006, 21:06
Flog your old pair and get a new ANR headset.

Agree with that!!

There is a noticable difference between running on duracels and rechargable.
Is there anyway round this?

I use rechargable 170mah batteries in my 13.4X and they seem OK. They don't last long, only a few hours before the warbling starts but enough for a days flying (certainly not the 20 hours DC claims). Have you got the auto-off microswitch set to save the battery when not plugged in (if you forget and leave it switched on)? Fantastic headset though.

mad_jock
28th May 2006, 09:40
Yes i do have the auto thing set.

I know its strange and maybe only a perception thing but the headset works better ANRing with normal bats in. I can only presume that the 8.3-8.4 volts is to low for the electronics. Now I have reverted back to duracels I get 30-40 hours out of one depending on the volume I drive it at. That online shop I use it works out at just under £2.50 a pop. So it costs about 80 quid a year in bats for me. So if i can find a rechargable solution that

A. the headset works as well as with the duracels
B. lasts more than 5 hours

It would be great

eyeinthesky
28th May 2006, 16:43
I ordered the DC conversion kit from Adams Aviation at Biggin for my 13.4. Excellent! I wouldn't fly without it now, and the distraction and fatigue levels are much lower when you push the switch and it all goes quiet!

I don't know for definite the battery lasts (Duracell Ultra 9v), but think it is about 15-20 flying hours. Make sure you disconnect the headset from the battery box when you put it in your flying bag and then if the switch comes on it won't be trying to cancel the noise in your bag!

coodem
28th May 2006, 16:45
What about using Lithium polymer batteries? They are small, light and are rechargable? They cost a bit more than regular batteries and you will require an appropriate charger. each cell is 3.7V, so the closest would be 11.1V, If this is too much, you can easily get hold of 9.6V regulators.

I suggest to try a model shop, as most transmitters are 9.6V. And a lot of people are moving over to lipo's

A 11.1V battery pack weighs around 35g has a capacity of around 480mAh, and can be found for around £20. A charger will cost around the same.

Keef
28th May 2006, 19:53
I had Richard Holder mod my DC 13.4s many years ago, and I reckon it's excellent. I've tried some of the expensive "ANR" headsets, and I like mine better.

The conversion (and most ANRs) are designed to run with 9 volts, and NiCd or NiMH batteries don't provide enough volts for the system to work properly. Buy a box of PP9s from ComDir, and keep them in your flying bag.

mad_jock
28th May 2006, 22:12
Do you think that a 9.6V rechargable will work?
Will a 7% over voltage harm it

http://www.mahaenergy.co.uk/acatalog/rechargable.html

Powerex MH-AA96V200 - 9V battery

200mah does seem quite small

The duracells are 550mah and give say 20 hours.

So it will give you 7-8 hours.

coodem
28th May 2006, 22:54
You won't have a problem. As a normal non rechargable 9V battery is a little more than 9 volt, but will be around 9V under a bit of load.

Now normal rechargables are about 8.4V under load, and about9V with no load

Most devices should have an operating voltage range. Might be an idea to check what that is. Im guessing it is between 7.5 and 12

Cricket23
30th May 2006, 12:21
Thanks for all the advice/opinion.

My Avcomm's are nice and comfortable, but what started the question was that I was flying with a mate last week who was wearing a Sennheiser headset (I think) and I had to get the tower to repeat a couple of the calls, but he heard them perfectly.So it got me wondering.

I spoke to Adams today at Biggin. They can either send you the kit, or they'll do it for you.

So, I'll try the Adams route first and probably pick up another pair of headsets when I'm out in the States next year.

Cheers,

C23.

DubTrub
30th May 2006, 12:57
A brief note on your spare PP9-type batteries in the flight case:

Keep them in a little zip-loc bag (or similar). A short across the terminals in flight can really ruin your day.

Keef
30th May 2006, 18:25
A short across the terminals in flight can really ruin your day.
Oh yes! But quality Procells from ComDir come with a little rubber cap on each battery to prevent that happening. They also last substantially longer than standard Duracells.

mad_jock
31st May 2006, 18:27
I emailed DC and there customer services have confirmed that the ANR moduals are happy up to 12V and start melting at 15Volts.

Now if these nice people who do the ANR upgrades can produce a DC rechargable bat pack of 9-12 volts with an internal charging circuit which takes a car charger or any other 14V dc supply with about 600MAh or more capacity. I for one would be interested.

18greens
31st May 2006, 19:58
Mad Jock,

Did DC confirm the ANR is inhibited or less efficient with less than 9v?

mad_jock
31st May 2006, 21:02
I didn't ask to be honest.

The lower the voltage the higher current required for a set volume. And as the ANR works best with max volume on the headset controls.... Hence the bat will get drained even quicker and won't give the same max output.
And I also presume that below a certain voltage the electrons stop jumping in the semiconductors which stops the op-amps and inverters working so the ANR stops working.

I suspect coodem and keef know far more about the workings of these things than I do. It would be interesting to know if the output of the Internal powered ANR connection is 12V and if there is a noticable difference between them and bat powered models.