PDA

View Full Version : Medical renewal in a different JAA country

FAA fit / JAR unfit
25th May 2006, 12:12
Does anybody knows if a JAA 1st class medical certificate
can be renewed with any AME (aero medical examiner) at any JAA country without any local CAA formality?
Has anybody gone threw this process?
For example, an initial full 1st. Class Medical Certificate first issued at UK Gatwick AMC (Aero Medical Center) and renewed with Dr. Smith (AME) at Germany or Spain or etc..
Regards,

mutt
26th May 2006, 14:17
I normally have mine renewed in Saudi Arabia!! The JAA AME is UK CAA certified so he has to process the paperwork through them, they in turn submit the paperwork to the IAA.

Mutt

FAA fit / JAR unfit
30th May 2006, 06:27
Thanks Mutt.. is that medical certificate valid for flying in Saudi Arabia or obtaining their local CPL or they issue a different certificate with an initial medical check in order to obtain the licence and afterwards the JAA certificate is valid? How does it goes with Saudi CAA (regarding medicals)?
Anyone else renewing in Europe, between different JAA countries?
Any story to share regarding JAA medical certificates-files acceptance?
Regards,

AAIGUY
30th May 2006, 09:44
I did my initial UK Cat 1 in Gatwick, all subsequent ones in HKG at a local AME there.

mutt
30th May 2006, 10:37
JAA Class 1 is for personal reasons, nothing to do with this country.

Originally Saudi operated exclusively on the FAA system, you therefore needed a FAA medical, there was no such thing as a Saudi medical, nor did they accept JAA or any other.

With the recent issuance of Saudi licences based upon ICAO they have started issuing their own medicals.

I have never heard of any country accepting another countries medical.

Mutt

potkettleblack
30th May 2006, 11:04
I received written confirmation from the aeromedical centre that I can renew(or revalidate) my Class 1 uk issued JAA medical here in Dublin. Only request was that I have to advise the IAA at the time of the medical to forward the required paperwork to Gatwick so that they can update their records to show that my medical is valid.

I did a lot of trawling through the CAA website which kind of got me close to an answer but decided to clear it up once and for all that getting a written confirmation was the best course of action to take. Suggest you write/email them andgive your specifics.

Edit: on the CAA website there is a list of UK approved AME's by location all over the world. You might find one that is located near you and thus have to avoid using the locals and ensuring that the CAA has some sort of reciprocy arrangement with them.

Capt Chambo
31st May 2006, 03:07
It looks as though you have your answer, which is that you may renew a JAA medical in any country that has an approved AME. I have renewed my UK ATPL (non JAR) in France, Cyprus and Australia each time with no problems, just check with the AME before yur appointment that they have the forms.
Here is a link from the UK's CAA SRG website that will help you find an AME:-
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=65&applicationid=21
And here is one that will help you find an FAA approved AME:-
http://ame.cami.jccbi.gov/

FAA fit / JAR unfit
31st May 2006, 06:43
Thanks!! How about the extended renewal? Also can be done with any worldwide AME outside the country of issuance?

Regards,

mutt
1st Jun 2006, 10:00
How about the extended renewal?

If you mean can you revalidate your medical with a foreign based AME after it has expired, at least in my case the answer was NO.

Mutt

potkettleblack
1st Jun 2006, 11:09
Mutt - I think I know what you mean but just be careful with the phraseology as I understand:

Renewal = when your medical has expired so you get another years worth from the date of the new medical

Revalidate = have an unexpired medical and go along to your AME within 45 days of the expiry of said medical and get another years worth from the date of the "old" expiry date

All explained here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED_Med_Cert_Expiry_Dates.pdf

FAA fit / JAR unfit
1st Jun 2006, 11:29
Nope!! A yearly renewal is an ordinary one and an extended one (not expired) is one done every 5 years I think. I just donīt know if the extended can be done with an AME.
Regards,

meadreamer
5th Jun 2006, 22:44
do they scan your eye in the initial or renewal ?
another thing is that i know someone who got his initial CAA medical whereas he did LASEK ( it is different from LASIK, because there is no flap that could be seen by the slit lamp) so the doctor did not found out !! is it possible ?

BigGrecian
7th Jun 2006, 22:23
have never heard of any country accepting another countries medical.

The US accept a foreign medical - assuming it has gone through their foreign licence verification system.