PDA

View Full Version : Tilt Rotor

Tourist
23rd May 2006, 06:56
A friend of mine has to do a dit on Tilt Rotors for his IRI course, and has asked me to inquire on here if anybody knows of any internet resourses with good info, or if anybody has knowledge themselves to impart. If so please PM me and I will pass it on to the loafing git.:ok:

Aeronut
23rd May 2006, 07:45
"a friend of mine" :}

Tourist
23rd May 2006, 07:51
Are you impugning my assertion that this is for a friend, or merely the likelyhood of me actually having friends?

cyclicmicky
23rd May 2006, 14:11
Try Here (http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/v-22.htm)
:ok:

EnginEars
23rd May 2006, 14:46
The next step for tiltrotors.... maybe?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/defense/1281266.html
:hmm:

Anybody know what happened to the Westland ERICA tiltwing/rotor thingy?

Tourist
23rd May 2006, 16:30
Cheers guys:)

SASless
24th May 2006, 00:08
Rotorheads Forum had a long running thread or two about the V22...

title is something like.. "What is the latest on the V22 "(or Osprey maybe)

ImageGear
24th May 2006, 12:49
Two are scheduled to be on display at RIAT this year, 25/26 July.

Kitbag
24th May 2006, 15:08
The next step for tiltrotors.... maybe?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/defense/1281266.html
:hmm:

Don't know about Erica or any of her mates but the 'V44' looks too unwieldy to handle within the confines of a carrier.

Antelope
24th May 2006, 15:32
Basic Osprey question but are the hours logged as fixed wing, rotary or a mixture of the two? Just interested.

Ant

Ian Corrigible
24th May 2006, 17:36
The 10-ton ERICA tiltrotor remains in 'simmer' mode, courtesy of funding under the EU's 'Framework' mechanism. It has now morphed into the guise of the 'NICE TRIP' effort, led by VERTAIR (AW/EC). PM me if you need more details.

I/C

US Herk
25th May 2006, 13:06
Basic Osprey question but are the hours logged as fixed wing, rotary or a mixture of the two? Just interested.
Ant

Don't know how much headway they're making, but the Osprey folks in the USAF are pushing for a new category of flight time. They're also in the unenviable position that since the powers that be don't know what they are, when there is a discrepancy between fixed-wing & rotary-wing operations, they tend to get straddled with the more restrictive requirements rather than the requirement that makes the most sense, but such is bureaucracy & the fear of the unknown...

Where R We?
25th May 2006, 13:44
Don't know about Erica or any of her mates but the 'V44' looks too unwieldy to handle within the confines of a carrier.
At a presentation last year at Bell, this was rasied as a possible issue after remarking on the issues of chinook downwash when dealing with heavy USL's.

One of the bumf pictures available online shows a QTR (quad tilt rotor) offloading some troops and vehicles in a 'town square' without any issues...I doubt there would be anything left standing if they had to hover into position.

wub
25th May 2006, 14:17
Two are scheduled to be on display at RIAT this year, 25/26 July.
Its 15th and 16th July this year