PDA

View Full Version : Odd SN Brussels advertisement

Cyrano
25th May 2006, 14:03
Maybe it's just me :rolleyes: but...

SN Brussels have had two things to announce in the last few days: an expansion of their African long-haul network, and a new long-haul business class seat.

One could perhaps imagine some possible visual images for advertising these two innovations: a passenger relaxing in a business class seat in the middle of the colourful market in Bamako, for example, or a Photoshopped lion sitting comfortably in a business class seat in the middle of the Kenyan savannah.

However the advertising agency obviously had another idea: here (http://web.brusselsairlines.com/africa/?lang=3) (Flash player required).

Now the connotations of this picture are all wrong to me. The subtext seems to be "the plane disintegrated in mid-air, this seat fell to earth, the lions have polished off the poor passenger and are now tucking into his seat." :eek:

Or am I missing some subtlety here? :confused:

Pax Vobiscum
25th May 2006, 16:56
Yes Cyrano - the ways of the boys in red braces are truly mysterious! I notice that SAA are now promoting themselves as "voted the Best Airline Based in Africa in the OAG 2006", which would seem to boil down to: "Fly South African, we're better than EgyptAir!"

PAXboy
25th May 2006, 19:58
Thanks Cyrano. I needed something to cheer me up after an irritating day. I just cannot imagine what the picture is meant to demonstrate or convey. These seats are so comfortable that, even after falling from 36,000 feet - you will still be neatly tucked into the chair, ready for the lions.

The 'new' seat looks like the VS J-type (or was it called the 2000?) from a few years ago but I always found that comfortable.

masalaairlines
26th May 2006, 10:51
I love the way it even says "What's on the menu?" over the tallest lion!! :D

EI-CFC
26th May 2006, 11:00
That is just too bizarre...

XSBaggage
27th May 2006, 14:07
Actually in an internet cafe in a far corner of the globe trying to contain my chuckling! Fantastic. What were they thinking?!?!?!:confused:

XSB

Techman
27th May 2006, 15:19
Don't know what is odd about it? It is obviously the old seat the lions are chewing on. They've dumped the old seats and introduced new. Pretty self explanatory I should think.

XSBaggage
28th May 2006, 02:31
It looks very similar to the new seat though. Are you sure? Anyway it made me laugh and your logical explanation disappoints me. I was happier in my ignorance!!!!!
;)
XSB

EI-CFC
28th May 2006, 14:16
Don't know what is odd about it? It is obviously the old seat the lions are chewing on. They've dumped the old seats and introduced new. Pretty self explanatory I should think.

Not very enviromentally friendly of SN then, is it ;)

apaddyinuk
29th May 2006, 00:23
For a second I thought it was the old seat being thrown to the Lions but I dont think it is on closer inspection!

Cyrano
29th May 2006, 12:37
Techman:
To be honest your explanation hadn't occurred to me. It's the same colour upholstery as the old seat, it looks like a generic business class seat - but you are absolutely right. I looked at the SN site again (link above) and found that under "campaign" they tell the story of how they took the pictures (shipped an old seat to South Africa, put it in a cage, covered it in meat and then let some lions loose!).
But even knowing what it represents, I still find it rather an odd image. I'm a frequent long-haul business class traveller, but not on SN, so I didn't spot the difference in seats. How many people glancing at that picture are going to notice the difference and put 2 and 2 together?
Maybe I'm just a bit slow... :ooh:

Final 3 Greens
29th May 2006, 12:39
Maybe I'm just a bit slow...

I don't think that you have the problem ;)

The people who thought of this one need certifying.

The SSK
29th May 2006, 12:48
of coming up with odd ads
http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en/Images/HP_tcm31-8045.jpg

Techman
31st May 2006, 19:14
Don't know much about SN Brussels, but perhaps they are just looking for customers who actually stop and think for more thank a second, before passing judgement. Just a thought.

Anyway, I got the ad instantly. Perhaps I am the exception.

XSBaggage
1st Jun 2006, 01:46
But Techman can anyone afford to be picky about pax in these tough times??!
The point is adverts should grab you straight away, and even if it is the old seat surely the sign of aircraft seats lying in the middle of the savannah suggests something else. But maybe the fact it got us all talking about it is a sign of its success. I for one would certainly fly with their business class if I had a choice now just for the laugh:)

XSB