PDA

View Full Version : Career Breaks

ChezTanker
24th May 2006, 07:03
Hi,
Has anybody found the info on taking a career break in the British Armed Forces:) . I have tried our mil net - JSP threads are unavailable and I can't find the JPA publications:confused: . I understand it is from 6 months to 3 years without salary - budgeted for 2 x 6 mth - but what are the qualifications? How do you apply? Can you have more than one? There must be a tri-service pub but damned if I can find it. HR staff are very busy so the closest I got to an answer was ... it's on the intranet. Spent a pointless hour finding all the JSP pdf's were unavailable.:ugh: Having attended the JPA brief and caught sight of Career Breaks on the power point presentation I thought that career breaks, along with PVR applications, was going to be on JPA - I am a luddite but have checked all the sub-menu's and still no joy. :(

Climebear
24th May 2006, 07:55
Try Chapter 8 of JSP760 entitled Career Breaks (available on the MOD Intranet). It should contain the info you are after.

The aim of this Chapter is to set out the general terms and conditions under which the Armed Forces offer limited opportunities for Service personnel to take a Career Break (CB) where this does not compromise operational effectiveness. It is emphasised that CBs are granted at the absolute discretion of the Service; they are not a right and will only be permitted where manning margins allow and where they do not compromise operational capability. This means that inevitably some applications will be refused. Personnel on a CB will not be paid and will remain liable for recall to duty in the event of operational necessity. CBs may be for any period over 3 months and up to 3 years. Service personnel management authorities, however, may cap their duration at less than 3 years to minimise gapping and maintain operational capability. For the same reason it may be necessary to restrict the number of personnel on CBs at any one time.

ChezTanker
24th May 2006, 09:13
Thanks Climebear,
Ch 8 JSP 760 - guess some negotiation with my Poster!!:)