PDA

View Full Version : Restricted Class 1 - Advise Requested

Ctrl-Alt-Del
23rd May 2006, 20:28
I am a fast jet pilot in the military and have just found out if I wanted to apply for a Class 1 medical it would be Restricted to Operational Multi Crew or 'Must fly as or with a Co-pilot'. This is due to a minor Skin Cancer problem I had 3 yrs ago.

My question is this, I have the opportunity to leave shortly and join the airlines. Could I expect to gain employment with such a restriction or is it unlikely I would be looked at in favour of others with Full Class 1's?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

backofthedrag
24th May 2006, 11:21
' as or with ' restrictions are commonplace and very unlikely to have any effect as regards airline recruiting for multi-crew aircraft.
Only if the airline had a large number of pilots who could not fly together would rostering have difficulties.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
24th May 2006, 17:57
Thanks for the advise 'backofthedrag'. I've been told airlines 'deal with it' if you get restricted when you are already employed by them (in the same way as the RAF has). However, my worry is they will not take on someone with an existing problem.

DME MILOS
25th May 2006, 18:07
Apply to the airlines and be honest about the OML if you are given a restriction. Most airlines worth their salt will look at all of your other qualifications and qualities and disregard what is a minor medical restriction. I don't know too many airlines who operate single seat, so "as or with another pilot" doesn't limit them too much. It is also worth contacting somebody within the CAA Medical division, if you have not already, to get their considered opinion, they, unlike the RAF doctors have a vested interest in keeping you flying. In my case, for a different problem, they upgraded an initial OML restriction that I had applied on my initial Medical.
All the best and make the jump, best move I've made, and I had a fantastic 20 years in!:)

2close
28th May 2006, 18:35
Could you possibly quote any specific examples of 'as or with' restrictions?

I would be very interested to know what medical conditions are permitted on the flight deck, provided that the other pilot is in 'good working order', so to speak. I am assuming that this is what the 'as or with' restriction means.

As a matter of interest, whose job is it to manage which pilots fly together, in terms of medical restrictions? I would presume it is the duty of the airline.