PDA

View Full Version : Aerobatics - Scotland

wbryce
24th May 2006, 10:16
I have the usual aerobatic addiction and it needs feeding! Does anyone know any aerobatic aircraft/instructors that are happy to train and lease out their aircraft in and around Scotland? I had a share in an aero capable aircraft but unfortunately that group is no longer and im seeking to see if theres any other groups/aircrafts available for lease and training on...not looking for anything particular special - something nice and simple and easy to learn on for basic/beginner/entry level aeros.

Drop me a PM if you wish.

'India-Mike
24th May 2006, 11:22
Tayside, Dundee. Grob Heron (5 of them I think). Impressive aeroplane for a tyro, patient instructor (they may have more than one aeros-qualified, but the guy I flew with was very tolerant!)

Prestwick Flying Club. Chipmunk. Avail. mid-June due awaiting new engine. Two instructors available.

Leading Edge. Pitts. (Old info on my part, so may no longer be avail.) No idea about instructor avail. tho'

wbryce
24th May 2006, 11:43
I'm aware of the Pitts at LE, the bloke that owns it is an aeros instructor and taught me on the aircraft i had a share in...unfortunately its his pride and joy and insurance limitations and my own limitations would prevent me soloing - i think a pitts would be too much for me at this stage - as much as it sounds a great idea.

Does anyone know what types are based at Eshott airfield and if theres any that would suit my criteria?

DB6
24th May 2006, 17:40
I take it you mean Southern Scotland then? You could try www.eshottairfield.co.uk (http://www.eshottairfield.co.uk) - looks like just microlights though. I-M has it about right, plus a Pitts at Perth although availability is patchy.
Dundee's Grobs are available for solo hire after a checkout. Only downside is fixed pitch prop but that aside very good up to standard level.

wbryce
25th May 2006, 10:07
thanks Eshott only has a C150 aerobat which I suppose is better than nothing! I guess the other option is to sell my left kidney and buy an aircraft....which at this point, I was hoping keep my left kidney for the IR! :E

If anyone else knows of any other aircraft that hasn't been mentioned then please let me know.

flying snapper
26th May 2006, 10:26
You could try the Prestwick Flight Centre, several instructors and several c150 aerobats for solo hire?

'India-Mike
26th May 2006, 14:53
flying snapper is correct as regards aircraft. Not so sure about instructors though as they pulled in an instructor from the Prestwick Flying Club recently to do a couple of Aerobat aerobatics sorties. So instructor availability may be an issue.

Realistically, do it on a fixed-pitch propeller machine. It'll teach you engine management skills that'll remain ingrained, no matter what you fly next. Personally I'd like you to learn in our Chipmunk (ooh err, advertisement - sorry mods), but you'd do 10 hours tailwheel before starting aeros, then you'd have an aeros and a tailwheel checkout to do. I'd allow 20 hours to do the AOPA course AND get a differences endorsement for tailwheel - you wouldn't be able to kill those two birds with one stone. The Chipmunk requires beyond-beginners care to stall-turn left, stall-turns less well with the chattering ballast (instructor) in the back, and requires very careful energy management when putting a sequence together.

That leaves Tayside's Herons. In one respect the Heron is a better aeroplane than the RAF's Tutor - it's got that fixed pitch propeller, and you don't notice the 20hp less. As much as it pains me to say so, I rate the Heron above the Bulldog for aeros. It's got enough performance for sustaining energy in a sequence. It's almost carefree-manoeuvring for the PPL.

So go to Tayside. Get a Heron. Ask for Syd. Top man. If db6 still does a bit there, ask for him too. Good man as well (sorry db6 - if you're who I think you are, I know you, but you probably don't know me!)
I've got no connections with Tayside, other than hiring their Heron once, and having been an engineering customer in another life!

Ops and Mops
26th May 2006, 21:02
Personally I'd like you to learn in our Chipmunk (ooh err, advertisement - sorry mods), but you'd do 10 hours tailwheel before starting aeros, then you'd have an aeros and a tailwheel checkout to do. I'd allow 20 hours to do the AOPA course AND get a differences endorsement for tailwheel

Of course you would wee man, of course you would.....:suspect:

Prestwick Flight Centre do have aerobatics instructors available, with many years experience between them in both Military and Civilian guises. I would suggest that the Chipmunk is not the best aircraft to learn on from a cost point of view for the very reasons India Mike has mentioned.

Learn the theory, learn the basics on something simple and less expensive, and then if you want to move onto the Chippie or such like later on. I guarantee that you will enjoy it a lot more.

If you can, I would personally advocate going to Dundee and learning on the Herons. Ideally suited to the job, great line featues in the locality with the coast and disused airfields, and all reasonably priced to boot.

DB6
26th May 2006, 21:23
I-M, yep, still do as much as I can there (not enough) and always make time for aeros; my profile reveals all. Interesting that you rate the Heron above the Bulldog, I've never flown a Bulldog but had assumed they would be better. Maybe not. The Herons certainly have been a great addition to the fleet though and I don't know of other similarly capable aircraft anywhere for the same dosh.
wbryce, if you are far enough South I think there is a Firefly at Newcastle (maybe Teesside) and beyond that you are into the rich aerobatic heartland of Yorkshire - lots of good stuff there.