PDA

View Full Version : Renewal By Experience

Arclite01
23rd May 2006, 10:16
Question

I am hoping to move to NZ in about a month. I have got in excess of the 12 hours required to renew by experience and usually I renew by doing an hour with an instructor who is an examiner and the job is done.

But, this year I won't be in the UK to do the 1 hour with my instructor/examiner and the renewal can only be within 3 months of expiry of the rating. Mine expires October 30th.

So, can I just do my hour with the instructor and then get the renewal signed in October by any examiner.

or

Do I have to do another test

or

Does anyone know a JAR examiner in NZ who could ign the paperwork for the renewal.

Ultimately I'll convert to an NZ licence I guess, so this will be a 'one off' to allow me to keep flying in the interim while I settle in.

any help, as usual, greatly appreciated.

Arc

On the Spot
23rd May 2006, 10:51
It seems to depend upon who you talk to as I was told by another organisation, with whom I had not flown and after the event Grrr ! that I could have got my certificate signed as soon as I had completed the 12 hours and one hour instruction. Seemed logical to me at the time.

I fell foul of the renewal within 3 month of expiry having done the flying and the one hour. I then waited for the three month to arrive but in the process letting my CAA medical expire on purpose only to find that I needed that to be current in order for the certificate to be signed off - which did not seem logical - needing a medical to do paperwork ???

Mike Cross
23rd May 2006, 13:36
The relevant requirements are in JAR-FCL 1.245(c) (http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/563247.pdf)

You can meet all of the requirements (including the 1 hr with an instructor) within 12 months if you are re-validating by experience. It's only the proficiency check (if you choose to do it that way) that has to be done within 3 months.

Print out the relevant bit of JAR's above and show it to the examiner and he should sign you off.
(c) Single-pilot single-engine class ratings – Validity and Revalidation. Single-pilot single engine class ratings are valid for two years from the date of issue, or the date of expiry if revalidated within the validity period.
If therefore you revalidate by experience within 12 months of expiry your new rating will last for two years from the expiry date of your previous rating.

Mike

On the Spot
23rd May 2006, 14:01
For information I am vacationing in New Zealand later this year and so was looking at the requirements to use my PPL (FAA) there as well. It seems that you can only apply for a NZ PPL by passing their Biannual check at a recognised training school and then sending away for a licence which takes about two weeks and NZ$55. The CAA PPL carries an additional £16 payable top the CAA to let them release your details to the NZ CAA when they check up on you.
You need your CAA PPL in order to avoid doing the exams etc. over again. Otherwise to fly will need an instructor along. You can fly on your UK medicla whle it is valid too.
I have also been looking for flightschools and slef fly hire but it seems that there are not many that actually have websites - either that or there are not many full stop. When you get there and if you have time I would appreciate any recomendations from your experience.

englishal
23rd May 2006, 17:37
Last time I revalidated about a month into the second year and indeed got almost 3 years. This time I left it till the last minute and did the 1 hr with instructor 2 days before it was due to expire (today I did it, between showers)......I wouldn't recommend it what with the weather we're having and all that, I was just being lazy. I wasn't looking forward to having to do a "skills test"....:eek: