PDA

View Full Version : What's the big deal with 90th Anniversaries?

threepointonefour
25th May 2006, 19:03
What's the big deal? Why not just wait for the 100th?

Incidentally, here's perhaps one that warrants 'celebrating'!

http://www.ypres-1917.com/

__

Flatus Veteranus
25th May 2006, 19:08
Wot, me??? I may not be around then!

SASless
25th May 2006, 19:13
Timely topic with our Memorial Day weekend coming up in a couple of days.

Followed the link.....just two of the many cemeteries hold 21000 graves.

Reminds one of the scale of the carnage experienced by the soldiers of that time.

Pontius Navigator
25th May 2006, 19:39
As well as FV not being around, will there be anyone serving then?

UAVs controlled by JPA, managed by EDS.

Washington_Irving
25th May 2006, 19:42
What's the big deal? Why not just wait for the 100th?

Incidentally, here's perhaps one that warrants celebrating!

http://www.ypres-1917.com/

__

It means you get you have a bloody big p1ss-up. Do you need a better reason? God forbid that the Sqn has an attack of morale. (If you must, think of it as a dress rehersal for the 100th.)

Not entirely sure 300,000 casualties sustained as part of an utterly pointless war is something to "celebrate". I can't imagine a good night on the lash being the most appropriate way of recognising and remembering the fallen.

threepointonefour
25th May 2006, 20:04
It means you get you have a bloody big p1ss-up. Do you need a better reason?

What kind of unit do you come from where you need a reason?

Not entirely sure 300,000 casualties sustained as part of an utterly pointless war is something to "celebrate"

So the German army marching into France was not very relevant to European stability?

Incidentally, I've drunk to a number of 'departed' colleagues in memory. But you missed my point - why not put the effort into a memorial of the major sacrifices instead of ALL these big 90th dos?

Maple 01
25th May 2006, 21:23
If you mean why are Squadrons so keen to celebrate 90th Anniversaries’ it might be that they fear they won't make it to 100!

Beeayeate
25th May 2006, 23:39
It means you can paint the tail fins with appropriate and/or garish graphics without having to explain to the beancounters where all the extra paint has gone.

:hmm:

BEagle
26th May 2006, 07:57
The premier tanker squadron's 70th anniversary was a 2 day affair with an air display, static display of various aircraft (one of everything we refuelled, plus Canberra and Vulcan as ex-sqn types), an all-ranks dining-in night in the Officers' Mess (including an extra £500 worth of port....). Commemorative First Day Covers plus glassware were produced; I have 2 Irish coffee glasses engraved with the squadron standard and the 70th anniversary dates

The 75th anniversary didn't have a flying display, the static display was of sqn activities only plus bouncy castles and historic cars, but there was an aircraft available for families to look round. And the sqn management hadn't quite managed to get the dates right, so it was held in the 76th anniversary year. We had an all-ranks dinner but it was in the Gateway as the Stn Cdr wouldn't allow it to be held in the Officers' Mess. Special commemorative glassware was produced, I have 4 whisky tumblers engraved with the squadron badge and the 75th anniversary dates.

The 80th anniversary had neither flying nor static display, the all-ranks dinner was held in a tent behind the guardroom as the Gateway was too expensive. The sqn history room was opened up to visitors; no commemorative items were produced.

It was decided that there wouldn't be an 85th, the next will be the 90th next year. It will probably be a pay as you dine affair in the local MacDonalds - served by ex-navigators.

But the common factor will be that the sqn will still be flying the ageing Vickers FunBus!

Washington_Irving
26th May 2006, 08:00
What kind of unit do you come from where you need a reason?

So the German army marching into France was not very relevant to European stability?

Incidentally, I've drunk to a number of 'departed' colleagues in memory. But you missed my point - why not put the effort into a memorial of the major sacrifices instead of ALL these big 90th dos?

As have 99.9% of the rest of us, sadly. However, I would argue that there is a vast qualitative difference.

Overlooking the point that history may not have been your strong suit at school (I can recommend some excellent books on the origins of WW I if you want), I'd like to suggest that instead of a mess and/or hangar full of people staring into their drinks, trying to get their heads around what sustaining casualties on that scale (570,000 on both sides btw) fighting for a few acres of marsh would be like, it might be a better idea to celebrate something (anything) that we can be happy about. Personally, I don't see it as anything as a pointless, bloody waste of human life in a war that could have been avoided. That it should be remembered is certain, but it should be commemorated appropriately- as has been the case through cenotaphs throughout the country, Remembrance Day parades, museums and some astounding momuments (not to mention the cemetaries) that dot the European landscape- but to try and glorify industrial scale carnage for such little gain is bordering on obscene and I dare say that if you had a grasp of the history of the battle, you'd feel the same way .

Now, on the other hand, if you can demonstrate that air power played some ground-breaking or pivotal role at Passchendaele (similar to the deployment of tanks at Cambrai- another failed offensive) then you might have some claim to relevance of the Royal Air Force 'celebrating' it.

God knows that from you have posted here, it would seem like you could do with some cheering up.

Door Slider
26th May 2006, 08:43
Are you saying all the VE and VJ day 'celebrations' were a shameful waste of
time too??

Should the RAF also stop 'celebrating' the Battle of Britain everyear too then?
The navy with Trafalgar? and the army whatever they choose to drink too?

Its easy to read a book years after the event and say what did it achieve other than killling millions of people!

threepointonefour
26th May 2006, 09:25
but to try and glorify industrial scale carnage for such little gain is bordering on obscene and I dare say that if you had a grasp of the history of the battle, you'd feel the same way.

How arrogant to assume what I do and do not have a grasp of from one short comment. Incidentally, I have a full grasp of all the WWI battles you mention and have not just read Faulks' 'Birdsong'.

Why waste money and energy on utterly pointless 90th Anniversaries when it would be better spent on Anniversaries which warrant the effort? You'd think that pointless wars had not happened since from your comments - like WWI was the last one - I can only think of one which qualifies as having a 'point'.

If we actually remembered the pointless wars a bit more often, than pointlessly remembering an arbitrary year anniversary, then perhaps the pointless wars might stop.

God knows that from you have posted here, it would seem like you could do with some cheering up.

Not in the least. Like I said, you misunderstood my original sentiment, perhaps because I misused the word 'celebrate'.

It seems we're drifting from my point - I guess my question really should have been, "What are we all going to do next year for the 91st?"

WASALOADIE
26th May 2006, 11:36
a. A chance for previous serving sqn members to get together and reflect, whilst they still can.
b. They can pass on thier experiences and knowledge to current sqn members so that the sqns history lives on.
c. A Damn good excuse for a party.

Looking at 60Sqn history, they have celebrated every 10 years since WWII so why stop now? You can bet, if we are still around, the 100th will be a great event.

rafloo
26th May 2006, 15:50
Will there be an RAF in 10 years or will Clo Tim have got his way?

wokawoka
26th May 2006, 18:52
Most of the veterans who have contributed to the history of the sqn, and I mean the real important one. Where acts of courage were displayed by the hundreds daily in the second world war will not be around in 10 years time. Most of them are 80 already and a lot of them who survived WW2 have died already. It's obvious. What's the big issue with a piss up for a 90th. Tell you what just to wind you up we will have a 100th. However they may not be as many around to tell a good story of courage, valour and gallantry.

Tata.