PDA

View Full Version : BA online check in

BaVsBmi
23rd May 2006, 18:33
Hi,

I'm flying from Glasgow down to Heathrow before flying out to New York with my partner for a few days.
My question is whether we will be able to check in online and print boarding passes for both flights, go straight to a fast bag drop point at glasgow and my baggage while be automatically transfered to the JFK flight?

I only ask because i can't find anywhere on ba.com that says whether this is possible or not.

sorry if this has come up before,

thanks

wub
23rd May 2006, 19:02
Sadly you can't do it. Printing boarding passes is only an option for single leg journeys.

What you need to do is check in on line to bag the seats you want, then at GLA go to a check in desk where they will issue your boarding passes and check your baggage through to JFK for you.

apaddyinuk
23rd May 2006, 21:16
But please keep in mind that now ALL domestic travel requires you to check in using the self service kiosks. Once you have visited one of these you can then get your luggage checked all the way!

BaVsBmi
23rd May 2006, 21:53
will i get the boarding pass for LHR -JFK at the self service kiosk as well?

sorry if it sounds like am hopeless!

apaddyinuk
24th May 2006, 09:07
In theory you should if its all the one booking but unfortunately its not the most reliable thing in the world. You may need to get it issued at the Fast Bag Desk

RevMan2
24th May 2006, 11:14
And what does this say about BA's process management and communication?

Not a lot - and the tragic thing is that they're no better or worse than the rest...

BaVsBmi
24th May 2006, 12:12
thanks everyone :ok:

wub
24th May 2006, 14:10
My most recent experience of this check in farce was two weeks ago. I checked in online at home for a domestic followed by an international flight. When I got to the airport I went to the self service kiosk with my BA Exec card, which the machine spat out. The message 'unable to check you at this time' appeared. I tried another machine and got the same message. Iwent to a desk and was told that I can't use the machine to check in for a domestic followed by an international flight. Nowhere on BA.com or on the machine does it tell you this.

The reason seems to be that your passport has to be inspected before a boading pass for the international leg can be issued.

GwynM
24th May 2006, 14:27
The new machines at ABZ seem to have a slot for automatic scanning of the passport.

wub
24th May 2006, 14:53
I can just imagine one of those damned machines sucking your passport in, chewing it up and spitting out a ball of coloured paper :eek:

WHBM
24th May 2006, 15:24
How can the passport scanner do anything other than read a passport number and name details ? You might need a visa for the trip in which case a manual check is required before departure anyway.

I believe the passport scanner is just as an alternative to a credit card or BA Exec card to match your name to the flight reservation for a domestic leg.

It would be useful if the "cannot check you in" message actually stated why, it covers a multitude of circumstances.

amanoffewwords
24th May 2006, 16:37
Are the machines smart enough to tell you "it's not you, you're nicked. Please stay close to the machine while we call PC Plod"?:confused:

Railgun
24th May 2006, 20:55
Sorry there are a lot of people who have been mis-advised on this post. BA.com online checkin will check you in for the onward flight on a through ticket. Just make sure all your passport details are registered along with the address your staying at in the states.

If you checkin at the self service machines you will recieve both boarding pass's as long as it is a through ticket. If not the staff at the bag drop desk or the recovery desk will check you in for the onward flight. The only time it will not check you in is if it as a none self service route (eg LHR-SYD) where a visa check is required.