PDA

View Full Version : what to do after gaining fATPL?

alberto86
22nd May 2006, 21:36
Hello guys,

I'm an integrated ATPL student in Italy, and I'm often wondering what will my chances be after gaining a CPL/IR fATPL.

What would you suggest me to do? What's the first step towards a real job in aviation according to your opinion?

Many people say the best thing to do is becoming a VFR instructor and gain hours...but is it really useful? I hope some experienced pilots will be able to enlighten me, thanks!!

Rickford
23rd May 2006, 18:56
I'm not the best person to advise you as I am ex airforce 30 years and can now instruct for the joy of it rather than the monetary compensations. However, I live in a world of wannabes and of those who have frozen ATPLs and need to seek employment it would seem airlines seems to favour those who are FIs rather than those who became jobbing pilots (air taxi, photography etc). Around my area the pick up ratio favours FIs about 3 to 1 in time scale so you just need to factor in if that is worth say £6000 for the FI course. Judging by the aviation press demand for FIs seems to be on the up.....

IMC007
23rd May 2006, 19:25
Hi Alberto86

I would advocate a FI course, I became so much more comfortable and confident with my own flying ablity after instructing and although it may be single engine piston, it really does bring up your level of handling. It will serve two purposes, it will increase your hours which can only be a good thing and it will allow you to network. Furthermore whilst gaining those hours you can keep your eyes open for air taxi work etc, because although Rickford suggests that the airlines like to recruit FI's, in my experience they much prefer commercial experience (or at least that's what all my rejection letters keep saying!) and an FI with commercial experience should be very tempting.

Good luck whichever way you go.