PDA

View Full Version : What's a 'Performance A'?

Grum
23rd May 2006, 11:04
:bored: Just churning through these online application forms trying to think of referees who knew what colour my toothbrush was in 1943.

A couple ask me if i have passed a 'performance A'. I'm guessing this is a type rating in a class A aircraft. Will a light twin turbo-prop like a Kingair count?

While i'm here i might aswell embarass myself further by asking what a LOFT conversion is. I live in a flat so is this really applicable? :E

Thanks in advance

sjm
23rd May 2006, 11:10
Loft = Line orientated flight training

Perf A= performance exam for jets under the old CAA system no longer exists as far as I am aware under JAA as you do one perfomance exam for all.

Jinkster
23rd May 2006, 21:38
If you have done JAR Performance Examination - you have done Perf A - MRJT. Under old CAA system - you either did A, B or C as far as I am aware.

Jinkster

Grum
24th May 2006, 08:22
Thank you both.

I have put a tick in the box for 'Performance A' and I suppose the LOFT training comes with your first airline posting.

Thanks again.

Pilot Pete
24th May 2006, 17:13
you either did A, B or C as far as I am aware.
Jinkster There were loads of other performance categories, like 'E' which was for light singles and twins and 'X', which I think was for really old aircraft that didn't meet the criteria for any other class.....

As pointed out, under JAR you have done your Performance A as part of the JAA exams (perf A is for commercial aircraft that meet certain performance criteria.....like being able to climb on one engine when the other gives up at V1):ok:

PP

Jinkster
24th May 2006, 18:12
Thanks PP :)

ToneTheWone
25th May 2006, 11:04
If I can recall there were loads of them:-

Perf' A - Able to continue at any time and a forced landing should not be necessary following engine failure.

Perf' B - Twin engined propeller aircraft of 8600kg or less where a forced landing is unlikely at any point in flight.

Perf' C - Small multi-engined aircraft of 5700kg or less which are not required to take into account engine failure on take-off or initial climb. Aircraft such as Seneca, Trilander etc.

Perf' D - Single engined iaircraft and some low performance twins below 5700kg not necessarily able to maintain height after suffering engine failure.

Perf' E - Max tOW 2730kg singles and some twins such as Cessna 310R.

Perf' F - Max TOW 5700kg where a forced landing may be nessary following engine failure shortly after lift-off.

Perf' X - Some large multi-engined aircraft such as DC6 and DC7

All now replaced with the coming of JAR. A pity as the exams were the most fun you could have with your cloths on:\