PDA

View Full Version : What is this helicopter?

blackhelicop
23rd May 2006, 15:57
Hi,

can anyone identify this helicopter and if there is anything else to mention about it?

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/5875/heli7jp.jpg

Bumblebee
23rd May 2006, 16:09
Looks to me like a Squirrel (Ecuriel) with a gimballed camera mount on the front..:8

blackhelicop
23rd May 2006, 16:15
Looks to me like a Squirrel (Ecuriel) with a gimballed camera mount on the front..:8

Are those camera mainly use of News stations or police force maybe?

Also how often is this Helicopter used in military applications?

Thanks for your help.

tigerfish
23rd May 2006, 22:22
It is an AS350 known in the States as an A star. From the camera mount and the apparent signwriting on the side I suspect that it is a media newsgathering machine rather than a Police machine. They tend to use a slightly different camera gimble. Definately an AS350 Squirrel (A Star ) though but unable to say which mark other than it is probably a "B" series.

tigerfish
23rd May 2006, 22:35
On looking at the picture again there is somthing mounted on the body of the machine between the skids. That may suggest that it could be a Police machine after all. They often carry loudspeakers in that position. Could also be a searchlight but that is usually futher back nearer the body/tailboom junction. Would have to be other than UK though as all Police machines in UK by law must be twin engined & that is clearly a single.

chopperdr
23rd May 2006, 22:47
ENG astar with single pole mount, either FLIR UM / CINEFLEX or WESCAM 16 DS camera. the attachment in the center is a belly pod for microwave downlink, standard stuff. nothing more sinister than that
dr

Dave_Jackson
23rd May 2006, 22:51
How does it work with such a long mast and 4 stubby little blades?

212man
23rd May 2006, 23:08
It also appears to have a large, brightly coloured, logo on the side, which would suggest ENG!

swervin'mervin
24th May 2006, 05:35
Dave, I thought the same! Mind you its huge - just look at how it dwarfs that other flying machine!

CyclicRick
24th May 2006, 10:23
Dave, it's pure RPM and blade chord. Mind you think of the safety aspect, embarking and disembarking pax is a doddle:ok: