View Full Version : BINGO

liney spy
24th May 2006, 14:20
hello

to settle an argument..... please could somebody explain the meaning of the term 'BINGO' in relation to fuel contents/distribution
I thankyou.

LS :ok:

batfink2
24th May 2006, 14:48
Bingo fuel, the point at which an aircraft has just enough fuel remaining to return to base

ORAC
24th May 2006, 14:54
As a historical note, up to about 15 years ago, IIRC, the RAF used Bingo and Joker the opposite way round to the USAF. Which caused no end of confusion. As did the different uses of Knock it off and Terminate calls. :uhoh:

VigilantPilot
24th May 2006, 14:55
Not exactly. Its the fuel required to commence recovery to land with minimum fuel.

BEagle
24th May 2006, 15:19
Bingo means a pre-briefed fuel state.

It can also be the same as 'joker' (but not 'chicken') depending on the brief.

ORAC
24th May 2006, 15:53
Bingo: Fuel state required for recovery to arrive at planned destination with planned landing/diversion fuel.
Joker: Pre-planned fuel state above Bingo at which an exercise/engagement should be terminated. Usually planned to allow enough fuel to RV with with the rest of the formation, exit the area etc before commencing recovery.

As I say, we used to use them the other way around, and it was not uncommon to have a couple of different pre-planned fuel calls, Bingo 1, Bingo 2 etc. Never heard a Joker 1/Joker 2 after the change round though.

Everyone misused Gate and Liner, don't know how many people actual were aware of the true meanings, or of Loiter and Saunter. And if you wanted to totally confuse a pilot you asked him to check oranges.....

threepointonefour
24th May 2006, 16:56
BINGO is now properly defined in the AWC Tactics manual and has a fixed definition. We've moved on from the 80's when each sqn made up their own meanings for each codeword (that wasn't listed in D or M!).

Who's checked their 'oranges' recently?

Bottlenose Alpha anyone?

ORAC
24th May 2006, 17:04
Most were in the ACP 165E (U). Always fun in a Friday quiz to pick a non air-air section. Things like GOODYEAR (plus number) = number of survivors in the water in a liferaft and DAVY JONES = Survivor in the water without a lifejacket. :}

STANDTO
24th May 2006, 17:27
Bingo Plus, IIRC was used to call a critical fuel state and request RHAG deployment??:confused:

Maple 01
24th May 2006, 18:01
OK, which well known types sorties typically went

"On channel"
"Fox1"
"Fox2"
"Chicken"
"RTB"

Pause

"Lamb"

All in the space of 5 mins?

BEagle
24th May 2006, 18:32
Any Lightning PI - except that it went: 'visual'....'contact'.....'Judy'....'more help'....'Fox 1'....'Fox2'...'chicken'...'saunter'...'Fuel priority'!!

I guess prototype Lightning AI sorties were P1 PIs?

The Helpful Stacker
24th May 2006, 18:33
OK, which well known types sorties typically went
"On channel"
"Fox1"
"Fox2"
"Chicken"
"RTB"
Pause
"Lamb"
All in the space of 5 mins?

Lightning QRF?

Maple 01
24th May 2006, 18:43
I was after your time Beags, don't remember the 'saunter' call but heard a few 'er check pidgeons to Tango?' in a very worried tones, even funnier when the Vulcan had gone U/S

BTW, have you been away? Haven't heard from you for a while

BEagle
24th May 2006, 18:49
'Saunter' and 'Liner' were around in the 1980s! But I do remember 'Hayrake' and 'Pitchfork' from Hunter Rebecca/Eureka days in the 1970s....

Yes, have been busy with A310MRTT and non-FSTA A330MRTT stuff over the past week or so.

ORAC
24th May 2006, 20:55
OK, who remembers the Lightning "Bloodhound" call from GCI and what it meant?... :}

Maple 01
24th May 2006, 22:26
Was that linked to Vampire and bruiser? I remember liner, buster and gate but not saunter - God I'm only 40, what's happening to my memory?

Busta
24th May 2006, 23:47
How times have changed!

In the 80's on all 3 F4 Squadrons in which I served (the Wattisham Wing). Bingos and Joker were all information calls to the lead; bingos were pre briefed fuel states, so that the rest of the sortie could be properly arranged. Joker meant "it's your party, stay if you want to but I'm off home for a cup of tea". Chicken meant "sorry I missed joker, now I've really got to go somewhere".

Nothing matters very much, most things don't matter at all.

akula
25th May 2006, 17:36
A quick google finds many brevity code words:\ :\ for those that are interested.

http://www.dxworld.com/codes.html

Pontius Navigator
25th May 2006, 18:34
Orac, that was a sour one.

Xavier Onassis
25th May 2006, 21:33
Threepointonefour...
My oranges are sweet but my father is bent!

Pontius Navigator
25th May 2006, 21:36
Moving away from AD, one of my favourites was 'Hot Goblin drawing pointers' and so on.

ORAC
26th May 2006, 05:20
Tís a long time since I last strangled a parrot. :sad:

brickhistory
26th May 2006, 11:23
Or having my gadget bent.

Widger
26th May 2006, 12:54
Big Berthas Clara no rats in the bullring, chirp canary, descend cherubs 5 buster, my beaver is sweet, bananas, bananas, bananas!

WE Branch Fanatic
26th May 2006, 13:15
Big Berthas Clara no rats in the bullring, chirp canary, descend cherubs 5 buster, my beaver is sweet, bananas, bananas, bananas!

Keep taking the pills, mate:}

ORAC
26th May 2006, 14:05
Or having my gadget bent

Sounds as much fun as playing with the T84 Dickie Fix and Wobulator. But they were as nothing compared to the HSA parabolic lay, even if it was a bit passive.... :ooh:

ORAC
26th May 2006, 18:13
Widger, how can you say that and have any face left at all......

Pontius Navigator
26th May 2006, 19:21
Magic mushrooms ORAC. Holding hands over the fence with feet dry and bloodhounds loose in the dog box. Mind you gotta watch out for the bruisers.

ORAC
26th May 2006, 20:22
Mind you gotta watch out for the bruisers Just give them the bird...

Maple 01
26th May 2006, 21:47
Oi! you lot, knock it off!!!

jimgriff
29th May 2006, 18:51
Playmate-Dropkick- Caravan.....Oops! I've just spalshed the playmate, cleared RTB?

Happy days:cool:

Bob Viking
30th May 2006, 09:50
I could be wrong but I believe what is being discussed here are codewords.
They are called that for a good reason.
Discussing them on here might not be prudent. Even if they are available elsewhere.
Sorry to be a misery, but it is monday morning after all!
BV

Toxteth O'Grady
30th May 2006, 10:01

Brevity! :rolleyes:

:cool:

TOG

k3k3
30th May 2006, 10:18
Discussing them on here might not be prudent. Even if they are available elsewhere.
Sorry to be a misery, but it is monday morning after all!
BV

Monday? Which time zone are you in? it's Tuesday here.

Bob Viking
30th May 2006, 11:43
Virtual monday anyway.
Same difference.
Agreed bingo and joker are for brevity. I think we were starting to stray into the realms of things we shouldn't discuss.
BV

jindabyne
30th May 2006, 11:51
Bob,

Oh c'mon! Either jump on a cabrank or fall out of a bushy-topped tree ---

Maple 01
30th May 2006, 18:20
Quite safe Bob,

http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/service_pubs/101_5_1.pdf

DISTRIBUTION RESTRICTION: Approved for public, distribution is unlimited

I'm off to flash two for ident - and they can't touch you for it!