PDA

View Full Version : GECAT and OAT

Vmd
25th May 2006, 11:54
Does anybody know anything about this new ‘special’ relationship between Gecat and Oxford? I’ve heard that Oxford has started recommending graduates to Gecat for exclusive self sponsored courses. It would appear that Gecat have also stopped taking applications from students from else where, since when I applied a few months back they had closed the application process or so I was told.

I feel that this is very unfair and denies other students the opportunity (which previously existed) to advance their careers in that such direction. It would be nice to see everyone all playing on a level field for once and for oxford and Gecat to stop this further corruption of our employment market. I’m very surprised to see Gecat taking such measures since they have been doing the scheme (open to all) for a number of years. It would be nice to hear if anyone has recently got on the scheme that isn’t an Oat graduate.

Happy Landings

VMD:ok:

sicky
25th May 2006, 16:15
What exactly do GECAT do? Is it typre-ratings?

Had a browse of their site and they don't do "normal" training.

potkettleblack
25th May 2006, 17:05
Yep they are a TRTO and have been largely successful in placing students. I remember seeing a year or so ago a covering memo about their 737 and A320 courses. Attached were the courses for the coming year and the number of places available on each. An instructor at the school had made a note of how many students had gotten work and where after having a meeting with GECAT. Most students seemed to be in gainful employment and were picked up before they had completed the course. Mytravel, BMI and Ryanair spring to mind. As far as I know GECAT have always preferred to get self sponsored students from the Cabair and the Oxfords of the world and it was usually on recommendation of the CFI at your school that you got called forward for an interview prior to handing over the dosh. At Cabair it didn't matter if you were modular of integrated. Can't say for Oxford.

sicky
25th May 2006, 18:07
Thanks for the info on that one :ok:

Craggenmore
25th May 2006, 20:54
Forget OAT and GECAT. What's so special about being recommended to pay a further £18,000?

Try CTC instead. If you make it through, for £6.8k you get a type rating and line experience leading to a full time job. Its a super course in super surroundings with super people. :)

sanook
26th May 2006, 07:00
Then your'e stuck there for 7 years or so. CTC are laying it a bit thin I hear. expanded too fast.

Craggenmore
26th May 2006, 08:48
Then your'e stuck there for 7 years or so. CTC are laying it a bit thin I hear. expanded too fast.
Read the contract have you? Been through the 4 stage selection process have you? Been offered a TR starting next month have you?

You are miles from the truth with your ill-informed little quip. In fact, as many miles as Asia is from the UK :ugh: This is a post for VMD if he can't get in to GECAT.

BTW, You are 'stuck' there until you receive full-time employment at the end of line training! If you do not know what you are talking about, do not post on this forum. You only add confusion.

ChocksAwayUK
26th May 2006, 09:05
True, if a little OTT Craggers! I'm sure he's getting mixed up with the Cadet scheme. Always best to be sure of yourself before stating anything as fact though.

Craggenmore
26th May 2006, 09:14
I'm sure he's getting mixed up with the Cadet scheme
Good point Chocks but it still annoyed me as I sit here reading the contract :ok:;)

Gator32
26th May 2006, 10:15
Forget OAT and GECAT. What's so special about being recommended to pay a further £18,000?

Try CTC instead. If you make it through, for £6.8k you get a type rating and line experience leading to a full time job. Its a super course in super surroundings with super people.

This is all very well, IF you pass the AQC. There have been a number of people in the past who have failed the course and come away with nothing. Many have subsequently failed to add the course to there CV in fear of it counting against them in future selections. If you've already completed an MCC it could be very expensive. CTC is in effect a gamble but the rewards are potentially there for all to see!
The benefit of GECAT is by paying the £16K you're effectively guarantueed a job at the end and a type rating. GECAT take away the risk, but you do pay the price!

Vmd
26th May 2006, 10:45
[quote= This is a post for VMD if he can't get in to GECAT..[/quote]

Cheers Craggenmore, have employment myself. Just wanted to highlight what might be going on for future students.
I agree that CTC is a very good path to go down, if you can get through selection and the course. Its interesting to see that Easyjet have been recruiting heavily from Gecat courses recently, I always thought they recruited cadets exclusively through CTC?

ChocksAwayUK
26th May 2006, 10:54
I always thought they recruited cadets exclusively through CTC?

I imagine that demand is outstripping supply of CTC candidates - of course it would ruin CTC's reputation if they were to lower the standards in order to supply more pilots to satify the demand the recent 'boom' has created. Hence EZY have to go elsewhere.

potkettleblack
26th May 2006, 11:04
I remember reading a post a few months ago about some CTC cadets that weren't up to scratch when coming on line at Easy. Perhaps if this is true then that would account for Easy spreading the net wider and not putting all their eggs in one basket.

There are some very good TRTO's out there and others that are run as a production line to generate profits and capitalise on the demand for type ratings. From what I hear/have researched GECAT seems to be amongst a small few that have maintained their standards and have a great network to assist in placing students.

BitMoreRightRudder
26th May 2006, 11:24
Craggenmore/ChocksAway

Sanook was wrong on all counts, both ATP guys and cadets can bugger off as soon as they like. Quite a few have!

Good luck with the bus' course by the way Craggenmore. (I'm presuming your on the bus)

MrHorgy
27th May 2006, 10:43
I recently inquired to GECAT about their Pilot programme a la..
Dear X,
I notice you are currently offering self-sponsored type ratings at
GECAT. As you can understand, enrollment involves a significant
financial outlay.
Could you offer any insight on previous cadets and their employment take
up?
Do you work with any airlines that take pilots from this programme?
Best Regards
The answer I received was thus:
Dear X,
Thank you for your enquiry.
At present we are hugely oversubscribed with students wishing to do the
same and are unable to accept any more requests for the time being.
With kind regards
Evidently they are massively oversubscribed!
Horgy

dimitrispa31
30th May 2006, 20:28
Do not pay for the type ratings guys,thats not the way it should be. Believe me a good airline that respects its pilots will pay for it,just be patient and you will get this rewarding career.I got employed by an airline few months ago,i never paid for my B737 type rating.If an airline finds you suitable for the job the costs will be covered by them.Good luck to all of you

Bad Robot
7th Jun 2006, 19:33
For what it is worth, I have an assessment with GECAT shortly.
I am an expreienced jet pilot whos jet rating has effectively been devalued by the likes of Easy Jet. To self fund a more modern Type Rating for me, is perhaps the last chance I get to escape and fly proper Aeroplanes.

737,757,767 and Airbus family is the only way to go these days.
You can forget your B707, B727, Emb145, Bae146, MD80, DC8's and DC9's ( are there any left?) Thank you Easy Jet!:{

It's not always tough just at the bottom, it's tough at what probably most of you guys here would call the top too.:ugh: